Survivalist Forum banner

When packing fishing gear for SHTF what do you have?

4K views 37 replies 29 participants last post by  hua man 
#1 ·
When packing fishing gear for SHTF what do you have?

Again space and weight comes into play here. Sure it would be nice to be able to have your boat and 4 or 5 tackleboxes loaded with everything you have, but if SHTF comes, all of this is out the window.

I have a few basic things that I carry in the bob’s at all time.
1. Tyger Leader - 200 feet of Tie-able stainless steel wire.
2. Sufix 25lb test, 3000 yards
3. Mustad Circle hooks (2/0 thru 10/0 sizes)
4. Mustad ball bearing swivels all sizes
5. A few Rapala lures and Rooster tails & spoons
6. Bobbers & sinkers

The Tyger Leader can also work for repair of items that need a STRONG repair & with the TL and Sufix line, you have strong trip wire for warning if needed.

Again this is just a basic list that I put together fast, I am always looking for more items but again the space & weight are always being worked on and finding items that have more than one purpose is the way to go to help solve this issue…

See less See more
#12 · (Edited)
Well when packing for SHTF, I hope to take as much with me as I can. That includes poles and reels! But if we are just talking a bug-out-bag this is my kit:

150 yards of 15lb power pro
#14 treble hooks
small variety of size 10-14 hooks
some sinkers

I put the hooks and sinkers into the circle-case and I stick that into the spool of line.

View attachment 53883

View attachment 53884

View attachment 53885
Brilliant idea, thanks for posting the photos.

I'll have to make up a few of these kits.

Thanks

#11 ·
I have 5 rolls of 15lb test spyder wire. That stuff lasts forever! I also have hundreds of hooks from small for bluegill up to big for Bass and Catfish.
Remember big hooks catch big fish. I am not even sure the size designator for my huge catfish hooks but it is larger than me making a hook with my finger!

I use small rope for cats on a trot line so the spyder wire is for trout and bass and such.

#13 · (Edited)
wow . you all are high test when it comes to fishing gear! I grew up on a huge lake and was taught "what to do when you don't have bait" if and when world ends. My pops taught me to put a half bent coors lite cap on a strand of dental floss when I was 12 ...I came back with a turtle( 7 meats in one ... ....I have caught fish in my local lake with a hair tie off my head! LOL Just sayn....it's all in the way your taught to use them .

#14 ·
11 year old thread and the OP was last seen on Oct 25. 2018. But since it was ressurected let's run with it. I have a ton of fishing gear, grew up in a fishing charter family and ran my own for a few years. Still have a ton of gear leftover from whem I had a boat in San Diego.

But since this is more survival, bug out scenario I'll go with the fact that I have a bit of gear in one of my bags and have a telescoping pole that fits in a small tackle box with gear and extra line that I travel with when I'm back in northern wisconsin.

But my pinnacle of easy tote fishing kit was buying a Ronco Pocket fisherman a few years back with some extra hooks and sinkers that is also in one one of my bags. People in their 50's will understand, lol. It actual works for panfish off a dock pretty good. I also bought one for a friend who has used it for ice fishing.

#18 · (Edited)
Man I miss fishing...
Too much gear sitting in the basement...
I hate to admit it...but I never gave much thought to have some with me in a bug out...
Sheesh...need to think this through.

....well obviously my trout net (small, compact, multi-use), then likely my portable Penn 3 pc pole and a Shimano spinning reel with Powerpro, and a few lures (Rapalas, spiners, spoons, and some plastics). Have caught some nice pike on a small silver/white daredevil.

#19 ·
Gill net, and trout line! I need to consider a hoop net! What I really want/need……that pond that I’ve talked about for 15 years! memtb

#22 ·
Here is a thread showing fishing tackle and lures that work.

#24 ·
Forgot I had this...
Received as a Christmas gift a ways back!
(although a telescoping rod is probably better, lol)

The Ronco Pocket Fisherman

#33 ·
Most of the streams/rivers/lakes around my area are pretty shallow, so I keep a couple of slingbow bands, fishing darts and 100' of 100lb. kevlar line in my BOBs. With my SAK it take me about 15 minutes to cut and trim a slingshot frame from a branch and attach the bands. For overnight harvesting I store a pre-made trot line.

#35 ·
For bugging out on foot, the minimum fishing tackle I'd carry would be 10lb mono, bankline, some weights and bobbers, Tru-Turn and circle hooks, and some Roostertails. I can actively or passively fish with that. If I can dedicate more space/weight, I'd take a gillnet and/or some minnow traps. Those Emmrod rods look nice, I'd like to try one out and see if worth bugging out with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.