Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be doing a lot of painting soon, pretty much the whole house.

I am looking for something I can use in one bedroom, hallway, common room. Something scrubbable. Good coverage, and will last forever.

Then I have a laundry room, bathroom, and office I also need to paint.

I have colors picked out (mainly cream with a little aqua and lavender, orange in the office) I just need to pick a brand.

I got some Behr Marquee samples which I like but I could not find a good cream color (I will be getting 5 gallons of that) in their lineup. Can I just bring in "my" paint chip to Home Depot to match?

Or is it better to go to another brand?

Reactions: Jack Swilling

·
Don't fear the Reaper
1,492 Posts
PK, I've changed from Behr paint, which I always bought for quality and durability, to the 'Do It Best' hardware store brand.

It's every bit as good as Behr, and was either the top consumer report paint or one of the top few. I've used Do It Best's exterior latex semi gloss and interior semi gloss and interior gloss enamel. Their bright white is just a white as Behrs, and a bit cheaper.

I have used Ace hardware's brand, and it was also very good. I don't know if Ace and Do It Best are the same company or not, but they seem like they are. Anyway, the Do It Best store brand is excellent.

Coverage is excellent, no having to put two coats on anything. Quality is very good too, very consistent.

I am going to need to paint baseboards soon, and a couple of interior rooms, and I'm going to buy that brand instead of Behr, which has gotten too expensive. $45 for a gallon of interior latex?? No way.

ALSO--at the Do It Best stores, they have the computerized color matching thing and they have been able to match several paint chips I took in there over the years. I got a paint chip from a Glidden color (the crappiest paint on the market) that was a beautiful light butter yellow. They matched it perfectly.

·
Retired *****
18,296 Posts
I will be doing a lot of painting soon, pretty much the whole house.

I am looking for something I can use in one bedroom, hallway, common room. Something scrubbable. Good coverage, and will last forever.

Then I have a laundry room, bathroom, and office I also need to paint.

I have colors picked out (mainly cream with a little aqua and lavender, orange in the office) I just need to pick a brand.

I got some Behr Marquee samples which I like but I could not find a good cream color (I will be getting 5 gallons of that) in their lineup. Can I just bring in "my" paint chip to Home Depot to match?

Or is it better to go to another brand?
Consumer Reports likes the Behr brands. Home Depot can match any paint chip you have.

https://www.consumerreports.org/interior-paints/best-interior-paints-from-consumer-reports-tests/

·
Registered
513 Posts
As far as I know ( as of last year) Ace till makes the small sample sizes for you to take home for 2-3.00, the home depot sample size is around 5.00. When your deciding on 5 shades of the same color it starts to add up.

When You decide your shades have them print off an extra label so you can put it in your house repair binder without having to tape it to the page. I smear paint on the page too so I know what the heck I’m looking at later.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Whatever brand you use, choose the eggshell finish. Easier to clean and looks nice in any room. We just re-painted every room in the house with it. We went same color for walls and ceiling - flat for ceilings and egg shell for the walls. Turned out great.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Thinking that you will get a match, color-wise is just a hope
I know that from experience
I like Sherwin Williams
But most often go with Wal Mart Glidden, highest quality that they carry
I do not think it matters much, as long as you get a good quality paint

·
Don't fear the Reaper
1,492 Posts
The hardware store I use can color match paint exactly. And I mean exactly. I was painting an exterior section of siding consisting of cedar shakes with the Do It Best brand of exterior latex semi gloss in a chocolate brown color. Ran out of paint in the middle of the wall and went to get another gallon mixed. I took the lid so they could use the dried paint on the inside of it to match the color. I was dubious when they showed me the color in the can after it was mixed, and told me if it didn't match to bring it back and they would do it again at no charge. I got home, painted a few swaths, and waited for it to dry. It was much lighter in the can and when wet. It dried much darker, and when it was dried I could not tell where the new paint started.

I have a critical eye for color, especially paints, because I paint in oils as a hobby. Almost all the colors have to be mixed to obtain what I want. And I could not tell where the new paint was. It was a 100% match. When I ran out of paint again, I repeated the same process and the third can of paint was also a 100% match. Now that's the only place I get paint.

Your mileage may, of course, vary.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I like Behr paint and find it much easier to apply and more durable than the Valspar from Lowe's. Haven't tried the "Do It Best" paint but may the next time I'm painting.
Most paint providers have the "color match" capability can provide any color you want.

·
Don't fear the Reaper
1,492 Posts
IMO, Valspar isn't all it's advertised to be. The spray paint line is awful. I get better coverage from 2X Rustoleum.

A long time ago I tried Valspar interior paint and had to put on two coats to cover plain white. I'm too lazy to paint a room twice so I started using Behr.

I'd use Behr again if/when I see it on sale cheaper than the DIB hardware brand. But then again, Home Depot is a lot farther away than the DIB store, so I may not.

·
Registered
106 Posts
for walls and ceilings sherwin Williams Pro Mar 200 on walls and rolled, or pro mar 400 sprayed or for ceilings. Also use Sherwin Williams Pro Classic for trim oil based or water based.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I like Benjamin Moore Aura, which is their best paint. It's expensive but is great paint. Are you painting a house you're going to be in for a long time or will you be moving sometime soon? I wouldn't spend the money if I was moving, but if I were staying in the house, go with something a step up than Behr imo.

·
Registered
12,109 Posts
When it was still available, Sear's Easy Living was my favorite paint. These days, Glidden Premium from Home Depot is our choice in paint.

·
Vigilant Curmudgeon
481 Posts
Sherwin Williams Super Paint for interior is the choice for 2 guys , I know, that are pro.painters. Even I used it with success.

For exterior... "Sunproof" by PPG (Pittsburgh Paints) is awesome, and when prepped and primed ; looks brand new when finally painted.
Finally means it took me 2 weeks to paint a med. Shed.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Speedhide is what I see on a lot of commercial jobs. Im mostly painting with behr, but several good brands already mentioned.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
The big box brands suck. Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore are expensive. But you coat it once and you're done for a very long time. I've tired using Behr and ended up having to do two coats. And it was still garbage looking.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Behr Marque is expensive. If you are going for a flat here is an old painters trick...buy a can of Kilz and ask them to add whatever color to it.

It use to be easier to do but now days you might get some flak from the idiot behind the counter. Tell them it is for a clubhouse or kids project. If they still give you gruff insist and say that is what you want.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Beware of the dog!
1,939 Posts
PurpleKitty, did you get a recommendation for just about every paint brand out there? Kinda looked like it when I skimmed the thread. But, I don't think I saw Sherwin-Williams mentioned. I don't have a personal preference but my girlfriend keeps telling me if/when I ever get my house livable she will be buying the paint from Sherwin-Williams, because she is pleased with the quality and when they have their regular sales their prices are very good.
As far as the color match process, I believe the scanners and the computer programs are all about equal in ability to match the color chip you provide, whether it is a card off the display at the store or a cloth patch off grammas favorite dress the scanner will read the color and the computer will tell the tint machine how much of each color is needed to match what it saw. Now, if you are having the machine read an uneven surface shadows and fade variations will effect the color it sees, but that is a different topic.
I work at a major name national home building type store (the name doesn't matter) but regardless of the store when you go to the paint counter the employee will ask what color, what sheen, and what price point you are willing to spend for the project at hand. Money no object? Buy their best, most expensive and enjoy the results. On a tight budget, decide between the two most affordable. Wanna splurge a bit, buy in the middle.
As with anything else, opinions are like armpits, everyone has a couple and many of them stink.
=-) Good luck, watch the sale adds, and try not to spill.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts