Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
I wish I knew of a resource of knowledge for storing food in general (i.e. what is the shelf life of a packaged bag of rice vs a mylar stored bag)

·
1,794 Posts
I have over 100 pounds of sugar that has been stored for nearly 30 years using only quart size ziplock bags packed in plastic buckets with a large pack of dessicant in each bucket. The lids have been sealed onto the buckets using silicone caulk. The sugar hardens to the consistency of granite but, using a cheese grater, it can be easily turned back into granular form. Oh, I "vacuum" sealed each zip lock bag using a Shopvac and a straw! The storage environment was cold and damp. The last time this ancient sugar was tested was 6-9 months ago and it was perfectly OK. I don't think the dessicant is really necessary as it still was dry because of the good seal provided by the silicone caulk. I store rice and beans the same way. No problems - yet.

·
Wide awake
1,963 Posts
I wish I knew of a resource of knowledge for storing food in general (i.e. what is the shelf life of a packaged bag of rice vs a mylar stored bag)
You want the Crisis Preparedness Handbook. You won't have to ask another question on food storage. Click on the below link, then scroll down and you'll see it for sale.

http://survival360.net/The360Plan.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts