Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that I know what is the correct answer. I'm thinking we need a high ranking military officer that knows when to hold'm and when to fold'm in half. Now, with out being a veteran myself, it seems we need somebody calling the shots that on one hand does not want war but not afraid to drop the hammer based on the Americans best interest not the global dollar. Arm and train our citizens. Weed out the threat and inform those who want a peaceful America. An America who stands it's ground, that knows and defends our amendments and civil rights. In my lifetime of 38yrs I've not seen a unified nation that loves and supports not one of our presidents as we have in the earliest days of OUR AMERICA. I'm sure I'll get schooled, called out for this or that. Well if I had the answers I'd be president. Sorry not running, I'm not skilled for that task. What say you?

·
Registered
656 Posts
G.H.W. Bush was the last to see actual action as a pilot in WWII. His plane took flak but completed he his bombing mission before ditching in the ocean.

A president can't declare war that's the job of Congress. The president wanting to go to war means nothing if The Congress doesn't allow it. The president doesn't have to have a lot of experience in the military because he has the Joint Chiefs of Staff (military advisers) to help him with those types of decisions. If he's not willing to listen to them (like our current president) he'll run the military to the ground and makes us look weak and foolish

·
Heliphobe
788 Posts
GHWB dropped out of college after Pearl Harbor to enlist in the Navy and became the youngest combat aviator of the time at 18. As mentioned earlier his plane took flak ... AND WAS ON FIRE ... but he still completed the mission before ditching. He was rescued by a sub, and stayed on the sub to aid in pilot rescue. He flew 58 combat missions, earned the Distinguished Flying Cross, and 3 Navy Air Medals. I had the honor of serving on his namesake, the USS George H W Bush, and meeting him personally. Last President we had that understood combat, sacrifice, courage under actual fire (not media pressure), and service before self.

For reference, he also had the restraint to stop once we pushed Iraq back into their borders because he figured we'd get caught up in a never ending mess and didn't want to risk the blood of our nation on that mess. His son missed that lesson, I guess.

·
Native Cracker Cowhunter
1,897 Posts
I recently read a very interesting book on President James Madison that gave a fairly detailed account of our first legally declared war-- the War of 1812. Madison during the flight from the White House actually while in a "fire fight" on the front line took the job of the Secretary of War, acted as a true Commander in Chief and made battle field decisions that saved the nation from total destruction.

His decisive action (and Mrs. Dolley Madison) with valor, honor and bravery was an act no other President ever or will ever match.

·
Weed 'em and reap
31,184 Posts
G.H.W. Bush was the last to see actual action as a pilot in WWII. His plane took flak but completed he his bombing mission before ditching in the ocean.

A president can't declare war that's the job of Congress. The president wanting to go to war means nothing if The Congress doesn't allow it. The president doesn't have to have a lot of experience in the military because he has the Joint Chiefs of Staff (military advisers) to help him with those types of decisions. If he's not willing to listen to them (like our current president) he'll run the military to the ground and makes us look weak and foolish
We're approaching the day when the military will have to defy the civil authority in order to fulfill their purpose. Like Gen. Carter Ham disobeying Obama's stand down orders during Benghazi, or Egyptian General al-Sisi overthrowing the Muslim Brotherhood.

Although necessary in each case, it sets an unacceptable and dangerous precedent of allowing the military to countermand the civil authority to which they are meant to be subordinate.

Thanks, Obama. Just another cherished protection you've undermined.

·
Hoc Defendam
583 Posts
Democrat Presidents
Barack Obama No Military Service

Bill Clinton No Military Service

Jimmy Carter World War II at the*United States Naval Academy*Sea duty and stateside service 1946–1953 during the*Korean War.

Lyndon B. Johnson World War II received*Silver Star*medal after observation mission in which aircraft he was on came under Japanese attack.

John F. Kennedy World War II received*Navy and Marine Corps Medaland*Purple Heart

Harry S. Truman Stateside National Guard service in Missouri (1905–1911); World War I (1917–1918); transferred to Army Reserve and retired in 1953.

Franklin D. Roosevelt None;*Assistant Secretary of the Navy*in World War I. Attempted to resign in order to enter uniformed service, but resignation not accepted. Visited France as part of Navy Department duties to observe military activities first hand.

Woodrow Wilson No Military Service

Grover Cleveland Paid George Benninsky $150 to take his place after Cleveland was drafted during*Civil War*underConscription Act of 1863. (Coward!!)

Andrew Johnson Served in Tennessee Militia in 1830s.*American Civil War; served as Military*Governor of Tennessee*in 1862.

James Buchanan War of 1812

Franklin Pierce New Hampshire Militia, 1831–46;*Mexican–American War; commanded Infantry Brigade at*Battle of Contreras(where his leg was injured),*Battle of Churubusco, and the*Assault on Mexico City.

James K. Polk Joined cavalry unit in Tennessee Militia as a Captain. Subsequently appointed a Colonel on the staff ofGovernor*William Carroll. Did not see war service.

Martin Van Buren None; as*State Senator*during War of 1812 worked to pass war measures, including bills to expand*New Yorkmilitia and increase soldier pay. Special Judge Advocate appointed to aid in prosecuting*William Hull*at Hull's court-martial after surrender of*Detroit.

Andrew Jackson American Revolutionary War,*War of 1812,*Creek War,First Seminole War

Republican Presidents

George W. Bush Stateside service as pilot during*Vietnam War*(1968–1973) Received early discharge in 1973

George H. W. Bush World War II (1942–1945)*Distinguished Flying Cross.

Ronald Reagan Stateside service during World War II (1942–1945); Army Reserve (1937–1942)

Gerald Ford World War II (1942–1945); combat on*USS Monterey, discharged in 1946.

Richard Nixon World War II (1942–1945); Earned two Service Stars.

Dwight D. Eisenhower Stateside service during World War I. Served asSupreme Allied Commander*in Europe during World War II (1942–1945). Visited troops in Korea in December 1952. Entire active-duty career spanned from 1915 until 1969 (excepting his two terms as president and Commander-in-Chief).

Herbert Hoover None; helped guide US Marines in 1900 during theBoxer Rebellion.

Calvin Coolidge No Military Service

Warren G. Harding No Military Service

William Howard Taft None;*United States Secretary of War*1904–1908. Enlisted in*Connecticut*Home Guard for*World War I.

Theodore Roosevelt Spanish–American War*– only U.S. President to receive the*Medal of Honor*(awarded posthumously in 2001). Also a Navy Civilian, as*Assistant Secretary of the Navy

William McKinley American Civil War. Served in the*23rd Ohio Infantryunder future President*Rutherford B. Hayes; fought in the*Battle of South Mountain,*The Battle of Antietam, and in the*Valley Campaigns of 1864

Benjamin Harrison American Civil War; Commanded an Infantry Brigade at the battles of*Resaca,*New Hope Church,*Kennesaw Mountain,*Marietta,*Peachtree Creek*and*Atlanta; also Commanded a Brigade during*Sherman's March to the Sea.

Chester A. Arthur Judge Advocate General, Second Brigade of the New York Militia. Served as Engineer-in-Chief on the Governor's staff, Quartermaster General and Inspector General of the New York Militia before and during the American Civil War. Declined appointment as commander of the*9th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment*and command of four New York City regiments organized as the Metropolitan Brigade when Governor requested he remain Quartermaster General.

James A. Garfield American Civil War*(1861–1863; commanded an Ohio Infantry Brigade at the Battles of*Shiloh*and*Corinth; served as Chief of Staff for*General William Rosecransat the*Battle of Chickamauga; left the army to serve in the*United States House of Representatives).

Rutherford B. Hayes American Civil War. Served in the*23rd Ohio Infantry*and commanded future President*William McKinley; wounded at the*Battle of South Mountain; also served at the*Battle of Antietam*and in the*Valley Campaigns of 1864.

Ulysses S. Grant Mexican–American War*and*American Civil War; served 1843–54 and 1861–68.

Abraham Lincoln Black Hawk War*(served three months in 1832)

And the win goes to Republicans for having more presidents with a backbone than Democrats. Then you have the Democratic-Republican party (precursor to today's Republican party). Members of this party included Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe and John Quincy Adams.

There was also the Whig party consisting of William Henry Harrison, John Tyler, Zachary Taylor and Millard Fillmore.

The Federalist party consisting of John Adams.

The only Non-affiliated President in history was George Washington. Well all know he served. Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, Andrew Jackson, William Henry Harrison, John Tyler, Zachary Taylor and Millard Fillmore also served in the military.

·
Registered
19,533 Posts
Being put in charge of the military yet you have no military experience at all.
Smart.
Personally, I'd like to see POTUS treated like the military in at least one fashion.
Give them random drug tests.
I'd bet slick Willie would have failed. I KNOW the current one would.

·
NRA Life 1971
9,102 Posts
We're approaching the day when the military will have to defy the civil authority in order to fulfill their purpose. Like Gen. Carter Ham disobeying Obama's stand down orders during Benghazi, or Egyptian General al-Sisi overthrowing the Muslim Brotherhood.

Although necessary in each case, it sets an unacceptable and dangerous precedent of allowing the military to counterpart the civil authority to which they are meant to be subordinate.

The military must defend the Constitution especially when a rogue administration attempts to subvert it.

·
Weed 'em and reap
31,184 Posts
Democrat Presidents
Barack Obama No Military Service

Bill Clinton No Military Service

Jimmy Carter World War II at the*United States Naval Academy*Sea duty and stateside service 1946–1953 during the*Korean War.

Lyndon B. Johnson World War II received*Silver Star*medal after observation mission in which aircraft he was on came under Japanese attack.

John F. Kennedy World War II received*Navy and Marine Corps Medaland*Purple Heart

Harry S. Truman Stateside National Guard service in Missouri (1905–1911); World War I (1917–1918); transferred to Army Reserve and retired in 1953.

Franklin D. Roosevelt None;*Assistant Secretary of the Navy*in World War I. Attempted to resign in order to enter uniformed service, but resignation not accepted. Visited France as part of Navy Department duties to observe military activities first hand.

Woodrow Wilson No Military Service

Grover Cleveland Paid George Benninsky $150 to take his place after Cleveland was drafted during*Civil War*underConscription Act of 1863. (Coward!!)

Andrew Johnson Served in Tennessee Militia in 1830s.*American Civil War; served as Military*Governor of Tennessee*in 1862.

James Buchanan War of 1812

Franklin Pierce New Hampshire Militia, 1831–46;*Mexican–American War; commanded Infantry Brigade at*Battle of Contreras(where his leg was injured),*Battle of Churubusco, and the*Assault on Mexico City.

James K. Polk Joined cavalry unit in Tennessee Militia as a Captain. Subsequently appointed a Colonel on the staff ofGovernor*William Carroll. Did not see war service.

Martin Van Buren None; as*State Senator*during War of 1812 worked to pass war measures, including bills to expand*New Yorkmilitia and increase soldier pay. Special Judge Advocate appointed to aid in prosecuting*William Hull*at Hull's court-martial after surrender of*Detroit.

Andrew Jackson American Revolutionary War,*War of 1812,*Creek War,First Seminole War

Republican Presidents

George W. Bush Stateside service as pilot during*Vietnam War*(1968–1973) Received early discharge in 1973

George H. W. Bush World War II (1942–1945)*Distinguished Flying Cross.

Ronald Reagan Stateside service during World War II (1942–1945); Army Reserve (1937–1942)

Gerald Ford World War II (1942–1945); combat on*USS Monterey, discharged in 1946.

Richard Nixon World War II (1942–1945); Earned two Service Stars.

Dwight D. Eisenhower Stateside service during World War I. Served asSupreme Allied Commander*in Europe during World War II (1942–1945). Visited troops in Korea in December 1952. Entire active-duty career spanned from 1915 until 1969 (excepting his two terms as president and Commander-in-Chief).

Herbert Hoover None; helped guide US Marines in 1900 during theBoxer Rebellion.

Calvin Coolidge No Military Service

Warren G. Harding No Military Service

William Howard Taft None;*United States Secretary of War*1904–1908. Enlisted in*Connecticut*Home Guard for*World War I.

Theodore Roosevelt Spanish–American War*– only U.S. President to receive the*Medal of Honor*(awarded posthumously in 2001). Also a Navy Civilian, as*Assistant Secretary of the Navy

William McKinley American Civil War. Served in the*23rd Ohio Infantryunder future President*Rutherford B. Hayes; fought in the*Battle of South Mountain,*The Battle of Antietam, and in the*Valley Campaigns of 1864

Benjamin Harrison American Civil War; Commanded an Infantry Brigade at the battles of*Resaca,*New Hope Church,*Kennesaw Mountain,*Marietta,*Peachtree Creek*and*Atlanta; also Commanded a Brigade during*Sherman's March to the Sea.

Chester A. Arthur Judge Advocate General, Second Brigade of the New York Militia. Served as Engineer-in-Chief on the Governor's staff, Quartermaster General and Inspector General of the New York Militia before and during the American Civil War. Declined appointment as commander of the*9th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment*and command of four New York City regiments organized as the Metropolitan Brigade when Governor requested he remain Quartermaster General.

James A. Garfield American Civil War*(1861–1863; commanded an Ohio Infantry Brigade at the Battles of*Shiloh*and*Corinth; served as Chief of Staff for*General William Rosecransat the*Battle of Chickamauga; left the army to serve in the*United States House of Representatives).

Rutherford B. Hayes American Civil War. Served in the*23rd Ohio Infantry*and commanded future President*William McKinley; wounded at the*Battle of South Mountain; also served at the*Battle of Antietam*and in the*Valley Campaigns of 1864.

Ulysses S. Grant Mexican–American War*and*American Civil War; served 1843–54 and 1861–68.

Abraham Lincoln Black Hawk War*(served three months in 1832)

And the win goes to Republicans for having more presidents with a backbone than Democrats. Then you have the Democratic-Republican party (precursor to today's Republican party). Members of this party included Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe and John Quincy Adams.

There was also the Whig party consisting of William Henry Harrison, John Tyler, Zachary Taylor and Millard Fillmore.

The Federalist party consisting of John Adams.

The only Non-affiliated President in history was George Washington. Well all know he served. Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, Andrew Jackson, William Henry Harrison, John Tyler, Zachary Taylor and Millard Fillmore also served in the military.
The two best Presidents of the last 100 years, Harding and Coolidge, both eschewed military service .

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sorry for the threadjack, but LBJ's Silver Star was a joke.

LBJ was a congressman before getting a commission and joining the war effort. He was onboard the aircraft as an observer when the plane experienced a malfunction and had to abort the mission. multiple crewmembers onboard the stated that the aircraft DID NOT come under attack, but Douglas McArthur gave LBJ the Silver Star in return for LBJ's promises for political favors. No other crew member of the plane received an award. Had they really been attacked, I find it likely that the plane commander, pilot, and gunners (you know, people with actual duties regarding the operation of the plane) were much more likely to do something worthy of an award.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts

Although necessary in each case, it sets an unacceptable and dangerous precedent of allowing the military to countermand the civil authority to which they are meant to be subordinate.

Yep.

Here is the enlisted and officer oath:

The Oath of Enlistment (for enlisted):

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

The Oath of Office (for officers):

"I, _____ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the _____ (Military Branch) of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God."

Interesting, that enlisted personnel are required to swear an oath to obey the orders of the president, as well as their officers, while officers are required to simply defend the constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Obama has purged many rank officers out of the military, including the esteemed General Ham, who have disagreed with him.

These will be interesting times in the future...

·
Hoc Defendam
583 Posts
Sorry for the threadjack, but LBJ's Silver Star was a joke.

LBJ was a congressman before getting a commission and joining the war effort. He was onboard the aircraft as an observer when the plane experienced a malfunction and had to abort the mission. multiple crewmembers onboard the stated that the aircraft DID NOT come under attack, but Douglas McArthur gave LBJ the Silver Star in return for LBJ's promises for political favors. No other crew member of the plane received an award. Had they really been attacked, I find it likely that the plane commander, pilot, and gunners (you know, people with actual duties regarding the operation of the plane) were much more likely to do something worthy of an award.
I don't disagree with you. He was a Democrat after all.

Obama has purged many rank officers out of the military, including the esteemed General Ham, who have disagreed with him.

These will be interesting times in the future...
You're not wrong. He got rid of many of good officers and kept the spineless cowards who will bow down and kiss his ass.

·
Listen to the ghosts
5,608 Posts
I recently read a very interesting book on President James Madison that gave a fairly detailed account of our first legally declared war-- the War of 1812. Madison during the flight from the White House actually while in a "fire fight" on the front line took the job of the Secretary of War, acted as a true Commander in Chief and made battle field decisions that saved the nation from total destruction.

His decisive action (and Mrs. Dolley Madison) with valor, honor and bravery was an act no other President ever or will ever match.
I think George Washington has him beat, actually. GW had five horses shot from under him on the disastrous Braddock campaign alone with the Virginia militia. His exploits while commander-in-chief during the revolutionary war are too long to detail here, but he spent a LOT of time personally leading troops on the battlefield. He also was the last (and therefore only) sitting President to personally command troops in the field during Shay's Rebellion.

·
Listen to the ghosts
5,608 Posts
For reference, he also had the restraint to stop once we pushed Iraq back into their borders because he figured we'd get caught up in a never ending mess and didn't want to risk the blood of our nation on that mess. His son missed that lesson, I guess.
Although that was indeed one motivation, it's pretty commonly accepted that the primary reason was because the Saudis (Sunni) wanted to leave Hussain (Sunni) to rule the Shia majority Iraqi people through the Sunni minority's hold on power to keep to the Iranian Shia expansion at bay. Worked while it lasted. It would appear that Bush (43) and Obama both missed that lesson as well.

·
The Power of the Glave
2,726 Posts

Dolley fled the White House just as the British were approaching. At the last moment, she insisted that the Stuart portrait of George Washington that hung in the Blue Room be saved. She made a soldier break the picture frame, and rolled up the canvas, which she put in her handbag. This is the same picture of Washington that now is on the $1 bill.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I think George Washington has him beat, actually. GW had five horses shot from under him on the disastrous Braddock campaign alone with the Virginia militia. His exploits while commander-in-chief during the revolutionary war are too long to detail here, but he spent a LOT of time personally leading troops on the battlefield. He also was the last (and therefore only) sitting President to personally command troops in the field during Shay's Rebellion.
He also started the French and Indian War by attacking and killing a French Ambassador carrying a peace treaty to the Indians, while Britain and France were at peace.

·
Bushidoka
2,902 Posts
You Do Realize This Can't Possibly Be True...

Referring to George Washington...
He also started the French and Indian War by attacking and killing a French Ambassador carrying a peace treaty to the Indians, while Britain and France were at peace.
Needs a credible source. What "French Ambassador" ever set foot in North America before the Revolution? Not only was the F&IW in America a small sideshow of the Thirty Years War in Europe, it is practically inconceivable that 18th century France or England would have done anything based on something that happened in the sticks of America.

Who thinks up this stuff? For those wanting to diss the patriotic narrative, it's not as if there isn't any true dirt to toss around...such as the fact that the Yanks burned Toronto before the Brits burned DC in the War of 1812.

But on the topic of the thread, I only knew about Washington riding into "battle" in the Shay's Rebellion. Thanks to Protector for reminding us that Madison also personally engaged with the Brits in the defence of DC.

(Just hope he had not also personally approved the burning of York (Toronto) the year before however, because that is how we Americans brought the burning of DC on ourselves.)

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
A president can't declare war that's the job of Congress. The president wanting to go to war means nothing if The Congress doesn't allow it.
Sorry Dude, but the president can start and run "30 day Wars". He needs Clowngresses approval for it to continue longer than 30 days.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts