Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1607 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,044 Posts
with so many rifle platforms and calibers to choose from if you could build your perfect survival rifle what would it be?
what caliber would it be?

my ''could be'' perfect rifle would be galail/kalish. semi-sporter configuration ( not full military ) all stainless steel , chambered in 3006.....3, 5rd mags and able to except 20rd mags of BAR desighn..... and a better custom side rail and optics mount than the russian/east block pattern..........

·
Getting there....
1,231 Posts
For survival? A single shot breech loading rifle, like the one's made by Rossi or H&R/NEF. Better yet, a combo gun with a rifle/shotgun over-under barrel. Survival and defense are really two different animals, in my opinion. For survival, you need a rifle that's functional, as few moving parts as possible, and reasonably accurate out to 200m. For home defense/urban combat/whatever, it depends upon your situation (urban vs rural), physical strength, etc. You're going to get a LOT of feedback as some prefer Kalashnikov variants (I'm among this group), AR-15 and assorted Little Black Rifle clones, Simonov carbines, or something entirely different (HK, Springfield, Garand, Mini-14, etc.).

Personally, I wish I had the $ for a Galil in .308. Because I'm on a budget, I have a Saiga in .308.

·
Forum Administrator
16,736 Posts
Each rifle is going to be different for each person. My needs will be different from someone that hunts in the mountains.

My idea rifle would be bolt action or lever action and somewhere around the 308, 30-30 or 30-06 caliber. Right now I have a 280 and a 270, both of which are ideal for my location.

·
Banned
1,064 Posts
I agree, if I had to choose one rifle to cover all scenerios it would have to be a 30-06 due to it's versitility with light to heavy bullets for a variety of game. I would want a semi-auto design for defense. An M-1 Garand with a GOOD scope mount would be my first choice. A Rem.742 would be my second choice with 10 rnd mags. and a scope. Third choice would be a 308win MBR with a GOOD scope mount.

·
Super Moderator
12,060 Posts
A modernized and ruggadized Savage 99 lever action in .308 with medium/medium heavy 22 inch barrel w/Mannlicher stock w/accessory rails and bayonet lug

Ghost ring peep sight w/no tool clickable windage & elevation adjustment (or HK style drum sight)
Pachymar Lo-swing/QD reciever side scope mount w/4x-12x scope
Stripper clip guide on action
Multi-point sling attachment w/sling

To use M-14 magazines, stripper clips, & stripper clip magazine guide
5-round flush
20-round
30-round
100-round Beta-C dual drum

Wirecutting bayonet w/QD sheath
Light Bipod

Butt stock cleaning kit

I would carry a box of .32ACP and two or three chamber adapters to use the .32ACP for small game hunting.

·
Premium Member
12,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i love the concept but not the price.....it would be nice if savage made up something in a drillinge though...........

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
There are a lot of combo guns around currently russian made in rifle cartridges and shotgun usually 12 gauge. I have as my primary deer hunting gun a Savage 24V 30/30 over 20 gauge and I hand load the 30/30 to take advantage of the 24 inch barrel and the fact I can use pointed bullets.
I also have a very handy Springfield M-6 22 Hornet over 410 in my BOB

·
Simple Man
428 Posts
If I had only one, it would have to be my Mossberg 590 12ga. Holds 9 rds in the gun, with pistol grip, tele. stock, 6rd side sattle, 5rd sattle on stock, and a red-dot mounted on top. Smooth bore, so I can use a variety of ammo for small game, large game and defense. I was nailing a paper plate at 100yrds without a problem the other day, of course that was with a bench rest.

·
Son Of Liberty
1,871 Posts
AR15 with 22kit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I prefer the Automatic laser sighted 12 guage radar controlled uzi heat seaking shot gun with optional rocket launcer. Hey thats how I got big foot! Guess this is a clue this will be another expert opinion... ok Definition of an Expert = Drip Under Pressure!

ok ok time to get real. If we are talking about survival get the bad guy before he gets you shooting, I so agree with most that each has his or her preference. I guess the practical approach is what ever you can hit the entended target is the rifle of choice. Who cares if you have a million dollars to buy a weapon if you can hit the mark better with a $200 dollar SKS and cant hit the broad side of a barn with a $5000.00 Weatherby. I take the cheap approach. More of my fellow GIs were hit with rounds from AK47s and SKS's than anything... so I have an SKS for close end and hunting and my favorite Remington 30/06 with a cheap Leopold scope. Hey it works for me. After all I just want to hit them before they see me. If you have to get close it may be too late. Its always best to have them never know where the round came from then say my see that guy he sure was a great shot! Lets go and thank him for taking out Ivan and Wolfgang! Not!

Good luck on your quest for the Perfect rifle.

1 - 20 of 1607 Posts