Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
Kifaru Late Season packed with my favorite goodies.
12,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this youtube page thats kind of semi active here and there. I am thinking about doing a short mini series for it, as a new project for next year. I want to try and up the professionalism just a tad, as opposed to my normal horrendous not made for TV youtube videos.

So I am looking at how other channels, and also survival shows are formatted and how they tell their stories. I thought it would be a good idea to ask everyone what their favorite shows are, and why. This would give me some examples to study as I try and figure out how to maybe improve my own production skills a bit.

So, what are your favorite shows, and what do you like about them?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have this youtube page thats kind of semi active here and there. I am thinking about doing a short mini series for it, as a new project for next year. I want to try and up the professionalism just a tad, as opposed to my normal horrendous not made for TV youtube videos.

So I am looking at how other channels, and also survival shows are formatted and how they tell their stories. I thought it would be a good idea to ask everyone what their favorite shows are, and why. This would give me some examples to study as I try and figure out how to maybe improve my own production skills a bit.

So, what are your favorite shows, and what do you like about them?

Been a subscribers of your channel long before joining these boards.

On Three is one of my favourite yt channels, just straight up down to earth life skills with a "prepper/survivalist" slant.

TV? We don't really watch tbh Alone when we can get it over here, used to watch a few but they all turned out fake/heavily scripted in one way or another

·
12,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been a subscribers of your channel long before joining these boards.

On Three is one of my favourite yt channels, just straight up down to earth life skills with a "prepper/survivalist" slant.

TV? We don't really watch tbh Alone when we can get it over here, used to watch a few but they all turned out fake/heavily scripted in one way or another
Thanks for the Subscribe!

Most of those are heavily scripted. Its almost a stereo type.

I am actually thinking of building a running spoof on that into the series.

I have my ex living with me right now. We are talking about calling the series "Ex's in the woods". So to spoof the scripted thing, I was thinking about like doing an episode on snaring. but instead of catching a rabbit, we catch a carton of eggs. My ex will then make french toast in the woods (Her french toast is to die for, btw...worst part of the divorce was no more french toast).

As she makes the french toast, we will be telling stories of our crazy relationship from when we were dating and married.

·
Registered
Depends
373 Posts
I really liked Dual Survival. It pitted a military survivalist against a civilian survivalist. The different mind sets between the two. I believe in a real survival situation it is about getting from point A to Wow its finally over As quickly and safely as possible. Water is important not eating a couple of days just removes a few unwanted pounds from most people.

I was also a fan of Dude Your screwed it did not last to long. A few of things I really remember. The Navy Seal pulled fire out of his nose. The American special forces guy as they where throwing him out of the chopper into the gulf of mexico snagged the emergency kit next to the door on his way out. Also the British special forces guy. He brought the English mentality to the survival game. He was into finding some normalcy while in survival mode. One time I remember him making pine needle tea and just enjoying a few minutes of his spot of tea. I think I remember seeing his pinky sticking out.

Man woman wild. He was a military survival expert and she was his wife. One thing really stood out they encountered a bear and instead of immediately back tracking. He went into the enemy is in sight and you dont let the enemy out of sight in-till it is no longer a threat. Also she took it seriously and sometimes when they were disagreeing I felt he was on shake ground.

The ultimate survival skill the Atlatl. And Matt Grams ability to us it. If I was younger I would lean how to make and use them

Watching these shows made a difference when got I into trouble.
If you PM me I have some ideas for you if you explain what direction you want to go. Some came from my survival experience. Also I have a shooting channel on youtube. "Nevada Desert Rat" Can you say rank amateur?
NDR

·
12,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really liked Dual Survival. It pitted a military survivalist against a civilian survivalist. The different mind sets between the two. I believe in a real survival situation it is about getting from point A to Wow its finally over As quickly and safely as possible. Water is important not eating a couple of days just removes a few unwanted pounds from most people.

I was also a fan of Dude Your screwed it did not last to long. A few of things I really remember. The Navy Seal pulled fire out of his nose. The American special forces guy as they where throwing him out of the chopper into the gulf of mexico snagged the emergency kit next to the door on his way out. Also the British special forces guy. He brought the English mentality to the survival game. He was into finding some normalcy while in survival mode. One time I remember him making pine needle tea and just enjoying a few minutes of his spot of tea. I think I remember seeing his pinky sticking out.

Man woman wild. He was a military survival expert and she was his wife. One thing really stood out they encountered a bear and instead of immediately back tracking. He went into the enemy is in sight and you dont let the enemy out of sight in-till it is no longer a threat. Also she took it seriously and sometimes when they were disagreeing I felt he was on shake ground.

The ultimate survival skill the Atlatl. And Matt Grams ability to us it. If I was younger I would lean how to make and use them

Watching these shows made a difference when got I into trouble.
If you PM me I have some ideas for you if you explain what direction you want to go. Some came from my survival experience. Also I have a shooting channel on youtube. "Nevada Desert Rat" Can you say rank amateur?
NDR
All of these are great shows. The Ex like man Woman Wild too!

·
12,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought the Bigfoot stuff was comical. As hokey as it was, I liked that series.

Survivorman. Les Stroud is the man. Yeah he went a little wonky with the Bigfoot stuff late in his career but I don't think that takes anything away from his skills and dedication to being authentic. Plus, he's a pretty good musician ti boot.

·
12,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I havent seen the new season yet, but I watched it religiously up until COVID hit.

Then, real life replaced it.

The Walking Dead hands down for me......it's not about the zombies as many would think.....it's about human nature when it all goes wrong.

HK

·
Super Moderator wearing a Cape
5,237 Posts
I am actually thinking of building a running spoof on that into the series.

I have my ex living with me right now. We are talking about calling the series "Ex's in the woods". So to spoof the scripted thing, I was thinking about like doing an episode on snaring. but instead of catching a rabbit, we catch a carton of eggs. My ex will then make french toast in the woods (Her french toast is to die for, btw...worst part of the divorce was no more french toast).

As she makes the french toast, we will be telling stories of our crazy relationship from when we were dating and married.
I dont watch TV at all but I would watch this.

·
12,058 Posts
My Ex is hysterical, when she starts giving me **** over all the crazy things I got her into when we were kids too!

I dont watch TV at all but I would watch this.

·
12,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like the premise of alone but am less satisfied with all the crying that goes on. They are braver than me though. I would not choose to go into polar bear country without at least a shotgun. Prefer a high powered rifle.
I think they have to do that to please a mainstream audience.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I like alone too, for the simple fact it seems legit. I forget what season(s) it was where one fella took a moose and another got a muskox and both men still struggled with weight loss. A lot of folks I don't think realize that wild game is very difficult to survive on, the show does a good job showing this.

·
12,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I like alone too, for the simple fact it seems legit. I forget what season(s) it was where one fella took a moose and another got a muskox and both men still struggled with weight loss. A lot of folks I don't think realize that wild game is very difficult to survive on, the show does a good job showing this.
Low fat

High protein though. I suspect that over time, one would build a lot of muscle.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts