Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Sith Lord
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a male rabbit that until today has seemed real healthy, but I went out today and he was lying down and I saw that his umm well anus was swolen and inflamed. Does anyone know what this is? Is it a problem or will he be okay? should I worry?

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Have you checked his poop for worms?

·
veritas aequitas
2,253 Posts
Found this with a simple google search:

"A prolapse of the rectum can be caused by straining to defecate, and certain bunnies may also have a genetic predisposition to be more susceptible to this problem. If your bunny truly has a prolapsed rectum, and not just an anal polyp (which can easily be surgically removed), then he needs the attention of a good rabbit vet immediately, as the condition can be very serious."

"If he has a swollen anus and is drooling, he could be extremely sick, and this could be due to the heat. If you love your bunny, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE not only get him INSIDE, but also to a good rabbit vet who can evaluate his condition."

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
id say give him a good thump get some sauce and spend the $20 to get a new rabbit the $ you will spend at the vet will supersede the cost of a new rabbit

put it down and either bury or eat him

·
Sith Lord
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
id say give him a good thump get some sauce and spend the $20 to get a new rabbit the $ you will spend at the vet will supersede the cost of a new rabbit

put it down and either bury or eat him
if he gets any worse then I will put him outa his misery, but I hope he gets better becuse he is a really good buck.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
This condition has happened when a rabbit has been feed fresh greens in amounts they are not use to. Ask the kids if they have been feeding bunny green oak leaves. If they have, stop them.

·
Sith Lord
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This condition has happened when a rabbit has been feed fresh greens in amounts they are not use to. Ask the kids if they have been feeding bunny green oak leaves. If they have, stop them.
they get greens all the time but its been like that for along time, maybe it was because he didnt get that much during the winter and now he is. and no oak leaves just clover and plantain

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Maybe add a commercial rabbit feed to his diet?

A lady I work with, she fed her rabbits goat feed. Maybe the rabbit is not getting enough nutrients?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sounds to me like you have one of 3 possible problems.
1. Urine burn, he may not be cleaning himself properly any more. I've had this problem with several older bucks.
2. Prolapse, common in older bucks as well
3. Syphilis, common rabbit STD. Would have to have been exposed to it at some point. Do you allow people to bring other rabbits over for "conjugal" visits? If so he could have picked this up.

Without photos it would be hard to determine, unfortunately the outcome is pretty much the same. He's likely past his prime and since its easier and cheaper to cull him than it is to cure him....... Id find a new buck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts