Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Lemming herder!
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was after whole wheat and whole oats in New Zealand in bulk - ie; 25kg sacks or thereabouts.

Found organic human-consumption grade wheat for $3.50 per KG by the 25kg sack, ... which isn't too far off the price of a 25kg bag of rice give or take.

Anyone got any better deals or know of a source for oats?

Had one dingy sales assitant in one shop insisting that rolled oats where raw oats that had nothing done to them "they come like that, thats what they look like", .... very unimpressed. :rolleyes:

-Cheers

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Hahahaha, unimpressed alright!

Sorry i can't help you with this one, I've never looked into buying wheat and oats in those quantities before.

·
Lemming herder!
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found both wheat and oats

Got 'em, both.

All organically certified (NZ product, clean and hulled) and no doubt I paid more because of it, not that it was a mental decision to go organic, I was just happy to find either available in the end.

Paid $90.00 per 25kg sack of human-consumption wheat.
Paid $100.00 per 25kg sack of human-consumption grade groats, (unprocessed oat grain).

A little more pricey than 25KG sacks of imported rice which was about $20-35 dollars cheaper last time I looked 6-8months ago but then "variety is the spice..." and all that. :D:

Got around a 10% discount off top for cash settlement "on the barrel".

The groats were hard as hell to find.

If I buy some more in the next week or two 'the retailer will be putting me direct in contact with the warehouse/supplier.
If/when I find out who they are and if anyone wants to know give me a PM.

·
Lemming herder!
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah bugger holiday time and relatives.

My younger brother (guy is an adult with a family) just saw a couple of hundred KG of raw grain in the back of my vehicle and was getting quite determined to know what it was (ie; wouldn't take me jokingly blowing the topic off).

Explained to him its food and that I'm making my own bread/cereal etc.
Didn't tell him sanything about long-term food storage.

He tells me I have a mental problem (you know - coz you can just buy bread and cereal from the supermarket) and buying that sort of stuff in bulk has just wasted my money.

I gave him examples of how much food prices have increased in the last year and at very least how much I am saving down the track by buying in bulk now.

He starts rattling off all the superfluous junk I could have bought instead of bulk food.

Same idiot and his wife are all for complete firearms bans and believe everything they see on the bloody television.

Ah well, they're moving country in the next 12months, no loss.

Have explained to him to keep his ****ing mouth shut in the meantime.

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Have explained to him to keep his ****ing mouth shut in the meantime.
Ha, gotta love big bros!

But seriously fair enough.
People often question me as to why I keep so much ammo on hand, but I remind them that my average plinking session will use 100 to 300 rounds depending on how many people I'm teaching (I work on the theory first time, I'll pay and teach/ once you know how to shoot, you can pay)
But in a SHTF situation, no more plinking and plenty of small game hunting. :thumb:

It has been the same with food, if someone sees my food preps, it's food for camping that I bought in bulk.
Dunno how I'd explain away some wheat, but my family all know I love porridge.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
He tells me I have a mental problem (you know - coz you can just buy bread and cereal from the supermarket) and buying that sort of stuff in bulk has just wasted my money.
Next time someone asks tell them you are getting into brewing and distilling your own drink.
Unless that activity is illegal there that is.
I find that shuts people up. Even people who know I DON'T DRINK.
Most people who ask don't truly want to know.

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Next time someone asks tell them you are getting into brewing and distilling your own drink.
Unless that activity is illegal there that is.
I find that shuts people up. Even people who know I DON'T DRINK.
Not illegal here and seeing as i brew my own, that is an awesome excuse!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
He He, just like when they say "goodmorning, how are you?" and you say "Hi" they never persist with finding out how you are? :p

Just like camping is my prepping excuse 99% of the time. (even though I hardly ever get to go...)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts