Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When SHTF, those of us in the urban areas will be forced to consider leaving or staying. Reguardless of which you choose, you'll want to protect yourselves from the bad guys you're prone to run into. If you're going to BO, traveling alone (you wife and kids) sounds like the least safe method. If you do run into some bad guys, chances are "they" won't be alone. These guys usually run in small packs. If it's just you, and the wife and kids, you're at a bit of a disadvantage. Most likely these guys will try a suprise attack, or a trap of some type. If however you organize into smaller groups of 5-8 adults, you stand a much better chance. The visual deterrent of 5-8 armed adults in a 2-3 car caravan is pretty significant.
Even if you choose to stay, you'll be better off working with a small group of family or close friends. Predators seek out the weakest of the heard.

With that being said... Have any of you organized "ahead of time" with your close friends or neighbors to ban together and operate as a team?

·
Registered
145 Posts
"Even if you choose to stay, you'll be better off working with a small group of family or close friends. Predators seek out the weakest of the heard."

AGREED! Currently I am developing better relations with the neighbors of my "suburbia".
I'm not of the "sky is falling" crowd but healthy relations within our community will make the difference if it gets that bad.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
I agree also. Our plan would include family members and that is 8 - 10 adults. Right now - 0 children. Definately 3 (1 car/2 trucks) maybe up to 5 vehicles (1 car/4 trucks). The area that is giving me most aggravation is shtf and everything is crazy and we can not get to one another. I'm talking about 4 different families in 3 locations with 1 having to come a distance of approx. 60 miles. The rest of us are within 15 miles of each other. That's for bugging out. For bugging in, even though I live in a high population area (about 1 million in general area), my street is a quiet side street with large lots. I believe unless there's a really huge shtf, we can sustain here. There are 2 wells for water (I'm installing a hand pump in case of no electric to run the pump), a large garden plot for growing food and enough space left over to build makeshift cabins or throw up the tents. I'm a little concerned about securing the property since "the bad guys" can hide behind storage sheds and those cabins we'd have to build. But, I can not afford to put a high fence around the entire area right now. I believe but haven't figured out how to speak to my neighbors, concerning plans should a shtf situation arise, how we would pull together and help one another. I will say in the past when situations came up, ie. death in family, new baby, broken leg and needed help cutting grass or getting in garden crops - my neighbors on this end of the road have pretty much all pitched in. For instance we loan tools, watch one anothers house, look to make sure the little ones get off the school bus, one neighbor lets me use his freezer since he doesn't garden much anymore, help one another make roof repairs - so I don't think it will be a problem with us pulling together in a bigger emergency. Still, I need to find a way to talk to them about it without sounding like a "sky is falling" person. As far as space. Let me see.... just this end of the road there's about 6 families and about 15 acres. If it is the entire road, I'd think about 18 families and about 75 acres. There are 3 ponds on my road and another one, one street over and I know there are fish in 3 of the ponds. Blocking off one end of the street would be not so hard but the other end would pose a problem since it empties onto a major road but it is do-able. I feel more sure of the people on my end of the road since we've lived here 25+ years off and on but my feeling is most on this road would agree and offer help and protection.

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
People will tend to gravitate to those that they can depend on and feel safe around. In other words, people will automatically feel comfortable with and opt to be with somebody that they think will protect them and knows how to survive. I have 3 sisters and a mom, without a doubt, if SHTF they will all come to me looking for help and protection. My experiences are such that they automatically, more or less, understand that I can help them survive. Having spent many months in Viet Nam, been a Green Beret, combat veteran paratrooper, sniper and so on my family members will join with me to move out or bug in as needed along with their sons, daughters and husbands. So, I'll end up almost by default with a small group of about a dozen males and almost an equal number of females in my survival group. Sometimes fate will place you in the role that it has ready for you to assume whether you want to do it or not.

·
Feed Yourself
73 Posts
A most important consideration to say the least. Whether in the city of 1 million, or in the relatively isolated country / wild, the group has the advantage over the individual. Another point to consider - you will not be able to keep a consistent watch with your family alone. No use in pretending that you will be scoping out baddies 24/7 all on your lonesome. Get into groups - oh, and start growing and feeding yourself now!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I live in the suburbs of Miami. This is a city that has gone through multiple hurricanes and several riots. From those experiences I've learned that those that will be causing trouble stay in their neighborhoods. Not just because of familiarity but also for their own safety.

I have two groups formed depending on my location and the cause of the trouble. My main group consists mostly of folks I've met through my Church. This group is very diverse, I have two nurses, an elementary teacher, a veterinarian, an auto mechanic, a Brownie Leader/accountant, two security officers, a special ed teacher, a clerk, a lawyer, a construction worker/helicopter pilot, my Wife and myself. My other group consists of my officers at work and their families. This group is very heavy on weaponry but not as diverse.

BO is a last resort and if need be would be done in convoy with scouts and good communication. It's a shame one even has to contemplate that option but it is necessary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts