Survivalist Forum banner

1581 - 1600 of 1620 Posts

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Figured it was the 30-30 combo when I saw the colour case hardening. Most desirable combo in my opinion of the Savages. I wouldn't turn my nose up at the .357x20 combo either. Really either/or as the .357 really has a lot of energy out of a rifle, and having the same cartridge for a pistol is appealing also.
Well when I went looking for that combo. The .357 was what I wanted. But I got this combo for 1,000 bucks less then what they were asking for the 357... Sooo now I have the 30-30 combo...... Lol

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
To say I'm pleased with my model 24 would be an understatement. I don't know if I have ever shot an open sighted rifle that is this accurate. I can consistently ring a 24 inch gong out to 400 yards. If someone had told me it was possible. I would have laughed at them and told them they were dreaming.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Had a savage 30-30/20 gauge combo but had nothing but misfires with the 30-30 barrel unless I used Winchester ammo. But all my other 30-30 were already fed Remington so I was stocked for that. Sold it and got the Remington/ bakial 22lr/410 and the 410 misfired randomly with various brands of ammo. So you never knew when pulling the trigger if it was actually going to fire. Neither were something I was willing to bet my next meal or my life on.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Had a savage 30-30/20 gauge combo but had nothing but misfires with the 30-30 barrel unless I used Winchester ammo. But all my other 30-30 were already fed Remington so I was stocked for that. Sold it and got the Remington/ bakial 22lr/410 and the 410 misfired randomly with various brands of ammo. So you never knew when pulling the trigger if it was actually going to fire. Neither were something I was willing to bet my next meal or my life on.
Wow. Mine has never miss fired with any thing I've fed it. I've run quite a bit of really cheap stuff thru it and it eats it all

·
Registered
301 Posts
For this part of the bush......

Ishapor Enfield 2A or 2A1 made in India in the mid 1960s.

Will fire any 308 Win, or 762x51 load. Iron sights capable of very precise shooting at moderate distances. Rugged construction to a fault. Proven action made with much more modern materials than ever in the life of the firearm in a more than capable modern caliber.

My 5 cents of experience and opinion.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
For this part of the bush......

Ishapor Enfield 2A or 2A1 made in India in the mid 1960s.

Will fire any 308 Win, or 762x51 load. Iron sights capable of very precise shooting at moderate distances. Rugged construction to a fault. Proven action made with much more modern materials than ever in the life of the firearm in a more than capable modern caliber.

My 5 cents of experience and opinion.
I'd like to have one. Just cause I think they are cool

·
Space Force Recruit
1,348 Posts
I found a PTR built C93 for what one could call a good deal. PTR did a hell of a job building these things.

I'm going to be making some minor upgrades like installing a Tac Latch, but I've got high hopes for this gun.

I really like my PTR-91, and currently I would consider that my "perfect" survival gun, but once I do some testing and get the Tac Latch installed on my 93 clone, I have a feeling that it will be a very close competitor.

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
IMHO there is much variety in Terrain in North America. in Alaska or BC etc. I might go with a 45/70 , 308 , 303 etc. in the flat lands from N Dakota to West Texas maybe 243-30-06 , form the Ozarks to Appalachia , 30/30 , 223, 357-45LC etc. same for the Deep South Coastal plains/swamp. S/FI!

·
Space Force Recruit
1,348 Posts
I found a PTR built C93 for what one could call a good deal. PTR did a hell of a job building these things.

I'm going to be making some minor upgrades like installing a Tac Latch, but I've got high hopes for this gun.

I really like my PTR-91, and currently I would consider that my "perfect" survival gun, but once I do some testing and get the Tac Latch installed on my 93 clone, I have a feeling that it will be a very close competitor.
Gotta break out the dremel tool. Was hoping to not need one. RIP.

·
Space Force Recruit
1,348 Posts
Gotta break out the dremel tool. Was hoping to not need one. RIP.
Whoever designed the install on this thing needs to be shot. bubba'd the **** out of my receiver and latch trying to install it. It's in now and works, but the install sucked.

Looks like I took off a little too much metal and now I gotta JB weld some on to get it to work 100%

·
Space Force Recruit
1,348 Posts
Whoever designed the install on this thing needs to be shot. bubba'd the **** out of my receiver and latch trying to install it. It's in now and works, but the install sucked.

Looks like I took off a little too much metal and now I gotta JB weld some on to get it to work 100%
JB Welding the surface worked really well, and so far 100 mag changes in it has held up. will have to keep an eye on it.

I also found out that my magazine well was completely out of spec for any magazine but the one that came with the rifle, which was also out of spec. I clamped the magwell in a vise and slowly tightened it while checking the fitment of my new HK Steel 30rd magazines, and now the mag well is in spec for the HK magazines.

The supplied Malaysian aluminum 40rd magazine still fits, but it is incredibly tight. Promag 30rders are slightly looser than the HK magazines.

This gun is shaping up to be a project, but at the very least it'll help me brush up on my garage gunsmithing/bubba skills. Now all I need to do is get to the range with it and make sure I didn't screw up anything integral to the operation of the rifle. Doubt I did, but you never know.

·
Space Force Recruit
1,348 Posts
JB Welding the surface worked really well, and so far 100 mag changes in it has held up. will have to keep an eye on it.

I also found out that my magazine well was completely out of spec for any magazine but the one that came with the rifle, which was also out of spec. I clamped the magwell in a vise and slowly tightened it while checking the fitment of my new HK Steel 30rd magazines, and now the mag well is in spec for the HK magazines.

The supplied Malaysian aluminum 40rd magazine still fits, but it is incredibly tight. Promag 30rders are slightly looser than the HK magazines.

This gun is shaping up to be a project, but at the very least it'll help me brush up on my garage gunsmithing/bubba skills. Now all I need to do is get to the range with it and make sure I didn't screw up anything integral to the operation of the rifle. Doubt I did, but you never know.
Update to the PTR C93.

So I finally got to shoot it. I put 200rds of some crappy ammo (gun show reloads my dad bought several years ago) I had, and the rifle ate it all up with the exception of somewhere around the 7th magazine, the first round in the ProMag magazine did not chamber. I took the round out of the magazine and put the magazine back in and the entire magazine shot with no issue afterwards.

I'm thinking it is the magazine, so it's been isolated for further testing.

At the 200rd mark I had a case head separation due to the crappy ammo I was shooting, which I've had in other rifles using the same ammo from that same batch, so I am 100% sure it is the ammo. Anyway the case head was stuck in the chamber and the gun at this point was too hot to take apart at the range, so I called it a day for the rifle.

·
Space Force Recruit
1,348 Posts
I should start a thread for this.

Anyway the case head separation must have been a rupture or something, as my OP rod is bent and now the bolt won't close at all on a snap cap or lie round. The rifle headspaces at 0.018 bolt gap from 0.019 after just over 200rds, plus whatever the original owner put through it , and the cocking tube gap both passes the dime test and spaces at 0.035".

What a conundrum. I've still got like 1,000rds of that ****ty ammo left too. The experience working on the rifle is worthwhile at least.

Edit: Turns out there's still a piece of the shell in the chamber. That's the problem, not the buffer spring/op rod.

I'm gonna stop posting here since I'm taking up all the thread space with off topic comments. Will make a new thread if I have any updates.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,273 Posts
WHATEVER you have in your hands that works and keeps you alive is the best one.

BUT

IF I had to choose a rifle to take me through the Apocalypse and back..
M14/M1A

big enough to hurt big things from far away yet provide a decent rate of fire for when life gets up close and personal... and it WORKS!

I say this because it is one of the reasons I am still alive today.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Reactions: jvtater
1581 - 1600 of 1620 Posts