Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
eibweN
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the last few times that I have gone fishing, or back counrty camping i seem to encounter snakes. specifically cottonmouths, i have had them attack my stringer of fish, and come out of the water to harass me. any advice on what to do about these critters would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Pete

·
eibweN
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, the last time it happened it was dusk and i decided it was better to call it a night than to get bitten in the middle of nowhere (land between the lakes)
i wouldn't mind making a belt out of the next one though.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Snakes dont go anywhere to harrass anyone, you are in their territory and happen to be where they are going, if you can find an attack snake let me know and I will keep one to guard my house.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,238 Posts

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
Cotton Mouths are aggressive snakes, meaner than the copperhead and rattler. A .22 pistol loaded with ratshot (small shotgun shell) should keep them off the fish.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Aggressive perhaps and there are lots of species that are so but there is no snake on this earth that will seek out a human to attack them.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
:xeye:why yes we do:taped:

in fact we tend to kill anything that looks like it may perhaps possibly in some way shape or form harm us in any sort of way...
Mmmm... maybe a good read up on snakes and their contribution to the ecology will be a good idea.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Cotton Mouths are aggressive snakes, meaner than the copperhead and rattler. A .22 pistol loaded with ratshot (small shotgun shell) should keep them off the fish.
Ridgeoutlaw is right. I live right on a lake and have so for manyyears. Cottonmouths are very aggresive. I don't go around killing snakes since a lot of them eat rodents but I don't enjoy sharing space with a venemous snake that will dropout of a tree on you. I have had that happen in a boat. Be careful with the rat shot since you can blow a hole in your boat. A walking stick can be helpful in handling them.

·
Earthwalker.
10,287 Posts
I kinda think we as humans get in the way of nature,I was watching the news on the ice caps melting and thier was a polar bear,well 20 minutes later that bear was dead and the locals were dividing the meat,id think that the 10 or so people that divided that meat were not worth that bears life.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Ridgeoutlaw is right. I live right on a lake and have so for manyyears. Cottonmouths are very aggresive. I don't go around killing snakes since a lot of them eat rodents but I don't enjoy sharing space with a venemous snake that will dropout of a tree on you. I have had that happen in a boat. Be careful with the rat shot since you can blow a hole in your boat. A walking stick can be helpful in handling them.
Snakes dont drop out of trees onto people, you are far to big for them to eat!!! in fact snakes dont drop out of trees onto any prey except perhaps a constrictor, certainly no venemous snakes will.

·
I hear the bagpipes
279 Posts
I won’t kill anything just to kill it. I do though encounter some nasty poisonous snakes in my line of work rather frequently. I carry a 9mm handgun with me at all times for defensive purposes, and an extra magazine loaded only with snake shot. I have encountered rattlers, as well as water moccasins, which tend to be very aggressive. Since they can be territorial, I will need to kill a poisonous snake if it has set up home near or on a spot where my co-workers or I will frequent. My work takes me daily into the Everglades in Florida, to some very remote areas. It’s not unusual for me to be called to a remote spot at 2 or 3 am, where I must tramp around outdoors in the tall grass and bush until I reach the communications shelter. Even the spiders here are large enough to shoot! Note, although I have yet to encounter one, there have been frequent reports of large Python (20+ feet long) sightings in the area. They are not native to here, but have instead been released into the wild by irresponsible owners who failed to manage them. They have flourished in the South Florida environment, are reportedly aggressive, and are known to eat alligators whole.

·
Registered
22 Posts
the reason that cottonmouths seem to be attacking you is they smell the fish you are catching and are simply investigating looking for a meal.they are not just trying to attack but if you mess with them they will defend themselves.I would try not to keep the fish on a stringer or in a bucket if they are that bad.a small cooler may be better.That being said,I still kill any poisonous snake I see cause next time I may not see them until after the bite.I grew up in a small town that has a rattlesnake roundup every year and some years they get 400 or more rattlers.just the thought of that many snakes and their offspring being in the woods is almost enough to keep me out until after a frost or 2

·
one day at a time
2,478 Posts
Snakes dont drop out of trees onto people, you are far to big for them to eat!!! in fact snakes dont drop out of trees onto any prey except perhaps a constrictor, certainly no venemous snakes will.
Really go to black creek in Jacksonville FL. You will have more cootenmouths drop down on you from the trees than miskeetos biting. NOTE did not say purposley jumping out of the tree to consume. Droping on you in your boat/canoe. Its not fun. Thats what Black Creek is know for there.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
I have had it happen inthe lake where the trees were not cut down. Dont' tell me it doesn't happen.
Venemous snakes do NOT ambush people lets not be thick.
This snake I am holding is a constrictor and will ambush prey on the ground from the branch of a tree.

Attachments

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Really go to black creek in Jacksonville FL. You will have more cootenmouths drop down on you from the trees than miskeetos biting. NOTE did not say purposley jumping out of the tree to consume. Droping on you in your boat/canoe. Its not fun. Thats what Black Creek is know for there.
Snakes may accidentaly fall out of a tree although it is rare, you have to consider the probability of being under a tree when a snake looses its ballance, what are the odds people.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts