Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are your best tips/tricks/nuggets of wisdom...???

There have been some really neat and practical tips passed on here on the boards. Was that it would be neat to have them all in one place.

Here's some of the ones that I have learned here that I keep as some of my favourites.

1. Carry a pencil sharpener in your BOB. Use it to make shavings out of dry pencil sized twigs.

2. Carry glue sticks in your BOB for emergency glue

3. Carry super glue in your first aid kit for emergency sutures.

4. Carry rubber bands made from inner tubes. They are heavy duty/ functional bands, but also come in handy for getting fires started.

5. Prep your knife for being part of a fire bow. Drill a recessed hole into the handle to be your hand held piece and use a length of para-cord to wrap the handle, so you always have cord ready.

6. Good tinder: char cloth, dryer lint or cotton with vaseline, or jute twine

7. Save eye dropper bottles for bleach in your BOB. 1 drop per 500 ml or a pint, is needed to purify. Double if water cloudy.

8. Put a roll of toilet paper into a zip-loc baggie. Take the cardboard out and use it by pulling out of the center.

9. Using salt and borax with cotton string to make your own candle wicks
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=133202&highlight=candle+wick

10. Always have safety pins in the insides of sweaters, jackets and vests.

Be very interested in hearing your ideas...

·
Start up the rotors
7,663 Posts
Mine is not as exciting as many of yours (which are quite good BTW, thanks!).

1. Eat what you prep and prep what you eat.

Has served me well. Allows for a real rotation system, and also 'proofs' your stores as viable parts of a sustainable diet.

Tends to help you skip the processed, low nutrition, high cost per calorie stuff easier too. Though you have to splurge a little...

Reactions: survive

·
Silver Wings
11,356 Posts
"hey joe"

Get a gun. or two. or twenty. :thumb:

Reactions: WashingtonIrving

·
Registered
549 Posts
Not sure I understand your post.

You started by asking for the best pearl of wisdsom about prepping, but your list is all about bug out bags or items in them.

Therefore, I assume your post is about Pearls of Wisdom about BOB.

Thus, my answer isn't about prepping in general, but rather specifically about BOB.

I took a couple of hours to read through the 100 best posts (threads) about BOB. It is listed as a sticky above, or here is a link.

Quite good information - - and full of wisdom.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=173091

·
Registered
113 Posts
Condoms make good water containers, tampons are great for first-aid stabbing/shooting victims. I always take a folded cardboard box with me while camping, makes an excellent all round wind break while I'm cooking and then gives me something dry to sit on while I eat. I have my rain proof wear packed right at the top of my kit for quick access. If I'm off for a few days I tell people where I'm heading and when to start looking if I don't get in contact. Don't trust others while hiking, novice climbers/walkers create rock fall.

·
أنا واحد
6,631 Posts
Always purchase high quality Items/Military Items unless you want it to fail when you need it the most. Your knife should be of the highest quality. A radio is a very important tool and a must have as well as a quality compass and a real map of your area. In addition to the obvious gear. That's My .02

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure I understand your post.

You started by asking for the best pearl of wisdsom about prepping, but your list is all about bug out bags or items in them.

Therefore, I assume your post is about Pearls of Wisdom about BOB.

Thus, my answer isn't about prepping in general, but rather specifically about BOB.

I took a couple of hours to read through the 100 best posts (threads) about BOB. It is listed as a sticky above, or here is a link.

Quite good information - - and full of wisdom.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=173091
My post is not necessarily about the BOB. That is just one that I have refined. Be interested in hearing about prepping stuff too.

Thanks for the link!

Good food prep tip...
1. Make sure to rotate your stores, as you buy new stuff, store it and always use the oldest first. I know people that had to throw out tons of stuff because they didn't.

2. Use Calcium Hypochlorite to purify water
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=115642&highlight=calcium+hypochlorite

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
alwayse keep it simple.

if you think you need it you probbably dont.

knowledge is lighter than stuff.

alwayse keep you knife sharp and your gun oiled.

tactical isnt usualy practical.

friends come and go but enemies accumulate.

alwayse fear idiots in large numbers.

if it apears to be to easy its probbably a trap.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
A decent quality hotel/motel will give out a small sewing kit upon request. These little kits are just dandy to have in every BoB or glove box, just add a few safety pins.

State line welcome centers give out free maps.

Don't get skimpy with the dollars when buying shoes or boots.

Check your tire pressures (at least) twice a year (spring and fall). Don't forget the spare tire.

Put $20 cash each payday into your home's fireproof safe.

Get a quality gun safe AND a quality pistol safe (install for fast access).

Rotate the Ibuprophen and Immodium in your first aid kits.

Take care of your teeth. Your teeth do not heal by themselves over time like most parts.

Learn to use iron sights, and get off the bench when at the range. Bench rest shooting only tests the rifle, it does not develop practical shooting ability.

Always keep enough cash in your vehicle, GHB, or wallet to get home.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Fail to plan, plan to fail. Make an "actual written plan" for your survival and remember it is your plan and as you learn more it's OK to update your "actual written plan". Make a list of those items you will need and carry it on you at all times. Make an inventory of your equipment/supplies and where it is stored. Update frequently. Fail to plan, plan to fail so don't get caught spitting into the wind.

·
Cranky Old Guy
433 Posts
Strap on your BOB, and take a quick walk for about a mile. This exercise may enlighten you to your need to keep your BOB light in weight.

The best tool you can have is knowledge. It weighs nothing!

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,576 Posts
My tip is to test your gear. A bug out bag is nothing but a bag of false hope unless you have actually lived out of it a few times to see what you actually need and don't need. We had a thread here a year or so back from a member who was making his first test run. His test was ended short because of severe blisters. He also learned that he needed a solution to the biting insects he encountered. His second run was successful. Can you imagine if he hadn't made a test run and ended up being down with blisters during a real life bug out?

This applies to everything, not just bug out bags. Do a power out weekend every now and then. And a water out weekend. We regularly have threads where people's power or water went out unexpectedly. Invariably they discover important needs that they had overlooked in their preparations. Actually testing our preps is the only way to find those holes in our plan.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts