Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your truck gun and why? Whats its strong points what is it weaknesses? Pics welcome.

Mine is a New England Arms break action .20 gauge with slug/bird and buck shot.

Why: Gun is cheap if it gets stolen I am not out a lot of money, rusts (change in temps/seasons), extremely reliable, ammo is versatile, matches a lot of different needs be they arise. I cant tell you how many game birds/deer I have killed while just initially taking a joy ride in the country. Plus in the broke open position, (usually how it is stored in the truck, with ammo in the cup holder) it is really fast to load in a rush.

Range is limited but that's its only downfall.

·
Start up the rotors
7,663 Posts
I usually carry a Marlin 336 in 30-30. Upside is that it is a relatively powerful round with good range. Downside is limited mag capacity, though you can top it off on the fly, so that helps.

I also carry an M1 Carbine sometimes. Light, decent power, good capacity. No real downside except value.

Neither are 300+ yard guns really, but I don't see the 'trunk gun' as needing to fill that role.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't usually carry anything other than my Keltec .32 for personal defense, but am considering throwing my Saiga 7.62 x 39 in my trunk (car) due to what's been recently happening in places like Minnesota and Philly. Might even throw the .45 in for good measure. I guess it depends on what you need the gun for. If for food and sport, a shotgun is the best bet, but I'm more concerned with staying alive nowadays.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Henry AR7 under the back seat with around 100 rounds of 22lr. It is small, cheap, decently accurate, and goes bang when I pull the trigger. If it gets stolen I won't be heartbroken.

·
Camper #9
514 Posts
It has changed with the times. In a municipal area I carry a Marlin Camp-9N with a synthetic stock. When in the stix it is a Marlin 1894CSS.

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
Mossberg Persuader 7+1 with adj. stock +5 and Bushnell TRS-25 red dot

--- and all slugs 7+1+5 (13 total) and a shell belt with more slugs and buck

--- pretty good out to like 70 yards

This is just meant to be some heavier firepower to back up my ccw .45 I'm not sure what would make me bust it out...but it's there if I need it.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I have had a bunch of different truck guns but my longest has been the S&W model 65 thats in my truck right now. Along with the 65 is either a 10/22 or an H&R Tamer 20guage with a regular buttstock.

Watching Reginald Denny get hit in the head with a brick during the L.A. riots made me a believer in having a gun in my car at all times. I feel naked without it.

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
On me, 45 and 380 On me. Cant be used against me. Minimum a 40... If things go south, AK 47 underfolder too. Its enough gun to get home when far from home, concealable in a backpack, and massive firepower when needed. Six mags dont weigh a ton.

If it gets stolen, fine. No big loss. It goes boom. Downside... AK 47 vs 45/380 or .40.

12ga pump is wifes 'minivan gun' when SHTF. 38 snub 24/7.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Always check your state law regarding carrying a truck gun.

My state law states: "No person may transport a firearm in a motor vehicle unless the firearm is unloaded and in a closed gun case, or is unloaded and in the closed trunk of the motor vehicle. These requirements do not apply to pistols carried in compliance with the carry permit requirements of the Gun Control Act".

Hence, I only carry my Kahr T9 with me. It makes no sense breaking the law and potentialy loosing your right to bear arms, when not in a shtf situation.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Always check your state law regarding carrying a truck gun.

Mine states "No person may transport a firearm in a motor vehicle unless the firearm is unloaded and in a closed gun case, or is unloaded and in the closed trunk of the motor vehicle. These requirements do not apply to pistols carried in compliance with the carry permit requirements of the Gun Control Act".

Hence, I only carry my Kahr T9 with me. It makes no sense breaking the law and potentialy loosing your right to bear arms, when not in a shtf situation.
Absolutely agreed, if I had a trunk safe I would probably carry my 870 in the trunk but considering the fact that I carry all the time, it would be an absolute last resort. But then again so would pulling my CCW. I am not looking for a fight, and I am not looking to become a victim either.

·
I sell US Military MRE's
6,477 Posts
I've seen way too many stolen "truck guns" in my time. I won't do it. I really don't want to come back to my vehicle and find someone pointing my gun at me. Or that the nearby liquor store was just robbed with my gun.

My gun is on me or in a safe.

Az
If it's on you while your in the car or truck then I agree.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts