Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Archangle
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

I was just wondering at what point will you or did you start a secondary stash. What kind of location would be the ideal location?

I have a good home supply and i understand that a secondary stash is a good idea its just that i have a hard time starting it because it would bother me to be holed in my house knowing i have more goods in a second loacation i cant get to, or worse some other thug will live a few more days because he broke into my stuff.

I think a storage unit would be a good choice but i think those will be high taget areas after people clean out the supermarkets.

How far away should it be from your home or BOL, when would you get the stuff.. and most importantly what do you start putting there.. do you start by adding the extra camping equip you have or have upgraded from. How much food, fuel and water should be there.

I guess i am looking for whatever advise or thoughts you have because i am to the point where i could probably start one, although i plan on bugging in, i understand there may be a situation where i have to bail and goto my BOL.. and yes my BOL has stuff in it but it is 150 miles away.. I guess i need help here.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Garden potting shed/storage shed? Small outbuilding? Line the garage with shelves?

Seriously, if you have a good 'home stash', consider the logistics of getting to another stash off-site in a pinch. There's fuel, traffic, other people in a panic, the criminally intent, etc., to contend with. Plus, it's a bit hard to be all zen-and-inner-calm in that situation, so you have yourself to deal with, too.

If you plan to stay put if TSHTF, you might want to reconsider your existing storage options [and search the forum for some of the excellent ideas that folks have posted]. There's more than one way to store a bag o' beans.

·
Premium Member
68,762 Posts
I think a lot of it depends on your circumstances and what you envision happening to your primary stash. If you figure you might be ran off from your home, it's probably time to head to the BOL. I have a stash at mine, and caches galore along the way, in case I have to walk to it. I have 2 backup BOLs, but one is too far to walk to, so I have fuel caches on the way to it.

If you figure you may somehow lose the primary stash, but not be ran out of your home, caches on your property might be a good idea. I'm on a couple acres, and I've considered putting in a large stash out at the corner of the property or something, just in case. If I wasn't ran off, or they raided and left, I could always go dig it up and at least have something. If I was ran off, I might could sneak to the corner from another direction at night and dig it up. Just something I was considering, but haven't acted on yet, for the same reason as you. I feel secure with my caches, but not with a large stash where I can't always supervise it.

If you have a basement, maybe you could hide a stash and wall it in or something? If your house is large enough, you might be able to pull that off too.

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
You mentioned using a self storage unit. That might not be a bad idea for some items that you don't have space for in your house or on your property. If you do go this route there are a some considerations:

Make sure it's within walking distance, transportation may not be available.
No perishable items of any kind, these units can get overly hot.
No firearms or ammo.

If you do use one and there is a crisis situation you could assess what's happening before running out to the unit and getting your stuff. If it's a really bad situation and you need to get out, then do so quickly. Also nice part about it being close by. If not wait it out and get your stuff when it's safe to do so.

I know I'm thinking big here but you could have an old motorcycle or even an ATV with a trailer stored and ready to go. Or just the trailer and hitch it up and hit the road.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.