Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
9,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's when you think you need 10,000 rounds of ammunition or a secret reinforced shelter.

But perhaps my priorities are different.

I see survival as a tool. I can't see myself making it my life. Sometimes I wonder if these people want disaster to strike or for a US invasion. Then the potential self gratification is like a drug. The idea of being ready for anything is very attractive and unachievable.

But I concede, survival is a pretty fun hobby. I can see how someone could take it to the 3rd degree and have it justified in their own mind.

I'm not passing judgement, I just want to know in your own opinion. When does it become too much? Where is your line?

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,345 Posts
I'm not passing judgement, I just want to know in your own opinion. When does it become too much? Where is your line?
Where is my line? When does it become to much?

Well how far would you go to protect your family? When would you say "sorry kids, your not worth the effort"?

I haven't found a line yet, I haven't even considered looking for a line.

·
Banned
9,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where is my line? When does it become to much?

Well how far would you go to protect your family? When would you say "sorry kids, your not worth the effort"?

I haven't found a line yet, I haven't even considered looking for a line.
That was the obvious reply.

What are you doing to protect your family for an meteor impact?

·
Super Moderator
23,345 Posts
That was the obvious reply.

What are you doing to protect your family for an meteor impact?
Stocking up on foods, hoping the meteor is small and hit's the other side of the planet.

·
Banned
9,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stocking up on foods, hoping the meteor is small and hit's the other side of the planet.
So nothing then?

I can list a million things you're not prepared for.

Would you object to owning 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 rounds of amunition?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
The way I see it, survival or survivalism is life in and of itself. In order to live you first have to survive. Having an income and putting a roof over your head, clothing yourself and feeding your kids is the very basics of "survivalism." Once you have meet your basic needs (for those of you familiar with Maslows Heirarchy of Needs) you can move on to the "next level."

If there is a theoritical "line" to cross, I would say that it would be crossed if you are denying your family the things they need "right now" in order to buy those precious metals, or 1000rds of surplus ammo. If your electric bill goes unpaid to buy that generator, then I would consider it over the line.

I myself do not have a set budget for survival equipment or preps. I try to make my purchases and survival education practical--something I could use regularly if needed. I use guerrilla tactics when purchasing food. I do not buy a years worth at one time, but just an extra amount of durable/long shelf life goods whenever I go to the grocery store. For example, instead of two cans of tuna and beans, I will buy four. Same with ammo or batteries Just pick up an extra box or two.

I would not go out and spend a half a million dollar to have a bunker built underground, but If the opportunity presented itself, I would buy one of those remodeled missle silos that I hear are being sold...

·
Super Moderator
23,345 Posts
So nothing then?

I can list a million things you're not prepared for.

Would you object to owning 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 rounds of amunition?
If you want to know what I am doing feel free to search the forum for my post and read them.

Anyone could list a million things you, or I, am not prepared for, if I were prepared for everything I wouldn't need to be here reading this forum would I?

I have gone and read most of your post, and from what I have seen you are rude, self centered, have a I'm better than you attitude and seem to be here just to annoy people. Your original question appears to be just a way for you to argue with people and berate them.

Welcome to my ignore list.:D:

·
Banned
9,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The way I see it, survival or survivalism is life in and of itself. In order to live you first have to survive. Having an income and putting a roof over your head, clothing yourself and feeding your kids is the very basics of "survivalism." Once you have meet your basic needs (for those of you familiar with Maslows Heirarchy of Needs) you can move on to the "next level."

If there is a theoritical "line" to cross, I would say that it would be crossed if you are denying your family the things they need "right now" in order to buy those precious metals, or 1000rds of surplus ammo. If your electric bill goes unpaid to buy that generator, then I would consider it over the line.

I myself do not have a set budget for survival equipment or preps. I try to make my purchases and survival education practical--something I could use regularly if needed. I use guerrilla tactics when purchasing food. I do not buy a years worth at one time, but just an extra amount of durable/long shelf life goods whenever I go to the grocery store. For example, instead of two cans of tuna and beans, I will buy four. Same with ammo or batteries Just pick up an extra box or two.

I would not go out and spend a half a million dollar to have a bunker built underground, but If the opportunity presented itself, I would buy one of those remodeled missle silos that I hear are being sold...
Those silos are suprisingly cheap and unfinished.

I may sound like an antigun advocate. But actually I'm shopping for one right now. I just don't agree with being ready for fullscale war or a bombing. If someone drops a bomb on me I will gladly die.

I can just see how this subject can consume someone and take the living out of life.

but thats my opinion.

·
Banned
9,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you want to know what I am doing feel free to search the forum for my post and read them.

Anyone could list a million things you, or I, am not prepared for, if I were prepared for everything I wouldn't need to be here reading this forum would I?

I have gone and read most of your post, and from what I have seen you are rude, self centered, have a I'm better than you attitude and seem to be here just to annoy people. Your original question appears to be just a way for you to argue with people and berate them.

Welcome to my ignore list.:D:
If you read my OP I said "I can see how someone can justify it in their own mind". I never said there was anything wrong with being super prepared for everything. Thats fine.

the point was to see where everyone draws that line.

I haven't been rude to anyone nor have I singled anyone out to belittle them.

You are being really deffensive.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Those silos are suprisingly cheap and unfinished.

I may sound like an antigun advocate. But actually I'm shopping for one right now. I just don't agree with being ready for fullscale war or a bombing. If someone drops a bomb on me I will gladly die.

I can just see how this subject can consume someone and take the living out of life.

but thats my opinion.
Essentially, you're answering your own question.

"If someone drops a bomb on me I will gladly die."

Survivalism is the opposite of a defeatist ("I'm going to die anyway.") attitude. There isn't a "too far" line to cross.

Being a survivalist isn't about tangible things. It adds up to little more than animal instinct. Stay alive, and do whatever it takes to that end.

Some are simply better strategists and tacticians than others.

·
Banned
9,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Essentially, you're answering your own question.

"If someone drops a bomb on me I will gladly die."

Survivalism is the opposite of a defeatist ("I'm going to die anyway.") attitude. There isn't a "too far" line to cross.

Being a survivalist isn't about tangible things. It adds up to little more than animal instinct. Stay alive, and do whatever it takes to that end.

Some are simply better strategists and tacticians than others.
Well, if someone drops a bomb on you, you will most likley die too.

This is what I'm getting too:

Moving your place of work into your shelter.
Getting bullet proof vests made for your children.
and for somepeople just having a BOB in general is too far.

Perhaps just asking the question a site such as this I will tend to get that same reply "There is no line". that seems to be the trend.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
IMHO there is a line but, that line has nothing to do with goods, gear, food, bullets, etc. The line is a mental one.
I know people who only have survivalism as a hobby. {or whatever you want to call it} They read every news story, worry about every bank, and read every single peice of legislation to government is working on, bla, bla, bla.
They spend their whole lives dwelling on the negative and pondering the consequences of every event world wide.
That is not healthy. That will turn you into Dale Gribble.
If you want 10 billion rounds of ammo, great. A bomb shelter large enough to house LA county, awsome for you. Just don't forget that there are great things in the world.
The odds are we will live to see tomorrow, don't throw away today standing watch for the zombies.

·
ÐìrtýÐëëdsÐøñëÐìrtÇhëâþ
387 Posts
How much Preparation was Lacking on Ruby Ridge ? What could that family have done to be better prepared for the assault on them over 1/4" of pipe ?

What about the people in Katrina, aside from Leaving, what could they have done better ?

Waco, what preparations could have kept all them women and children from getting Slaughtered and roasted alive ?

There is NO line... there are just increasing levels of preps, where to start and where to slow down are a individual choice based on location, funds, perceived threats, the number of people and what they started out with. NO amount of preps is unreasonable !

Natural Disaster
Economic collapse
Mass Riots / Looting bringing social collapse
War with another country(s)
Biological / disease / Pandemic
Oppression from Tyrannical gov
And Literally Thousands of other things can cause you to Need your preps.

The Most Prepared will have the best chance of living, the Least prepared the best chance of dying.. All the preps in the world are Useless if you can't Defend them... If I had to choose between a house with a months supply of food.... or a AK-47... Make mine a Yugo.

More people are seeing the light, Some still have glasses on. As a whole the people on this site Rock, and will be among the Survivors if an when the need arrives.

·
I am whatever I say I am
1,308 Posts
I see survival as a tool. I can't see myself making it my life. Sometimes I wonder if these people want disaster to strike or for a US invasion. Then the potential self gratification is like a drug. The idea of being ready for anything is very attractive and unachievable.
Yes, some survivalists, including some members of this board, really want something nasty to happen. I don't know what drives these people, I don't know what's wrong with them. They may be jealous of other people's good lives, or want to prove themselves right, or maybe they are simply bored. Probably sitting in their BOLs surrounded with cases or MREs and ammo, with an AK-47 in each hand, screaming "Common already, WTF is this world still doing here!". I say to these people, if you are looking for an adventure in survivalsm, move to some country where survivalism is not a hobby but a central part of daily life. If that is your dream, here are plenty of places around the world where you can live that dream life.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well, if someone drops a bomb on you, you will most likley die too.

This is what I'm getting too:

Moving your place of work into your shelter.
Getting bullet proof vests made for your children.
and for somepeople just having a BOB in general is too far.

Perhaps just asking the question a site such as this I will tend to get that same reply "There is no line". that seems to be the trend.
If one must define a "line" perhaps the simplest one is that someone has gone "too far" when their survival preparations have a major interfering impact on their daily life in the absence of a clear and present threat. What exactly constitutes such a threat, you must understand, is subject to interpretation.

For example, moving your place of work into a bunker without any clear reason would qualify as unnecessarily disruptive. Simply owning a "BOB" and other such related measures would not have such far-reaching effects on your everyday existence.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts