Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 210 Posts

·
Got any beer money?
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice that EVERYBODY plans to head for the woods when TSHTF. This goes for people who have never been camping before, people I know in everyday life. Imagine what the woods will be like with a couple hundred million people in them.

I don't think you will find seclusion ANYWHERE in the wild. It's nice to think that you can make it on your own and survive off the land, but if TSHTF nationally, I'm afraid that strength in numbers will be the number one rule. You will be a victim of the mob or part of the mob. But you will not escape the mob. Sad but true, I think.

What do you think?

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
I notice that EVERYBODY plans to head for the woods when TSHTF. This goes for people who have never been camping before, people I know in everyday life. Imagine what the woods will be like with a couple hundred million people in them.

I don't think you will find seclusion ANYWHERE in the wild. It's nice to think that you can make it on your own and survive off the land, but if TSHTF nationally, I'm afraid that strength in numbers will be the number one rule. You will be a victim of the mob or part of the mob. But you will not escape the mob. Sad but true, I think.

What do you think?
very true. the south will really suck.
I;m glad I;m up north near michigan and this county is sparsely populated and we have a lot of woods. The northern states will do good as usual.

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
This has been a pretty hashed over subject. But to begin the rehasing, it mainly depends on the catastrophe or exactly what fecile matter hits the rotary oscillator. However, most people are making preps in order to be able to supplement their survival with woods living. I personally backpack, hunt, fish, and camp a lot, but my first instinct isn't to get to the mountains. I have a home with a ton of useful supplies. However, if some catastrophe such as a dirty bomb, dam breakage, etc happens. I will probably have to evacuate. Therefore, there may be a need to leave the house and get to the woods.

Who knows, but in the end I want to be ready for as many scenarios as possible...

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
I;m glad I;m up north near michigan and this county is sparsely populated and we have a lot of woods. The northern states will do good as usual.
Are you kidding? You are pretty nieve if you believe that the south will suck any worse than the north. Both have highly populated areas as well as very low density areas. Your ignorance is appalling. I'm not advocating that you drive down here and find out, please stay put, but you really must educate yourself before you open your mouth. It really lets everyone know how ignorant you are.

·
Registered
100 Posts
In Oregon 57% of the land is owned by the State or Federal government. Another 10-20% is owned by large timber companies. All the houses in the state, and the lots that they sit on, account for less than 1% of the land in the state.

There is a ton of land out there to live on in an emergency. Unfortunatly, there is also a serious lack of emergency survival knowledge. Most people couldn't survive more than a few days in the woods. But if we were invaded, or the book of Revelations is real and I get left behind, then that's where I'm going. I would rather die in nature than some other alternatives.:eek:

Otherwise, I am staying right where I am. The family farm is the bug out location for my extended family. They need someone here to show them how to survive.:D:

·
This site Sucks
831 Posts
I have a 100 acre farm with ponds ( well stocked ) tons of deer, squirrel, turkey, and other game. I have a big garden in the summer, flowing creek year round. Best of all I am fairly secluded. I think I will stay here if I can. My friends and fellow survivalists agree to meet up here and then decide if we should goto our cabin in the mountains.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
Are you kidding? You are pretty nieve if you believe that the south will suck any worse than the north. Both have highly populated areas as well as very low density areas. Your ignorance is appalling. I'm not advocating that you drive down here and find out, please stay put, but you really must educate yourself before you open your mouth. It really lets everyone know how ignorant you are.
right.

you tell me, how many people are gonna walk north for the winter.
We'll see who fares better, Idaho or Florida.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
i think fxjohn has a point, the south is smaller states with more large cities, its also more warm and hospitable seeming to the dumbed down tv watching masses.

states like michigan have like 2 big cities and are 4 times the size of say tennesee. the cold winters (and summers) will deter people from trying to forge out into the wild.

·
Registered
233 Posts

What do you think?
LOL! That is comical to think about. Everybody and their brother wondering around in the woods! Heck, if everyone is going to the woods, I'll just stay at home. :)

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
The north, midwest and anywhere a large population can run too that is sparesly inhabited now, short of maybe a desert or a frozen tundra will suck.

The northern states, as usual will be in chaos. and that will suck.

Reactions: BASS

·
Got any beer money?
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL! That is comical to think about. Everybody and their brother wondering around in the woods! Heck, if everyone is going to the woods, I'll just stay at home. :)
Ya, that's what I'm thinking. The small towns might not be that bad of a place to set up camp. Less people to worry about and more supplies.:D:

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
The north, midwest and anywhere a large population can run too that is sparesly inhabited now, short of maybe a desert or a frozen tundra will suck.

The northern states, as usual will be in chaos. and that will suck.
as usual. Can you expound on that?

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
i think fxjohn has a point, the south is smaller states with more large cities, its also more warm and hospitable seeming to the dumbed down tv watching masses.

states like michigan have like 2 big cities and are 4 times the size of say tennesee. the cold winters (and summers) will deter people from trying to forge out into the wild.
"dumbed down tv watching masses" - Wow! I don't even know where to begin.

Here are some facts that may interrupt your fantasy:

Population of Michigan: 10,095,000
Size of Michigan (sq. miles): 56,804
People per sq mile: 177.7

Population of TN: 6,038,000
Size of TN: 41,217
People per sq mile: 146.5

Source: http://www.census.gov/

Oh and TN has a longer growing season...

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
TN isn;t really "south" more of a border region. I call it a buffer zone :)

·
Registered
628 Posts
TN isn;t really "south" more of a border region. I call it a buffer zone :)
If you don't think Tennessee is a southern state you've obviously spent far too much time up north. That said, you wouldn't fit in very well down here. :thumb:

A border state is Maryland - one that didn't fight for the Confederacy yet lacked the courage of that conviction. Tennessee hardly fits that bill.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
"dumbed down tv watching masses" - Wow! I don't even know where to begin.

Here are some facts that may interrupt your fantasy:

Population of Michigan: 10,095,000
Size of Michigan (sq. miles): 56,804
People per sq mile: 177.7

Population of TN: 6,038,000
Size of TN: 41,217
People per sq mile: 146.5

Source: http://www.census.gov/

Oh and TN has a longer growing season...
well if your gonna get all technical............. i live in the woods, there wont be many people relocating here.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
If you don't think Tennessee is a southern state you've obviously spent far too much time up north.
that's true, I'd like to get farther north, like in the upper peninsula of michigan, talk about awesome.

1 - 20 of 210 Posts