Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
And on a budget I should say (re coronavirus and generally speaking shft ,end times). Unfortunately im one of those ones who HAD an emergency kit + moved round heaps the last year with my parents spliting thankfully theyre back together anyway i digress but yes I had one and due to my circumstance and letting people talk me out of it I got rid of it now im having to scramble to find the funds to get this kit back.

Yeh whats your take on what kind for the best cheapest or 'cheaper' and a bug out bag situation evacuating in a hurry. Im from New zealand and we live near the hills in a tsunami we'd have to move pretty quick but i found those massive toilet singular rolls far to heavy to say climb up a mountain in a hurry with a bug out bag.

So I came to the conclusion tissues boxes are best its not the best interms of proper toilet paper but saving on money ,yes. Like I said Im scrambling to get my kit together and trying to sort out the best bulk / or most I can get out of my 'buck' americans would say.

·
I say I say
993 Posts
Costco
Charmin...it's bulky but that's because it so soft and gentle...I like to enjoy the go...
Might as well be comfy...

Also flushable wipes...but if you live in a dry environment (like here in Montana), keep them in a sealed container if you are going to store them long term....like ammo cans or pelican case....they will dry up over time but I have revived them with a little bit of water

·
Registered
450 Posts
I’ve had Kleenex, Northern TP, and paper towels on my Amazon subscribe and save for a couple of years now. Every 2 months I get a couple of packages and they go right into my preps. I don’t have to think about it and it’s not a huge expenditure all at once. I also have tooth powder, eye drops and hygiene items on my subscription.

·
Registered
227 Posts

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
TP is one of those luxury items that's nice to have but not needed, as others have said their are options. We have a Septic tank and are stuck using 2 ply, in an event we'll manage with cloth or if all else fails we still get phone books.
One of our Co-Workers shared that he was having problems with using TP in that it was irritating him, his Doctor recommended soft wash cloths or cloth diapers.

Myself, I'd stock up on diapers, bleach and make a small bucket washer if I thought TP would be unobtainable. Warning on storage of TP/paper products: Small critters love it, storage is bulky and large metal cabinets would be advisable if your not rodent free.

To the OP: I buy the (Costco) Kirkland brand and it's not too bad for 2 ply, just not Charmin soft.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
One of the guys I worked with said they used cloth in India. the maid just washed the cloth and it was used again. Personally I just buy at Costco.

·
Registered
227 Posts
One of the guys I worked with said they used cloth in India. the maid just washed the cloth and it was used again. Personally I just buy at Costco.
That's why you don't want to live in India. They probably didn't use bleach or proper disinfectant to remove the fecal bacteria, let alone the possible viruses. I guess if you boiled the cloth for a few days it might be ok.

·
I have control issues
5,988 Posts
I get the Member's Mark Ultra Premium TP from Sam's. 18 bucks for 45 rolls. We've tried the Costco brand, but husband didn't like it...it wasn't as soft as the Sam's brand. Not only that, but he doesn't go through it NEARLY as fast as he used to go through Angel Soft (he used to go through a roll a day of that.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I spent a lot of years as scoutmaster, and we often camped in unimproved campsites with no "facilities". The boys all instructed their families to replace the toilet paper at home when the roll got down to a 1/2 inch. That roll end was flattened out and packed in a zip lock bag, it was carried with a small garden trowel to dig and bury with.
For a longer term camp, we would remove the cardboard tube from the center of a full roll, and placed the tp in a coffee can with a 2" hole cut in the plastic lid. The paper was dispensed from the center of the roll through the hole in the top, and a pump bottle of hand sanitizer was duct taped to the outside of the can. This set up would be just fine in a SHTF application.

·
Museum Piece
312 Posts
In the attic are 12 24 roll Kirklands we bought when ever it was on sale.
I have 3 female bottoms to deal with. Me, we used leaves in the jungle.
We have nice soft 20 ply leaves here.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts