Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Leatherman, can't remember the model but it's the 'original' Leatherman, and just picked up a Gerber Suspension. I really like both of them, I like some things on the LM better than the Gerber and vice versa, curious what you guys have to say about the SOG brand multi tools, thanks.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
I liked the old wave the best. The one with 4 sizes of flat screwdrivers LOL It was my favorite. Since I lost that one, I have upgraded to the Charge. It has an awesome blade on it with some actually quality steel.

But my ideal would be a wave with an upgraded main blade.

EDIT:
LOL sorry I just noticed you asked about the SOG. Sorry never tried it.

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
Victorinox Deluxe Tinker

If I need a big pair of pliers I get in the toolbox and use the dedicated pliers. But for little stuff while traveling the Deluxe Tinker can't be beat.

It's good for small stuff and is small.
Victorinox Deluxe Tinker.jpg

:D:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello All,

I'm currently using a Lowes Multi tool. Blades not the best (dosn't hold an edge long) and blade / drivers don't lock, but I havn't been able to break it. I've carried an old Gerber that pinched the palm of my hand, and broken several Leatherman products. For around $15.00 you have a pretty good tool. I beleive Kolbalt tools have a lifetime warranty.

Ronnie

·
Patient Zero
1,221 Posts
As with many knives and tools it boils down to personal preference and budget. For personal preference I do like the Leatherman wave but I will say that getting used to how the SOG folds out ( the handle is loose and flips out loosely then gets tight as you fully open it) the process does take a little getting used to . While it is a quality multi-tool and I would use it if it was in the pack but it is a personal preference thing with me . Also I do like the full size Gerber multi-tool the smaller size has a tendency to pinch my hand when using the pliers again a quality multi-tool but it boils down to personal preference.

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
Personal Preference

EXACTLY! Personal Preference!

I have several multi-tools but I like the Victorinox Deluxe Tinker because it is one of the smallest with full sized blades.

I have a Leatherman Squirt E2 & a SOG Crossgrip (I think no longer made) but they are very tiny.

I to have a SOG Paratool and it is a bit different than others the way it opens. I also have an old Leatherman given to me back when there was only one Leatherman; back then multi-tools were??? A lot of what I have is older stuff or added to my collection for its' uniqueness like the SOG. My knife colelction is not huge but it is unique. I have a Spyderco multi-tool that was only made for a year and was $$$ and very strange and could use some slight improvements, but it is very unique! Looks like it's still listed but out of stock...? Mine is made in the USA not Taiwan like this reintroduced pile of :taped:!
http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=286
Spyderco SpydeRench  3.jpg

Most of what is made today I don't trust the quality. Like the Lowes/Kobalt not holding an edge. A blade must hold an edge! Otherwise why even have a blade?

:)

·
Survival Actual
4,684 Posts
I have a Kobalt multitool and a Gerber. I love them both. The kobalt one is easier on the hands tho. Nice rubber inlay for better grip and comfort. BOTH of them have the sharpest wood saws i have ever seen on a multitool..... If had to pick on one of them, id pick the gerber tho, because the blades and tools lock open, so they dont fold up on your hand by accident.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Leatherman MUT

Hey folks check out Sept 2010's new Leaherman!! I think I'm in love with the MUT and I vote this as my new Favorite tool. Here's a vid on youtube:thumb: and if you're interested they are avalable for preorder:eek: at LeathermanStore.com too!!:D::D::D:

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
Leatherma MUT

Seems like anything with 'MILITARY' in the name jacks the price way up anymore. At nearly $200 I think I can make do with what I already have for firearm maintenance. And it's nearly a year off until the start shipping if they keep to the schedule.

Anyway I don't have a military style firearm so the MUT would be useless.

Glad some of you have money to burn.

:upsidedown:

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Seems like anything with 'MILITARY' in the name jacks the price way up anymore. At nearly $200 I think I can make do with what I already have for firearm maintenance. And it's nearly a year off until the start shipping if they keep to the schedule.
I have to disagree, I personally think this is a flash of brilliance my Leatherman and one if the reasons that keeps their company on top. Outside thinking to a huge market that has been untouched by multi-tools. I am excited for them and they deserve all the credit for doing this product.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My Leathermans mostly,My Surge gets carried a lot, Sideclip is worn @ work, Crunch when riding motorcycle, A Micra is always on my keyring. original Leatherman when hunting, Skeletool or one of many SAK's when backpacking or hiking. Pretty much a constant rotation so I don't forget which one's I already own..

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
Multi-tool

i used to have a real love for the Gerber ones because of my love for most all things Gerber. but after recieving a Leatherman 200 super tool i have found that this is my new go -to multi-tool. i do however want to try one of the SOG's now that Gunny Ermey is with them ---- Eric

1 - 20 of 37 Posts