Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We currently have just over 50 rolls for our family of 3. Hopefully that is enough but I can’t help but be reminded of the great .22 shortage that lasted for 6+ years from 2008 to 2014ish. So I wanted to get a thread going on methods and techniques for hygiene when the TP runs out.

I’m on a gravity fed septic system but I don’t want to clog it with things that don’t break down like Septic Safe TP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Start up the rotors
7,655 Posts
Why would the TP run out? Buy more...

·
MortarMaggot
3,389 Posts
Most of the stores here have been either empty or nearly empty the last week or so. We have a fairly good stock, probably enough for at least 2 months if we don't get another roll. My wifes family lives in a nearby larger city that they said still is fairly stocked so they're bringing us some this weekend when they come to visit, that should help too.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Its still being made. You just need to be there when their restocking during the week, forget about it on the weekend. If I have girls over that would last a little over a month.

·
Welcome to the rice field
1,579 Posts
I'll use the garments of my vanquished enemies.

I have travel bidets that I use thru hiking. Some are squeeze bottles, some are attachments that screw on to plastic water bottles.

People will only stack so much. It'll come around again.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just don’t think things like phone books and newspapers are going to do well in a septic. Sure we could go out and dig a hole but that would suck when I have a perfectly useable toilet. I’ve been looking into the wash rag technique but I don’t understand how to do it to ensure sterility and safety. It would suck to get bleach burn on the bung hole.

·
Start up the rotors
7,655 Posts
I’m guessing you haven’t been to a store in the past 48 hours.

Go almost every day, always need to get something it seems... :rolleyes:
I know some people have been hoarding, but I've yet to see anyplace completely out, bought some yesterday in fact.
I'm sorry if it's worse where you are. I mean, how much freaking TP can a person need? And why TP??

They're still making it, and it's still coming on trucks to restock, but that doesn't answer your question, sorry.
Wet wipes/baby wipes? They make septic safe versions. I'd say phone book pages if they'd work in your system.
If not and it gets bad enough, you could always get Roman, rag on a stick!
Just remember, wash your hands! :thumb:

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Toilet paper is still made in America. I have seen it firsthand and this confirms it:

https://www.al.com/business/2020/03/toilet-paper-manufacturer-in-alabama-says-they-wont-run-out.html

Worry not about this item. :)

I still remember how long it took for .22 to come back and that was almost all made in the USA and it was only being bought by a very small percentage of the population. The vast majority of TP is being made oversees and it is being bought by 100% of the population.

·
I have control issues
5,979 Posts
I just don’t think things like phone books and newspapers are going to do well in a septic. Sure we could go out and dig a hole but that would suck when I have a perfectly useable toilet. I’ve been looking into the wash rag technique but I don’t understand how to do it to ensure sterility and safety. It would suck to get bleach burn on the bung hole.

The "technique" is the same one used by those of us who used cloth diapers on our kids. Have your clean "wipe rags" in a basket or other container near the toilet. Also have a bucket with a solution of water and Lysol/pine sol near the toilet. Use the rag to wipe, then drop it into the bucket with the sanitizing solution. When you get close to running out of wipe rags, or the bucket gets full, launder in HOT water (or "Sanitize" cycle on your washer, if you have one) with bleach in the bleach dispenser. When the cycle is done, dry the rags. The rags will get cleaned/sanitized and be ready for re-use and you WON'T get a bleach-burned butt (unless you really overdo it.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anyone that can't get by without toilet paper doesn't belong on this website.

Who said I couldn’t get by? I can make or by a bidet. I can cut up old shirts and use paper towels. However I started this thread to find the most sterile method to do this while still using my toilet.

·
Wildlife Proctologist
2,213 Posts

Don't flush into a septic system but there are several options. You're probably sitting on dozens of shopping bags from the last few weeks. Put the shopping bags in a little trash can and throw away. Or burn in a fire pit. Or put in a brown paper bag, put on neighbors porch, light on fire, then ring bell and run.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts