• If Im forced to live underground greater than a year

• Extinction Level Event happens, Im out

• Never! This is Sparta!!

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Truth Seeker
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the debbie downer thread, just wondering when/if you'll give up.

What are you willing to endure to survive?

Are you willing to live underground for years, possibly decades?

What if several more bio attacks happen. Do you keep fighting?

Why? What drives you.

·
Bug-In Prepper
1,072 Posts
When I and my family benefit more from my death than my life, I'll consider it.

I'm a utilitarian consequentialist. I make decisions based on their expected repercussions. The repercussions of giving up seem unlikely to be of use, but who knows what the future may hold.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I almost said Extinction level event, but honestly I would probably try to keep my family surviving as long as I can. I'm not the best farmer, but I can skin a buck, and run a trot line, as Bosephus used to say. As for living underground more than a year, HA. That's nothing at all. Nukes? I am prepared for that for about 6 months so the worst would be wind blown by then.
No, i think i'd just keep on going if I had to scrape lichen off the rocks to keep us alive. We're a hardy bunch down here with a strong will to survive.

·
The Black Death
263 Posts
I probably began feeling pain and pleasure on day one of conception. The longer that I live, the more that I get to see and experience so I'm not really willing to check out ahead of time and believe that I will fight to live at all costs, but I've yet to face that barrier. That impenetrable mental and physical wall.

Members of my family have had car accidents that were horrific. We came back. We struggle.

I had open heart surgery in late 2017 to replace an aortic valve and have a 3-way bypass. I've come back. I need to work on my weight and exercise but it is hard in February in deep Winter.

Currently I feed my family's 16+ year old Bichon with a spoon at least half of the time. I've fed him Ensure with a baby bottle to keep him alive to get him to where he is right now. He's on a little pain medication and steroids for a small tumor in his throat, but he's a happy camper and I will not quit on him until he lets me know that it's time to check out. I'll know when and it may be in a week or two or a month or two. It will not be long. But if I throw in the towel and take his life when it is not time, I'm evil. He is not suffering and I will not let him suffer.

I refuse to give up and if you're in the fight and close by, I'll fight to sustain you as well within reason. I will not do anything that imperils my life or those around me to help anyone.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm in it for 'the sport,' no biological heirs just a few much younger (and uber Conservative) friends that I worry about and am leaving trusts for.* Just don't want to miss the upcoming conflagration.

° and a local dog rescue shelter

·
Registered
11,790 Posts
When my heart quits and there’s no doctor to fix it...I guess that will do it. Until then, I’m gonna be triggering leftists and speaking the truth as long as I can. There may be no one to say it to...but I’ll still be saying I told you so, you sorry sacks of stupid.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
God decides when I get to leave this earth. I know I'll be going to a better place, so I have no fear. God wanted me here, that is why the sniper who had killed so many in our company missed ME that day in Viet Nam.

I've had lots of brushes with death since, but I am sure he put me here at this time and this place for some reason. There were just too many MIRACLES when I was putting this place together for me to NOT BELIEVE that he has a purpose for me here.

Like when I found a PROPANE refrigerator here on this place that WORKED when I was camping while working here, and didn't have electricity yet. Not earth shattering consequences, but the odds of that happening are incalculable.

Or when I got a good deal on a camper trailer and when I brought it out here I literally had no place to put it because of the amount of junk that was piled up here. But when I got it here a guy that I had given all the junk vehicles to but he hadn't moved any yet, just happened to pull his first one out in a perfect place to put my new camper.

Things like that happened over and over, like when I was ready to install a shower in my new house. I was looking at them in the store, but was putting off buying one because of the cost, $2500. But I found the same type shower I had been looking to buy, at a garage sale that had never been installed still in the box for $125. Just unbelievable.

So I don't know when I get to leave this job God sent me to do. None of my business. Whenever he decides my mission is done I'm ready.

·
Registered
242 Posts
You know that scene in Lone Survivor when Axe is sitting against the tree and he sends that last round from his M9 before taking a round to the head? I'll have to be about at that point.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
you don't go down that path - EVER - you never say pizz on it ....

you know the movie The Mist?? - sci fy with the surviving the SHTF in a grocery store with a bunch of azzholes twist to it - he uses the last of his ammo to kill everyone in the vehicle - including his son - seconds before the Mist clears and the army comes rolling in >>> reality can be that strange & fickle

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,675 Posts
NEVAH!!!!!!!
I HAVE fought too hard against some interesting odds to simply say "NO MAS"
Besides, toughness and durability are in the genetics.
A couple of times in my years of combat I got killed, but got better.
IF I get to be the last person on earth, so be it.

Just think, no more TSA lines, no more of the Covid masking up, no more toll booths or annoying phone calls from Indian solicitors named John or Bill or Ghanswala,
and all the great places to visit without having to deal with tourists and their tiny cameras getting in your way.
and
I will finally be able to afford to start flying again since everything will be FREE...

I'm in...

·
The Power of the Glave
2,349 Posts

·
Learner/Tradesman
117 Posts
Can't really say for sure until the time comes. You can say one thing, but when it comes down to instinct level, you'll do whatever your instincts tell you.

I've already had some times in life where I was ready to check out anytime, but then even worse things happened and my survival instincts overruled my apathy. What I have concluded from that is to take each day as it comes. Things will work out however they work out.

·
Midwest Born
1,008 Posts
Good Post, but needs more poll answers probably. As I age I really find the driving need to survive lessen a bit every year as my children age. Effectively, they could survive on their own without me. That is a good feeling. There are a multitude of situations where my long term survival would be highly questionable, whereas, theirs may even me probable. Thus, my goal is no longer my survival for their sake but to survive long enough that I am able to give them advantage and contribute. When my existence becomes a burden or danger to them, then it will be my time. I don't know if it will be loading them up and sending them off or me taking that lone walk into the wilderness. But that is my line

1 - 20 of 96 Posts