Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When would you bug out and go to BOL? Would you wait until authorities told you to leave or would you go as soon as something happened? What is your signal to Bug Out?

·
I come in peace..
1,296 Posts
Anything can happen that will strike the match for my bugout.... I will stay at home w family until I have to leave.

• looters/ raiders
  • house falling apart due to weather such as strong tornato (?) actually go to basement most likely
  • otherwise uninhabitable due to air like soot or airborn contamination
  • family deems another place is safer/ better such as going to fathers or brothers house
  • run out of supplies

·
Banned
9,794 Posts
Unless I'm in danger of being overwhelmed, or some super pandemic breaks out, I'm staying put. I'm already pretty remote, and I have good natural defenses in addition to the things I have done with security in mind.

I do have a place in mind if I have to make a quick retreat, and I have supplies cached, but I don't have a mountain retreat or anything like that. If I have to bug out, things are gonna be BAD.

·
Banned
6,236 Posts
When would you bug out and go to BOL? Would you wait until authorities told you to leave or would you go as soon as something happened? What is your signal to Bug Out?
The very minute they start talking about Martial Law.
After that goes into effect, you will not be able to travel freely, and quite possibly get stuck between a rock and a hard place.
If You are able to move, you will be at the mercy of anybody and everybody. You need to be settled and stable before the SHTF.

·
Registered
21,967 Posts
When is it time to leave?

1. Your bug in location is no longer safe, and/or is in the danger area

OR

2. You will soon be prevented from leaving the area due to man-made actions

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,841 Posts
Since it's easy to get caught up in traffic or a stream of evacuees, I'm of the mindset to bug out at a moment's notice as soon as a situation seems to be developing that would warrant it. It's better to have a few false starts than a single late one.

·
Banned
398 Posts
The more thought I've devoted to this topic, things would have to be extremely bad before I would bugout. I have two places within two hours to go, but neither are setup properly to accommodate "long-term" survival and I would be a guest at each location. Luckily, I'm in a state which embraces firearms and am not too concerned with raiders. Military action or nuclear threats are about the only things that would make me bugout.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I would bug in as long as possible. Chances are if the authorities tell you to get out, it is probably too late for you. My biggest signal is when order begins to give way to violence, looting, or the suggestion of martial law.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
A lot depends on the situation and a place to go. If you have no place to go with resources you would have to be a fool to leave. UNLESS staying means certain death!

People seem to have forgot what death by exposure means. If you have a roof over your head and nothing else you are still ahead of the game.

·
10,548 Posts
90% of the things that would cause someone to need to "Bug Out", are aleviated by my Choice of Location. Make a Plan, and Stick with it. If you win, you Live, if you Lose, the Price gets Higher. Do what you can, and Beleive in Yourself instead of the Lost Gods, and you will Survive. Basic Darwinism.:thumb:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would have to agree with the first sign that martial law is coming. Take a lesson from new Orleans. Once they declare it, houses will be swept, guns will be taken no matter how good of a citizen you are. "IF" they let you leave, guns will be taken through a checkpoint. My fuel is stored and I'm bugging out first sight of anything funny goin. If your caught in an urban area when they declare martial law, your screwed. Imo

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Honestly it will vary as to when we bug out. If the grid truly goes down we would get moving pretty fast. If violence breaks out and starts to move in our direction we would make a move. If it comes as a missile attack forget it since you would have less than 30 minutes tops to be at your BOL or undercover.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The only reason for us to ever bug out of our current location would be a chemical spill from a near-by railroad and even that might be too far away to warrant us leaving. Other than that slight possibility, we're sitting tight.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Everyone has pretty much covered all the signals for bugging out....
Remember to keep a watch on what is going on financially here and globally. It is a domino effect....Other countries falling financially before we do. Most of you have heard of the term "bank holiday"....that is when the banks close their doors for a duration with no notice to you. Could be for a couple of days, weeks, months...whatever until they restructure.....that of course will set off riots and all kinds of fun things to deal with....Keep up on what is happening in the financial world. You need to of course have money with you before this happens. Plan now for this. When you see people here making a run on the banks, its time for you to run to your bol.

·
Living To Ride
2,030 Posts
After concluding that no matter how much we prepped stock piled and stored ultimately we were only prolonging the inevitable. Our life expectancy limited to how much we could stock pile. We decided the only way to assure long term survival was to be self sustaining. So we bugged out ten years ago. What we have learned is that the chances of building a sustaining homestead after SHTF are slim and none. Even if we had managed to succeed it will be a meager hand to mouth subsistence existence. There is just to many tools pieces of equipment skills knowledge and experience that are needed we had not thought of until we were doing it. Today while the infrastructure is intact we can acquire whatever we need. We have the time and resources to learn anything we need to know. If we make a mistake or experience a failure now it is a learning experience. After SHTF lack of a piece of equipment tool experience or knowledge can be a death sentence. Failures of any kind will most likely diminish our quality of life significantly and very possibly be a death sentence.

So IMHO the time to bug out was ten years ago failing that now ASAP. The longer you delay the lower your chances of long term survival. For those who claim it can not be done, my guess is it is because this is not a way of life that they want to live. The big screen TV, shopping malls, nice car, membership in the country or yacht club, nice home in the burbs and prestigious job are more important. That is fine nothing wrong with that. We each define and pursue happiness differently. For those who want to survive long term in relative comfort obtaining a homestead becoming self sustaining is well within the realm of possibility. Once they are committed to doing what ever is necessary, willing to make whatever sacrifices are needed to assure their families survival no matter what happens in the world. Quit making excuses of why it can not happen and decide to make it happen. A homestead will be theirs. In short if you don't really want it of course it is impossible but if you do than it will happen as long as you make the effort to make it happen.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts