Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Grumpy Old Bastard
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing ads on MSN with pictures of parking lots filled to the brim with brand new SUV's from 2018 they say never sold and are selling cheap.

Has anyone found a place that's actually selling these things??

·
Don't fear the Reaper
1,511 Posts
Flood damaged vehicles that have been totaled out by the insurance company and then bought very cheaply and then salvaged? Would be my first guess. Title checks would be in order to see if they had any form of salvage or damaged vehicle title.

After every major hurricane or flood event the used car market gets flooded (pun unintended) with 'cheap' vehicles.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Flood damaged vehicles that have been totaled out by the insurance company and then bought very cheaply and then salvaged? Would be my first guess. Title checks would be in order to see if they had any form of salvage or damaged vehicle title.

After every major hurricane or flood event the used car market gets flooded (pun unintended) with 'cheap' vehicles.

If I were to buy a brand new vehicle ever again (which I probably won't) I'd get one with hail or flood damage. I don't care what my vehicle looks like as long as it runs well and has an awesome stereo system.

Reactions: OhioMan and Eddie_T

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,964 Posts
Yeah, if it's too good to be true...

A friend of mine got a "really good deal" on a truck that had been totaled out but had no apparent body damage and seemed to run well. He had a long series of repairs with it costing thousands. I believe it was flooded.

Houston has had an epic flood every year so a lot of damaged vehicles out there... buyer beware.

Jackson, the flooded out cars are only good for a year or two and then undergo multiple failures of things like the electrical system.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Yeah, if it's too good to be true...

A friend of mine got a "really good deal" on a truck that had been totaled out but had no apparent body damage and seemed to run well. He had a long series of repairs with it costing thousands. I believe it was flooded.

Houston has had an epic flood every year so a lot of damaged vehicles out there... buyer beware.

Jackson, the flooded out cars are only good for a year or two and then undergo multiple failures of things like the electrical system.

You're probably right. I've never owned one but I have had vehicles with hail damage that were just fine. A few dents never hurt anyone.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,964 Posts
I wouldn't have a problem with hail. One thing about a new car, it seems everyone goes out of their way to "hurt" it.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
too many computers, electronics and wiring on new vehicles... heck they're hobbled new just because of that... buying anything damaged with other than superficial damage (hail, vandalism) is just rolling the dice....

·
Semper Fi
8,962 Posts

I think they wash most if not all of those vehicles titles through states that don't document salvage.

·
prepared for life & death
2,469 Posts
Yeah OK. New Chevy Tahoes range from 50-75K depending on your flavor of options. Cheap???? I think manufacturers will crush them before selling them at a loss. People are buying them left and right. For the life of me I just can't figure out how. IF I was able I still would not buy new. Too much of a loss driving off the lot. But I see people doing it every day.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Yeah OK. New Chevy Tahoes range from 50-75K depending on your flavor of options. Cheap???? I think manufacturers will crush them before selling them at a loss. People are buying them left and right. For the life of me I just can't figure out how. IF I was able I still would not buy new. Too much of a loss driving off the lot. But I see people doing it every day.

I can't imagine paying an additional $800.00 a month on top of my current bills. Then there's the cost of full insurance coverage. I will likely never buy a brand new vehicle ever again unless I have some rich uncle I don't know about who leaves me millions.

·
Swift Justice = 2950fps
10,447 Posts
I keep seeing ads on MSN with pictures of parking lots filled to the brim with brand new SUV's from 2018 they say never sold and are selling cheap.

Has anyone found a place that's actually selling these things??
Years ago, I asked a friend who owned a new car dealership....”What happens to all the cars you can’t sell?”. He replied....” Believe it or not, there’s an ass for every seat”.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,523 Posts
THE WIFE bought a 2012 Jeep Liberty, the last year they were built. She loves them. It is the newest vehicle we have.

My newest is a 2006 Silverado, bought used last year.
Next is the 2000 Cherokee, bought used in 2004.
Next is my 1994 Chevy 3500 dually, 454CI with 5spd manny tranny. (hear Tim Allen approval grunt here:D:)

I like vehicles that actually have room under the hood for extras, like an extra battery, something I do to all my vehicles. I run 2 batteries in parallel without an isolator and never have any electrical issues ... ever... because there is always enough amperage for whatever needs to function.

I know several folks who bought some of those great deals and when they started having real electrical issues they could always trace it back to some kind of flood damage.

New vehicles are nice but I am way past wanting to plunk down the money to buy one. And, while looking for one ton trucks, unless you go old and find a big block you will have to go diesel and no thanks.
If that engine goes, I can buy a good used replacement for less than the price of injector replacements on a diesel.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
My brother got a great deal on a new Honda that was sitting on the lot in 2006, the car was a 2004 and definitely new. He put 200k miles on it.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,964 Posts
My husband got run over by a Silverado, 1994 dark green. It was totalled from running into him. That never inspired a lot of confidence for me with Silverados.

The guys who help us with supply runs generally drive Ford f-150's but there is a Ram in there also.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts