Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many people out there have pets? When SHTF and you have to bug out, how many of you plan on bringing your pets? A dog could be semi useful for protection and perhaps to even carry some food/ammo or what not.

But what about a cat? Me and my Wife have a cat, and was wondering what are some easy ways to make travel easy. We have a cat carrier, which we use for when we bring her to the vet and stuff.

But does anyone have any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
There are too many threads on "what pistol should I get" too, but pointing it out doesn't slow 'em down none. How many "how long will rice last" threads does one forum need? As long as it is an honest attempt at making a plan, I feel it can be asked. IMHO.

For some of us, pets are a very real part of our lives. My Jack Russell is my loyal companion, and, as he has performed that role to the best of his ability, when I bug out, he goes with me. He has provisions in the Bug Out Bag, means of being transported, and I will do my best to see that he is safe and cared for.
One thing I did was assess what likely calamities would cause me to pick up and spit from my home. For me, Nuclear disaster 50 miles to my east [Terrorist 10 ring, Washington, DC.] is high on the list. If that happens, I have a VERY limited time to get to the house, grab the essentials and SPLIT. I do have places to go, and provisions for Roscoe J Russell. No different than a child, I have taken the responsibility to see that he is safe and cared for. If the situation develops that I can't get out with him, it also likely I won't be going far either.

There may come a time when hard decisions may have to be made. If that day comes, I will make those decisions knowing that I have done every responsible thing I can to ensure my pets well being. I do not see enough threads covering that as a topic. Most pet topic threads degenerate into "When SHTF, I'm eatin' da cat".

·
Registered
248 Posts
If it bothers you guys that this question has been asked so much then don't answer it. This is a "discussion" board, not a just read what everyone else posted board. Thanks for reminding me why I took a 3 month break for here. :rolleyes:

As for the op's question, I would use the cat carrier. Our pets are family, they are going with us no matter what.

·
comfortably numb
357 Posts
There are too many threads on "what pistol should I get" too, but pointing it out doesn't slow 'em down none. How many "how long will rice last" threads does one forum need? As long as it is an honest attempt at making a plan, I feel it can be asked. IMHO.

For some of us, pets are a very real part of our lives...[cut/snip]
There may come a time when hard decisions may have to be made. If that day comes, I will make those decisions knowing that I have done every responsible thing I can to ensure my pets well being. I do not see enough threads covering that as a topic. Most pet topic threads degenerate into "When SHTF, I'm eatin' da cat".
Exactly. Some of us have formed strong emotional bonds with our pets, some haven't. In many ways, it's not too different than how some people feel about human children or adult family members who aren't physically (or mentally) able to care for themselves. I've read enough borderline sociopathic responses to what some folks would do with family members who weren't "on board" or who "held them up"....just sayin':(

It is a well known fact that a percentage of Katrina victims refused evacuation because there was no provisions for evacuating their pets. For some folks, their pets are a member of the family...perhaps even the only "family" they have.

How many people out there have pets? When SHTF and you have to bug out, how many of you plan on bringing your pets? A dog could be semi useful for protection and perhaps to even carry some food/ammo or what not.

But what about a cat? Me and my Wife have a cat, and was wondering what are some easy ways to make travel easy. We have a cat carrier, which we use for when we bring her to the vet and stuff.

But does anyone have any other ideas?
As a cat owner myself, I understand your dilemma. As you know, cats don't travel well. Kitty carriers are bulky and will slow you down. In an emergency situation where you are running around the house grabbing stuff, it's going to spook the cat. So, you're probably going to be dealing with a freaked out (i.e. no-cooperative cat). I'd suggest using the equipment that animal control folks use, soft-sided heavy-duty mesh sack (i.e. breathable so kitty doesn't suffocate). You can buy them here: http://www.evacsak.net/. Or, if you're cheap, just buy one of those heavy duty mesh laundry bags. Be sure to keep cat in an empty backpack just for it...sights, sounds will freak it out, also needs room to breathe and something to pad your back from the cat struggling/clawing. It'll eventually calm down...eventually. Be sure to have a leash, too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
my cat likes to be very close to me when spooked, if he could he would be under my shirt. i am planning on him being carried in a papoose like item (can carry a small child in these also) that i will strap on to my front, as my pack will be on my back. he will be very comfortable there knowing i am right there, not much room for him to move around in so he will feel safe from falling or not secure, plus will be at this time of year an added heat source. we will also go with as long as possible. a very big part of the family. he also adds comfort to us when our concerns are high. cats can and will keep your blood pressure down.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i live on a ranch and we have feral cats we feed so they will hang around. we trapped and neutered them. they kill snakes and other pests although i doubt they do the rabbit population much good either. our lab and blue heeler are useful breeds and make good watchdogs(the heeler is especially alert. i am also fond of the blackmouth curr because they are a hardy athletic intelligent and amazingly versatile breed for survival purposes. if we had the blackmouths around again i dont think the cats would last very long. thier prey/hunting instincts are very strong and i have seen them climb trees...amazing breed that was very popular when america was more rural and hunting was an everyday activity.

·
The rock and roll clown
566 Posts
"When SHTF, I'm eatin' da cat".
I hate seeing that comment from people! I know some are joking but some arent. It makes me think what kind of wackjob would seriously eat the family pet?

I keep an extra bag (40lb) of food for my dog, I will last him almost two months. I dont keep any more than that to avoid spoilage, or attract rodents.

If it comes down to it, I will go hungry before my dog.

·
I feel good.... . . .
494 Posts
I apologize, ill look around. Sorry about that.
There is no need to apologize. If someone has a question ask away. That's the great thing about forums, always people coming and going who may have things to say. Have you not started this thread I would not have read these insightful posts.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I don't think I have ever chimed in on a "pet" thread, but what I would do is on my mind quite a bit.

At my house, my wife has a wiener dog (inside), my youngest son has a Lab (inside/outside), and I have two Labs (both outside). Basically, all our dogs would be easy to travel with in a vehicle, but one of my Labs is a geriatric and would have some major issues if we were to have to leave on foot. Unfortunately, she has been a real member of our family for 14 years, and I absolutely wouldn't leave her behind.

I also have a few cows and a horse, and if I were forced to bug out (which I am planning to bug in), I would more than likely pull my stock trailer and take the horse and probably a cow or two (a few are retired show animals and are halter broke).

I keep about 50 pounds of dog food on hand at all times, and depending on the season, the cattle and horse could be grazed on lead ropes in a road ditch in a pinch. If I do bug out, I am going to my parent's place in NW Oklahoma, and once we get there, we will have PLENTY of grazing for the cattle and horse.

·
SB's Token Commie
1,327 Posts
We have a cat. She's so spoiled she would have serious issues adapting to life in the wild, so she'd go with us. She's like a 4 legged kid, anyway. She's also a good alarm clock. 5:30 every morning, she wakes me up. She wants her breakfast, and I have to get up then anyway. She's never late, and doesn't have a snooze button. :p

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
Well, my cats don't have to worry. But I went to high school with a Vietnam war refugee about 25 years ago. We became good friends. He said that it's normal for villages to have dogs, etc. hanging around -- and to occasionally eat them if times were lean. In fact, I see there's a Wikipedia article on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_meat.

But the plan for my cats:

* Cat carriers.
* We stock extra litter & large bags of food for them (their own "preps").

Luckily, cats are fairly easy to care for.

I hate seeing that comment from people! I know some are joking but some arent. It makes me think what kind of wackjob would seriously eat the family pet?

I keep an extra bag (40lb) of food for my dog, I will last him almost two months. I dont keep any more than that to avoid spoilage, or attract rodents.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
All i gotta say is that LOVE my dog, and have made provisions to take him along, and to provide for him, but if it come down to it, and my wife and kids are starving.... into the pot he will go. Ana animal no matter how good, or how loved is still an animal, and the people I love will always be held higher, and taken care of FIRST.

Sorry to all the animal lovers out there, just MY humble opinion

·
Registered
8 Posts

I've never really thought about this before, but can a human also safely eat dog food? I couldn't imagine that it would taste very good, but it is loaded with protein. 40lbs of dog food can go a long way when SHTF.

·
The rock and roll clown
566 Posts
I've never really thought about this before, but can a human also safely eat dog food? I couldn't imagine that it would taste very good, but it is loaded with protein. 40lbs of dog food can go a long way when SHTF.
Im not sure. I have heard stories about children being left on their own that ate dog-cat food. Didnt hear if they got sick from it though.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts