Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
HANDY MAN
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife's "hobby" is coupon shopping. My "hobby" is prepping for some un-known emergency.:cool:

This is how WE keep our costs down and at the same time get more prepared.

Here are some of the more recent shopping trips and some of the stuff we scored.

Heres one from a couple weeks ago. This is when my wife did really well for the first time. Dont have a list of what was in this trip.:xeye:

Grand total payed was a whopping $2.74 for all this in the picture!:D:

This receipt is from this morning! I almost fainted...I only had $18 bucks in my pocket and we are BROKE! I used $11 for all this...:eek:

(3) oscar mayer bacon
(3) oscar mayer deli meats
(6) jars of ragu sauce
(10) 1lb boxes of mueller pasta
(2) betty crocker muffin mix
(4) progresso soups
(2) boxes of cheez-its
(6) boxes green giant frozen veggies
(2) pepperidge farm bread
(4) stouffers frozen meals
(1) kraft cooking cream ch
(1) 12pk cottonelle double roll tp
(1) 8pk viva papertowels
(3) 24pk energizer max batteries
(2) all laundry detergent
(3) airwick freshamatic refills
(8) dove shampoos
(4) mens dove deodorant
(10) boxes of Aleve
(2) tubes of colgate tooth paste
(4) boxes of crest whiting strips
(6) boxes of kotex u
(5) kid cuisines
(5) bags of quaker rice cakes

I realize all that isnt "prep" stuff. So I took a picture of some of what we got today and last week. Besides what you see in this picture there is 20lbs of pasta and well over 100 rolls of TP....pretty much free. :thumb:

Anyone else coupon shop? I did a search but couldnt find anything...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am into couponing also but it is a lot of work! I usually shop Publix, Krogers, Walgreens and CVS My goal is to always save at least 65% with the coupons. More people are trying to save money with coupons now so it is harder to find some sale items.

·
planner and prepper
403 Posts
I am into couponing also but it is a lot of work! I usually shop Publix, Krogers, Walgreens and CVS My goal is to always save at least 65% with the coupons. More people are trying to save money with coupons now so it is harder to find some sale items.
Yeah it stinks, I will say with CVS if you know how to play their "store cash" thing right, you can save big $ with them. They regulate it more now though, as do most places. We have also learned that depending on location of the grocery store in town the prices are different (same stores).

·
Super Moderator. I'm helping!
8,741 Posts
Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!! Nice haul ... I can't imagine how someone DOESN'T coupon in this day and age.

And if you use it, it is ALL "prep stuff" :D:

I am all about the couponing ... the hubby used to make fun of me. Then I drug him to CVS and bought 200 bucks worth of stuff ... I paid a whopping 9 bucks for it all ...

Now he brings me the coupons from all the papers at work ... lol

I am able to donate quite a bit of stuff to the local food bank too. Even if I didn't need to watch what we spend I would still coupon for that reason alone.

·
HANDY MAN
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow...well done! I wish we could get this kind of coupons up here in Canuckland.
Yeah, Im glad my wife finally learned about this!

Yeah, my wife puts in a few hours on the weekends and Mondays are her shopping day. Thos few hours for her though is her "alone" time so she loves it! Publix is the only one she does.

Yeah it stinks, I will say with CVS if you know how to play their "store cash" thing right, you can save big $ with them. They regulate it more now though, as do most places. We have also learned that depending on location of the grocery store in town the prices are different (same stores).
I wish my wife got into the CVS store cash. Lots of good deals to be had there.

Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!! Nice haul ... I can't imagine how someone DOESN'T coupon in this day and age.

And if you use it, it is ALL "prep stuff" :D:

I am all about the couponing ... the hubby used to make fun of me. Then I drug him to CVS and bought 200 bucks worth of stuff ... I paid a whopping 9 bucks for it all ...

Now he brings me the coupons from all the papers at work ... lol

I am able to donate quite a bit of stuff to the local food bank too. Even if I didn't need to watch what we spend I would still coupon for that reason alone.
Your right! It is all prep. My job is to drive around and get all the fliers for all the stores...im the "gopher":rolleyes:

·
planner and prepper
403 Posts
The grocery stores here all have online ads, so I don't have to go get them or even buy a paper except to get the coupons when they are out. Many places now too have coupons on their websites, or you can "join them" on facebook to get others. I have gotten coupons like that from Powerade, Gillette shaving products, Degree Deodorant, and Colgate toothpaste.

The hardest thing for me has been (but is getting better) to get my wife to be okay with not buying "Bounty Brand" papertowels, or Del Monte vegetables etc. She has gotten better with some things getting store brand or other brands, but still refuses with others, pick your battles I guess.

·
8,741 Posts
Awesome! That's a skill I'm still desperately struggling to learn.
It's not hard ... I kinda fell into it by accident ... GC let me quit working and I was feeling like scrubbing the toilet every day instead of every week wasn't saving us that much money! :D:

I have $100 a week to work with. That way I can always be ready. Also there are several websites out there to help you along.

Here's how I did it:

1. Started collecting coupons from the Sunday paper.
2. E-mailed all the product manufacturers of stuff I actually use and signed up for coupons.
3. Chitty-chatted with neighbors (and the hubby) and they all get me coupons.
4. There are several on-line sites that are well worth your trouble.

When I am sober :eek: tomorrow I will attach links. :D:

OMG ... I can't believe it ... after all this time and all the things I have learned from you here I can finally return the favor ... lol :D:

There was a show on Discover, I think, not too long ago arout Extreme Couponing ... Very, very intersting ... those folks had stashes that would make the rest of us green ... One guy bought a 1000 boxes of Total cereal and got it all for FREE ... donated it to his local food bank. How cool is that??

ETA: As promised ... now that my eyes are a little clearer ... lol ... some links:

Hot Coupon World

How to Shop for Free

And this is a chat that lists a bunch more:

http://www.flaglerchat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38322

Have Fun!!

·
8,741 Posts
Yeah, Im glad my wife finally learned about this!

Yeah, my wife puts in a few hours on the weekends and Mondays are her shopping day. Thos few hours for her though is her "alone" time so she loves it! Publix is the only one she does.

I wish my wife got into the CVS store cash. Lots of good deals to be had there.

Your right! It is all prep. My job is to drive around and get all the fliers for all the stores...im the "gopher":rolleyes:
that's funny ... I would KILL for a Publix in my area ... lol

I have a routine. Every Tuesday I run a route and collect flyers. On Fridays I "work" my coupons.

At first whatever I saved I threw in the savings account. Then I realized just how much money I was saving ... didn't take long for me to decide to add that to my prepping budget. (We already put X amount of dollars in savings every month.) :thumb:

·
8,741 Posts
I started couponing a little but it seemed like so much work and so overwhelming...I need to bite the bullet and get back into it.
There truly is a system to it. I am not a professional by any stretch of the imangination but I have save a TON of money doing it.

The trick is to not get sucked into buying stuff that you don't use or can't donate to someone who can use it.

·
HANDY MAN
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I started couponing a little but it seemed like so much work and so overwhelming...I need to bite the bullet and get back into it.

Yeah, like Bunny said, there is a system.

At first, my wife wasn't that into it...then she started saving minimum 50% and it blew up from there. The more she does it, the better she gets at it, so the easier it gets.

Now the easier it gets, the more we save!!:D::thumb::cool:

·
Registered
43 Posts
That was really inspiring to see - I'm working on putting my coupon binder together now. I imagine it will be a while before I get results like the op has shown, but it's nice to see the possibilities :)

·
HANDY MAN
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That was really inspiring to see - I'm working on putting my coupon binder together now. I imagine it will be a while before I get results like the op has shown, but it's nice to see the possibilities :)
My wife has been doing this for only about 6 months. It doesnt take long.

This week she thinks @ 20 boxes of Advil~ I hope!:thumb:

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,538 Posts
It's not hard ... I kinda fell into it by accident ... GC let me quit working and I was feeling like scrubbing the toilet every day instead of every week wasn't saving us that much money! :D:

I have $100 a week to work with. That way I can always be ready. Also there are several websites out there to help you along.

Here's how I did it:

1. Started collecting coupons from the Sunday paper.
2. E-mailed all the product manufacturers of stuff I actually use and signed up for coupons.
3. Chitty-chatted with neighbors (and the hubby) and they all get me coupons.
4. There are several on-line sites that are well worth your trouble.

When I am sober :eek: tomorrow I will attach links. :D:

OMG ... I can't believe it ... after all this time and all the things I have learned from you here I can finally return the favor ... lol :D:

There was a show on Discover, I think, not too long ago arout Extreme Couponing ... Very, very intersting ... those folks had stashes that would make the rest of us green ... One guy bought a 1000 boxes of Total cereal and got it all for FREE ... donated it to his local food bank. How cool is that??

ETA: As promised ... now that my eyes are a little clearer ... lol ... some links:

Hot Coupon World

How to Shop for Free

And this is a chat that lists a bunch more:

http://www.flaglerchat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38322

Have Fun!!
I have a lot to learn! I appreciate anything you can teach me about it. I've found a few coupon sites online, but I still don't quite understand the process apparently. Last time I tried, I think I saved about $5 on a $100 load! LOL

·
8,741 Posts
I have a lot to learn! I appreciate anything you can teach me about it. I've found a few coupon sites online, but I still don't quite understand the process apparently. Last time I tried, I think I saved about $5 on a $100 load! LOL
:D: BTDT !!!!! Let's start with an easy one ... do you guys have CVS or Walgreens Pharmacies down there?? I have better luck at CVS but Walgreens will do in a pinch! ;)

Go sign up for CVS SuperSaver card (or whatever they call it) ... then check out their flyer on line ... They generally run specials on their consumables and give you extra bucks (at the check out) to use the next time you come in.

I started out only buying things that I had a coupon for AND I could get extra bucks for. Within a couple of months I was hitting them twice a month and walking out with a couple hundred dollars or so of stuff and only dropping 20 or 30 dollars.

That was back when we were first getting started prepping and I stocked my first aid and OTC med kit to the gills ... I figure 90% of it was free because I would wait until the sale, buy their store brand stuff and use the extra bucks from the soda and crackers and makeup I bought on sale (with the added coupons) ... :D:

Also watch at the dollar stores. You can get $5 off a $25 dollar purchase and then buy things that are deeply discounted. I just bought 5 96-load bottles of laundry soap ($4 each) and 2 big bottles of dishwasher soap ($3 ea after coupon) for $20 because I had the $5. off coupon, had coupons from the Sunday paper for the dishwasher soap and the laundry soap was clearance priced. On top of that my receipt had a $5 off your next $25 purchase printed on it. :eek:

A lot of places are starting to put limits on what you can buy but that still doesn't mean you can find the deals ... You can do this!! :thumb:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts