·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the only prepper in my family.

This morning I opened a big chocolate bar and, inside, it was double wrapped
in aluminun foil. I mentioned this to my DH and he laughed and said "Well,
at least,you know it's REALLY protected against EMP!"

I laughed but these quips come zinging in anytime I do anything to prepare.
Not complaining, mind you, but does anyone else have family members who
never let them live it down that they are wisely preparing for whatever happens, great or small?? Just wondering.

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,806 Posts
I never talk about EMP, most of survivalism and such with friends or family, mainly just on the internet. Which I get harassed enough on the net. Also a lot of good comments though but just on the net.

In Real non-internet life my family and most friends think I just camp and work in the mountains from June to Nov. when I live on my mtn land/retreat=BOL A few have suspicions that I am a survivalist :eek: but never dare mention it, to my face anyway.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Young Heatherli,

If you have ever known people or the lifestyle of the (willingly) poor, the ghetto mindset as it were, you've seen how people who save their money, read books to elevate their minds out of the stew of misery, seek to make responsible decisions in order to one day end the generational inheritance of misery.

We live in a "realism" ghetto today. Just as ghetto-ites will mock their fellow travellers who understand the game plan of how to get out of the lifestyle, survivalists are mocked for realizing that, no, a government cannot spend itself into an unescapable deficit and/or ignore constitutional foundation and have a working society. And individuals can't live with the "devil-may-care" attitude that most Americans do and survive the coming economic collapse. We understand this and prepare as best we understand. What an uncomfortable reminder to the rest of society!

There is a class of victi-crats in our country. It is almosty seen as more honorable or ethical to be caught unawares and steamrolled by reality than to pay attention, read the 'weather' and plan appropriately. If you are a victim, who can be cruel enough to blame you? However, if you hold yourself to rationalism, to objectivism, you loudly claim by your actions that life is not a malevolent pattern of unforseeable events, brought on by a near mystical and therefore unpredictable force called "bad luck"! You claim that anyone can, through concerted effort, take control of your fate. You claim that it is the responsibilty, then, of every individual to be responsible. And that, Heatherli, is mean.

To be us, you show that you are not beholden to the current system. You postulate that the system is a sinking ship and you intend to stay afloat independently.

What a scary thought to most people.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I don't have that issue much. 1) I stopped inviting people who make jokes to my home and don't hang out with people who aren't like minded any more.
2) I'm the "mama"...I told them straight up, if you want to make it a joke, get the hell out, NOW. I'm serious about saving your skinny little behind; make it a joke and you can leave. Then I gave them 10 minutes to ask questions or pack up. End of the conversation.
:thumb:
ps- I'm prepping quite happily these days with the entire formerly joking family along side of me.:D:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Well more at least for me is no one in the family has even tried to fight me on us this they can see it's the right thing to do. The problem is they lack the will to truly support it to the extent needed. They'll help me with some things but they aren't quite willing to go all the way. I have to say atm a lot of it denial and just to busy trying to find themselves jobs. So actually to be fair they're already in their own shtf situation.

All I can do is keeping doing what I'm doing and hope those jobs come through for them soon.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Had a little "talk" with DH and told him he can either quit carping about my prepping
or, from now on, he won't get any of my orange chocolate bars (fate worse than death
for him :)) AND I'll whisper every word I say to him. He's hard of hearing in one ear. (evil grin)

·
I travel light
2,037 Posts
Enjoy the jokes, buddy. A family who´s not able to laugh from each other, is not an united one. Hopefully, they will slowly open their eyes, as my own people has made already...despite cultural differences, sheeple are sheeple world wide around, but here things got hard and many people just realized than prepping is wise...and it´s a growing/spreading trend, specially after chile EQ.

·
Registered
906 Posts
My daughter in law was in awe of our filled pantry. She didn't see what I have in storage or the two FLC vests equipped with disaster first aid supplies nor the FLC foe defense. My grown kids don't prep but I know where they will come if SHTF.

I'm sure the preppers were not ridiculed in the northeast as hundreds of thousands have been without power for days. Some people were probably looking through a junk drawer trying to find batteries or one candle. Preppers probably had at least sufficient candle light, plenty of food, adequate water with far less discomfort than others.
I'm assuming it would be difficult for the unprepared to buy from grocers or gas stations if there was no power in many areas.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
They ignor the world, it's just what i,ve got to do today and it's been gona end for ever and it's still here. I,am full of it and so on. To tell ya the fact if not for my grandchild. I woulda already been long gone from here anyway. They all walk around with their heads up their arses. I would be on the mountain or rather in it. I will stick it out here because she's the future. I dread the world she will see, most likely we will see soon enough. I will keep doing what i can as i go along here and there. Maybe what i do will make a diffrence for some of them. But the mindset's not there and i think being mentally preppared is one of the most important thing's we need. One day all the goodies are gone real quick. A lot of folk will loose it. It's me they will have to depend on, don't know if i'll be ready with no help, just what i can do till then. I,ll be here anyway, till my number's called. :upsidedown:

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
My wife is on board and that changed EVERYTHING. She just finished reading One Second After. I dont talk to anyone else in the family about prepping but I made sure my elderly grandmother has plenty in the cupboard even though she's by herself. You can prep them without calling it that. Call it being ready in case we get snowed in or something. I wouldnt waste jargon and whatnot on some folks. Add a little more quietly to your own preps because you know they wont make it unless you are there to help them.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.