Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a new fixed blade knife. In cruising all of the various online forums, it seems as if the term "survival knife" means different things to different people. At what point does my Leatherman Wave become a survival knife? It seems as if any knife that I have with me in some sort of survival situation becomes a survival knife. How many people who own, what is being called a survival knife, have actually used it for more than cutting a piece of line? I suppose it also depends on where and how it's used. If I keep it in my truck, that's different than if it's in my daypack on a one day hike in the mountains. Anyway, bottom line, what is a survival knife for you?

·
"Survivalist since Birth"
551 Posts
What is a survival Knife to me

Well, first off, a survival knife to me is the knife I carry with me at all times. Be it one of my various folder or one of my "outdoor knives" knives (aka I dont walk down the street with my Kabar Combat/Utility or Sog Super Bowie.

My vision of a survival knife? A 4-7 inch blade, serrations depending on your preference (most prefer straight edge), with a NON-TANTO TIP, that is usually high carbon steel of some sort. NO RAMBO KNIVES. I prefer non slip/blister, synthetic materials for the handels such as the glass filled nylon handel on my AMERICAN MADE kabar.

·
Super Moderator
12,343 Posts
Being old, when I hear 'survival knife' I always flash on the hollow handle, saw back blade, with a compass in the cap knives that became popular in the early days of the 'survivalist' movement. There were only a couple that were of any real utility.

Then came the big movie knifes touted as 'survival' knives.

Didn't fall for either one of those crazes. Always just kept a good outdoor 'hunting' knife or three for use outdoors.

Now I don't really use the term. The knife I use in the field, that is capable of being used as a weapon, that is still adequate for skinning and butchering meat, as well as being used for kitchen duties, is the closest I would come to calling something a 'survival knife'.

I currently have two Cold Steel ODA's, which work just fine for what I do, or might need to do, in the field, in a camping, bug-out, or true survival situation.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Sami knife

Like this one? (This blade is actually 9.25 inches).

I also vote for the leuku/Sami knife. Finer work can be done with the part of the blade close to the handle, but it can also function as a hatchet/machete for building shelters. It's also good for butchering game and many other purposes, including defense. That's why it's a survival knife to me. Many different functions in a survival situation.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
A knife that will do what you need and NOT BREAK or FAIL. Carries well and you will not easily loose.

You also have the phrase "bush craft" tossed about too. A light weight 3" bush craft knife has it place on you side or in your pack. You need something that can chop, stab, for shelter and defense. A solid piece of steel with handles attached to it on each side. Drop point blade with enough of a clip point to stab.

rat cutlery - RC3, 4, 5, 6 look pretty good examples
Rangers RD's

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Like this one? (This blade is actually 9.25 inches).

I also vote for the leuku/Sami knife. Finer work can be done with the part of the blade close to the handle, but it can also function as a hatchet/machete for building shelters. It's also good for butchering game and many other purposes, including defense. That's why it's a survival knife to me. Many different functions in a survival situation.
I agree. However I prefer the 8 inch blade over the longer and shorter ones. With 8 inches I have the power of the longer blade and the finework blade of the shorter ones.
In addition to the Sami knife I have a bunch of homemade traditional norwegian knives with 2, 3 and 4 inch blades.
I stick to these types because I am a fan of craftsmanship and because they have been proven as survival tools through centuries.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
[QUOTE=cadjak;146941 At what point does my Leatherman Wave become a survival knife?
Your Leatherman is a utility knife or a tool, however it may be used in a survival situation. There are certain knives that have been produced that have a space for various things such as fish hooks etc etc, these I supose may be defined as survival knives, purpose built, many including myself do not put much faith in these knives for their hollow handles. Knives such as those issued to air men are designed as work horse knives, tough no nonsense things designed to take the s%!t given to it.For me there is no survival knife, just the knife I choose to take with me on the day, usually a bush craft knife that may be used for a multitude of tasks including peeling the potatoes for the stew tonight.

·
V
21,713 Posts
To my mind and my personal opinion, any knife can be used in the bush/woods, as long as you use it correctly and within its limitations.

The term "Survival Knife" is a selling point nothing more, Look at the Scandinavian knives, they're workhorses designed and made to be used (not abused) and used often.

Our forbearers The Mountain Man, Trappers, Hunters and Explorers all used Kitchen knives some with slight modifications most not, I might be wrong and hopefully if I am someone will point me to some solid information, but the first custom built knife as we know it was probably Jim Bowies and that was designed for fighting.

You won’t split logs with your leatherman BUT you can do all your camp craft chores and game preparation with one (if a little awkwardly).

Just my 2c’s :rolleyes:

·
Registered
95 Posts
To me, a survival knife is a knife that was made or obtained with the purpose in mind of being used when all other equipment fails.

Like my USAF "pilot's" survival knife, it will probably outlast me. I've used it for everything and it's seen me through some rough times. From being used as a hunting and fishing knife in SD to bleaching out in the sun in the desert. As many ropes I have cut with it, wood split, tent pegs pounded, and steaks from the chow hall cut, the only thing that happened to it is the handguard has a little play in it now and I had to replace the sheath once.

·
Registered
471 Posts
The term "survival knife" is fairly new, at least to someone my age, as was mentioned earlier most knives used on the frontier were simple kitchen knives and for the most part they did the job. From what I have seen most people carrying some big "survival knife" seldom use them for anything because they are too big or they are too small for the job at hand. I think any good quality knife that you use can be concidered a survival knife. The hard part is trying to find a knife that will work for most jobs so you only have to carry one.
I carry a USMC ka-bar simply because it was given to me but I have been known to carry my camp axe in my pack as well.

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
Full tang heavy spine and about a five inch blade.
Peter

Reactions: sparky5

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would call ist "field-Knife"
something fixed, full-tang, non-sawback, non -Tanto-tip.
3-8 inch Blade:)
the length of blade you could carry "always", at home it does not help to survive.
I would prefer carbon steel over stainless but that is your choice.
in addition always carry a swiss-army-knife-style pocket knife.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Look at the knives that traditional people use, they've kept generations alive but also think about the terrain and climate where you'll be surviving.

A 4inch pukko isn't going to be as useful as a parang/golok/machete if you're in the jungle.

If you're in North America or Northern Europe then a small axe, 4inch fixed blade and pocket knife give you a lot of flexibility. This idea goes back to Nessmuk and his "Trilogy" concept.

Alternatively Survivorman seems to do OK with his Swiss Champ.

·
Read Only
251 Posts
I don't use the term "survival knife". Bush craft knife or field knife is more appropriate for my usage. When hunting I use a skinning knife and a utility knife. The rest of my outdoor excursions I use a Fallkniven H1. For everyday carry I have a Spyderco Salt and a Leatherman Wave.

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
34,861 Posts
I've contacted AG Russell, Co. to see if they would be willing to produce a knife that's been bouncing around in my head (not literally of course...those are peas). It would be a combination between a heavy, bruiser knife like a K-Bar or jungle Bowie, and Leatherman. The handle could be compartmentalized to carry various, necessary attachments. At the butt of the handle would be a place to attach the attachments (screw driver, awl, etc. and whatever). It could even have some hinged attachments. Maybe the idea is stupid but with today's technologies, I bet someone could pull it off. I also told AG that the knife would have to be produced here in the USA or I won't buy it :). I'll let you know what they say when they respond.

P.S. I would buy a knife from England, Germany, Spain, etc...I'm just not interested in buying from a Communist Chinese sweat shop. Don't mean to offend my friends from Europe or Canada.

·
Junior Oldie
817 Posts
Well, following the line that the tool I have is the tool I'll be using, my survival knife at this moment is a Spyderco Native with a GIN-1 blade. One of my favorites to carry, with the only drawback being the rivet that I never have got around to replacing.

While I know that I would be using a folder for most of the basic chores of survival, I personally do not think of a folder as a survival knife. I do not think of my old Leatherman PST2, which has survival in the name, or my many other multitools and Wenger swiss army knives that I have as survival knives. To me, a survival knife is a fixed blade - around 5-7 inches - with a strong point, a thick blade, a full tang, a comfortable handle, made with a minimum of fancy touches in either knife or sheath. It is a simple, strong tool.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts