Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Prairie sasquatch
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the weather has not been cooperating lately.
It has been -30 and with windchill -40 for the better part of two weeks. Going outside can be an option but I am avoiding the long hikes ect as small mistakes can turn you in to a meat popsicle in no time.
This has got me to doing a few things around the house, but coming up with stuff now is becoming a little harder.

So what do you guys do when you are inside for prolonged periods? Here is what i have done so far.
Made a laminated inventory of the pantry and the medi kit so I now have a running total of what I have.
Gone through the bob to see what is needed / just dead weight.
Made soup, muffins, bread....
Read through my new Backwoods magazine.
Cleaned under the bed. (Its like a lost kingdom there)
Finally put up my stained glass window.
Dusted
Tried my deadfalls, snares ect to keep the rust off me.

You can put anything funny, serious ect here. What do you do stuck indoors...

·
LEGAL citizen
15,269 Posts
If I lived in a place where I would be snowed in for weeks at a time, I would have a room setup as a library and would be an avid book collector and reader. Of course I would have the luxuries of television and such, but sometimes you need to stimulate your brain and reading is the best way to do that.

I've always wanted a large library...

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
1] Hack China, Russia, N Korea -- your choice. If it is N Korea make sure all the photos of Kim get photo-shopped with a decent hair style.

2] Learn a new language. Or brush up on an old one you've forgotten.

3] Take an online [free] course in something you've never studied. Entry level of course. Or just go to Khanacademy.org and brush up on a subject you were never good with.

4] Calculate the air volume of your house [see the geometry section of #3 if needed], then calculate the amount of O2, C02, N, and so on.

4A] Calculate how long until you suffocate if your house gets in cased in ice.

5] Give yourself a pedicure.

6] 50 sit ups three times a day

7] Rearrange the furniture in the livingroom/familyroom.

8] Find a blank map [with only country lines] and see how many countries you can correctly remember. Then learn the rest. This is good for all those misc. countries that have changed their names since you finished school.

9] Write your last will and testament.

10] Start growing something. Herbs, radishes, green beans. Don't worry if you don't have the right gear now. Just start. [if you don't have any dirt -- unfrozen -- figure out how to grow hydroponically.

·
Closed for the Season.
15,773 Posts
Some folks handle the idleness and enforced indoors without effort. I just go mad (stark raving bonkers) as a means of passing time. There is just so much constrictive things that you can do before the grim reality of the excruciating slow march of the clock ticking, and the refrigerator compressor cycling, drives you nuts anyway. So might as will embrace the crazy.

·
Retired, Uncommon Drunk
1,394 Posts
I do 4 things when the weather is frightful:

1. Reload.
2. Reload.
3. Step out on the back porch, test a few new reloads.
4. Reload some more.

Oh, and after I'm done, fire-up the grill for some Angus Beef, and an amusing Kentucky Bourbon.....

DocZeus
AKA
The Days (And Glass) Are Filled One.....

·
Registered
433 Posts
Make sure you do not do any lead bullet casting indoors. I did it once in a garage with the door open, and got a three day headache.
Now only do it outdoors.
But you can reload indoors. Make up some boolits.

BTW, after about 30 years of reloading, I am finally going to do .223.
Have heard there are problems with stickage in the dies, and Primer punching difficulty, and crushing of shells. Any suggestions out there?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Build a muzzle loader, or get Dave Gingry's series of books "How to Build a Metal Working Shop From Scrap". Then build a metal working shop from scrap.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Binge watch "Game of Thrones", "Vera", and "Vikings"---re-read some WSHTF books on my Kindle...cuddle with my dog...enjoy an adult beverage or two...clean my weapons or go through my BOBs---again. It very seldom gets too bad to go outside in SC, winters in the deep South are hell.

·
Registered
89 Posts
1. Baked bread
2. Calculated how much propane I would use in a complete power failure.
3. Played Video games thanking my lucky stars there was no power failure
4. Read a book
5. Called other shut-ins
6. Played indoor fetch with the dog until my arm almost fell off.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts