Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep a prepped 3-day pack in the car trunk and in the home (both courtesy of the US Navy), and also a 3-dayer in behind the truck seat.

However for camping trips I take my old dependable and durable commercial backpack. It's unique for a few of reasons.

First, I got it for Christmas 1976, I was 13. Yep, I'm 47 and the pack is now 34 YEARS OLD. Barely a tear in it and all the grommets and loops are still solid. The material is still in great shape.

Second, it's been to more countries than I have. I've taken it on foreign trips myself and when I was active duty and took it ashore sometimes. Other times I loaned it out and friends and shipmates have taken it across other borders.

Third, it's a chair. It has an odd "Double L" shaped frame that goes down your back like normal, then loops under the pack and forms an open shelf about 8" below the pack. When you take it off, you swing out the one "L" of the frame so now it looks more like an "h" and it becomes a seat.

I have never seen another one like that. Anyone else seen one? Anyone got a pack with unique features?

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Currently, my favorite 2 day+ pack is the large molle pack, which holds 4,000 cubic inches.

For a day pack its the Maxpedition Falcon II Pygmy

Video comparing the large molle and medium alice pack.

Video about the maxpedition falcon II pygmy

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
+ 1 on the Pygmy Falcon II for the short trips. If you could get a Carinthia shelter I would use it in a heart beat. They don't hold much else, though pouches fit all over the place on them. I have 7 on mine.

The Eagle Industries Becker Patrol Pack rocks. Get the internal frame panel and they are unrivaled.

Hard to beat a good old medium Alice Pack, though. So cheap and reliable.

·
Prepper elite
4,538 Posts
The army Assult pack is pretty good ... has a butt pack attached to it now... good space strong bag material.

I picked up a bigger bag the Bug out bag in iraq same material good quality and quite a bit more room..

·
Registered
23 Posts
first off -congrats on having a pack 34 years you still like and can use! hey, that's cool!

BOB's were always Alice's - medium and larges...for me and family. I was just used to them after my time in army in the 80's. heck they'd all be 30+ years old by now anyway! lol!

then my daily bag (after WAY TOO MANY purchases) became the RUSH 24. Can't say enough good about this bag....and I decided to upgrade the BOB to the RUSH 72.

All I had in the large Alice went into the RUSH 72 and it didn't look half full! lol! The 72 is a lot to spend on a bag I hope to never use...but I love the 24 too much not to want all that comfort and organization in the BOB if I ever did need it.

·
Passed away March 22, 2011
1,298 Posts
First and foremost my favourite pack was the Wilderness Equipment SAS Mk6 pack, that I bought in the mid 1980's, I wish I had never sold it it in the early 1990's but I needed the money then.

I have a US Army CFP-90 now and it's pretty good though, so I'd call it my 2nd favourite pack I've owned.

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
My new favorite:

http://www.ospreypacks.com/detail.php?productID=122&colorCode=970&tab=features

Argon 85

Argon 85 Features
AquaSource ReCurve in the pack
AquaSource Recurve on your back
Argon / Xenon Airscape backpanel
Convertible top pocket / lumbar pack
Fabric Side Pocket
Front panel zipper
Front zipppered pocket
Pack-to-body interface
Sleeping Bag Compartment
Stretch Woven Front Pocket
Stretch woven side pockets and straps

AquaSource ReCurve in the pack
The AquaSource Recurve clips into the pack to carry hydration vertically down the backpanel or across the top of your load.

Suspension Technology

ReCurve
The ReCurve Suspension is our deluxe load carrier available on our full-feature Argon and Xenon packs.

Features:
* HDPE framesheet with dual 2024 AL 2/3 length, 20mm stays
* 7075-T6 aluminum ReCurve rods provide consistent and stable flex and shock absorption.
* AirScape backpanel with tri-section 10mm ridged foam, central air chimney and drop down lumbar hipbelt attachment

BioForm A/X Components
* Dual density foam harness with softer cutouts in neck and armpit regions
* BioForm CM™ A/X hipbelt with internal seams for even better comfort

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,279 Posts
EDC - Mammut Face 22

BOB/3-4 Day Camping - Arc'teryx Bora 40

Anything over 4 days - Osprey Crescent 75

·
Registered
148 Posts
well I just got one of these:

http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/KestrelSeriesTorsoAdjustable/Kestrel48/

i hike a bit, carry 3L of water and some bare necessities that add up to about 25#. at 10k-12k feet above sea level, 8 miles or so in duration, 25#s can feel like a whole lot more. good fun though! this new pack fits better, has good ventilation, and can hold more than I really want to take with me.

i have a ton of maxped packs that I love until i put 20+ pounds in them and then they kill my shoulders. I use the new

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Noatak-Gearslinger-2p1436.htm

for my edc still though.

·
Like MacGyver, but w/guns
315 Posts
+1 for the US issue molle II assault pack.

I've got a molle canteen setup on each side of my bag. It's as durable and expandable as I need it to be.

The only thing I would change is the gear straps on the top. They need to be longer to accommodate a sleep system or blanket roll. Yeah it could all be strapped to the bottom mounts but I put my bag down alot. I'd rather it be higher up.

·
90/10 headed for 95/5
7,665 Posts
Daypack: Depending on what we're up to, either a Maxpedition Sabercat Versipack (which I love in spite of the PALS garbage) or a Mountain Equipment Co-op Exorcist.

2-3 Days: Arc'teryx Axios 50

4 or more days: Arc'teryx Bora 80

·
Sneaky Bastard
116 Posts
Truck Bag / 3-Day Bag
Patrol pack from a CFP-90. Packed with the essentials (knife, water filter, alcohol stove and fuel, fire starters, 50ft. of 550 paracord, wool blanket, army poncho, small FAK, snare wire, change of clothes, map, folding trowel, side-saddle 1qt. canteens w/ canteen cup) plus food for 3-4 days.

Bug-Out / Extended Stay Pack
ALICE-MOLLE hybrid (medium ALICE w/ frame, MOLLE sleep system carrier, improved ALICE shoulder straps, MOLLE kidney belt). Contains military Intermediate sleeping bag, foam pad, camo tarp, machete, change of clothes, maps, gallon Ziploc bags, 100ft. of 550 paracord, stainless cook set, side-saddle 2 qt. canteens, and week's worth of food.

The truck bag is always in my truck or whatever vehicle I'm in. In the event of an extended bugout, the contents of the truck bag go into the ALICE-MOLLE hybrid.

Now, just have to help my fiancee set her bag up.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Truck Bag / 3-Day Bag
Patrol pack from a CFP-90. Packed with the essentials (knife, water filter, alcohol stove and fuel, fire starters, 50ft. of 550 paracord, wool blanket, army poncho, small FAK, snare wire, change of clothes, map, folding trowel, side-saddle 1qt. canteens w/ canteen cup) plus food for 3-4 days.

Bug-Out / Extended Stay Pack
ALICE-MOLLE hybrid (medium ALICE w/ frame, MOLLE sleep system carrier, improved ALICE shoulder straps, MOLLE kidney belt). Contains military Intermediate sleeping bag, foam pad, camo tarp, machete, change of clothes, maps, gallon Ziploc bags, 100ft. of 550 paracord, stainless cook set, side-saddle 2 qt. canteens, and week's worth of food.

The truck bag is always in my truck or whatever vehicle I'm in. In the event of an extended bugout, the contents of the truck bag go into the ALICE-MOLLE hybrid.

Now, just have to help my fiancee set her bag up.

ALICE-MOLLE hybrid is what we call ,"THE HELLCAT", :thumb:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=47472&highlight=hellcat&page=2

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
I'm aware of that, and I used the thread you linked to to build it. I got a deal on a set of the improved ALICE straps, and used them instead of the MOLLE straps. Therefore, I don't consider it a true HELLCAT.

ahh i see.... are the straps better than the molle straps?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts