Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Is that all?
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An M44 for $299?
Norinco SKS (not even clean?!) for $399?
91/30s for $250-350?
Enfields, .303, not rechambered for .308 for $299?
M48 mausers for $350?

I guess I don't see why the prices have shot up so much, especially on bolt action rifles. in 2002, you could buy a wasr for $400-500, they've only gone up to $500-$600. The SKS I bought in 2002 was $189, an unissued yugo. Is it demand? Or is the availability of mass shipments of these weapons drying up? I don't pay a ton of attention to the prices of ARs and nicer rifles, but it doesn't seem like they've gone through the roof nearly so much. This makes me glad that I picked up a very nicely maintained M38 last fall for the meager sum of $150 after some haggling with the pawn shop lady. I hate to show my ignorance, but this is still a little mystifying to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd say it's because everyone seems to be going to whatever they can get there hands on. Although ARs haven't really shot up all that much. Maybe the Government getting stricter as far as what can be brought in or how much. Just a few thoughts. Personally I'd stick with an AR reliable as hell and cheaper ammo.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
The reason they've gone up in price so much is because these are surplus weapons that aren't being made anymore and as the supplies have been pretty well all sold off people are willing to pay more for the few remaining ones. Simple case of supply and demand.

·
Is that all?
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm, well, I mean supply and demand makes sense. I guess I always assumed that there were still thousands and thousands of these old rifles out there waiting to be unearthed from some foreign warehouse and sold abroad, but I guess they probably have been selling better and better in the last few years.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Because someone is giving you inflated prices.

A quick check of a few dealers, I found M44's for $199, 91/30 for $75, Yugo SKS $269, M24/47 Mauser $180, WASR for $439.

The not clean Norinco SKS sounds like a private seller, so they may be one of those "what I have is worth a million dollars" types of people that I like to walk away from. If they're a local dealer, then I'd question doing business with them if they can't even manage to clean something.

Otherwise, the price may reflect condition or something unique about the weapon. Did you know there are Mosin Nagants that range into several thousand dollars because of what they are?

Just don't be a chump out there because there are people that will fake things and people that will take advantage of those that aren't educated.

P.S. - Yugo SKS's are a weird thing in my opinion, there were tons of them that came in at once at (I think it was...) $149, then they climbed and settled out at $199 until they pretty much sold out, then they went up and I haven't kept up, but it looks like they're coming back down. For a non-chrome lined barrel and a fussy gas system. I never got that. I never bought into it either though, so it's really no skin off my nose, though I would have liked to bought a few to play with, double my money and cash out of them. Looks like doubling on a Yugo SKS is getting harder to do.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It goes in waves. People see that the price is getting higher, so they assume the worst and everyone buys an AK or an SKS and a ton of ammo, which perpetuates a huge cycles.

1. Consumer See Prices Going up or there is talk of an "assault weapons ban"
2. Consumer panic buys Ak/Sks/7.62x39
3. Retailer jacks prices higher
4. Consumer really starts to believe that the supply is running out or Assault Weapons ban is real"
5. Retailer buys more supply at higher prices due to supply/demand
6. Panic buying levels off
7. Retailer has to dump supply
8. Prices go back down.

The key is not to panic buy, but that's neigh impossible to control. Do notice that gas prices drop around election time and gun prices sky rocket.

·
Registered
986 Posts
It goes in waves. People see that the price is getting higher, so they assume the worst and everyone buys an AK or an SKS and a ton of ammo, which perpetuates a huge cycles.

4. Consumer really starts to believe that the supply is running out or Assault Weapons ban is real"
8. Prices go back down.

The key is not to panic buy, but that's neigh impossible to control. Do notice that gas prices drop around election time and gun prices sky rocket.
He's right on that also. Another part of not being a chump is not panic buying. Like the Saiga 12 panic recently.

·
that's like, your opinion
17,825 Posts
i dunno about weapons, but i am phenominally angry that i cant find any surplus 7.62x25 tokarev anymore... luckily i have 2+ tins as backup, but its still very agrivating that it was the second cheapest caliber next to rimfires and now its nowhere to be found.

shotgun news did a series of articles on how to convert ARs to tok, TTc's and cz52s and yugo copies were in pretty good supply not long ago for pretty cheap, now who wants to buy them if they cant get cheap ammo for 'em...

·
that's like, your opinion
17,825 Posts
He's right on that also. Another part of not being a chump is not panic buying. Like the Saiga 12 panic recently.
i was so glad i got my saiga 12 over a year ago... i got it for like $600 which i thought was rediculously high at the time (i wanted more in the $450 range) now i have heard of people paying over 800 for them!!!!

·
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
6,767 Posts
century arms is having trouble finding surplus guns. most of the surplus is not the same quality that you were getting 3, 4 years ago.even the 91/30's are drying up

·
Is that all?
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

8. Prices go back down.

I agree wholeheartedly on that. I remember after the '08 election it was almost impossible to find .22, 9mm 45 556 308 etc for months. I guess I don't get why people would panic buy old surplus bolt action rifles. Well, I mean, I do, but I still don't get why people would assume that the govt would ban them. I also agree, gun shops can definitely be very prone to over inflating prices, especially if they are run by the gun store commando types. I can't halp but begin to dislike a store when I see them selling a 91/30 for $275, and the stores across town are selling them for $150...

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
while supplies are drying up on some of these weapons, this is mostly due to dealers still not being willing to come back down from the gun rush during and after the obama election. Once i guess you are able to charge a certain amount for something, dealers havent come back to earth unless price drops from their big local competitors forces their hand.

If you look around on the internet you will find $80-100 MN 91/30's, $200 M44s, $250-$300 SKS' and $375-450 AK's all day

Fortunately, I have a few good very reasonable dealers in my area, but there are a few stores still stuck on outrageous pricing.

·
Is that all?
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
while supplies are drying up on some of these weapons, this is mostly due to dealers still not being willing to come back down from the gun rush during and after the obama election. Once i guess you are able to charge a certain amount for something, dealers havent come back to earth unless price drops from their big local competitors forces their hand.

If you look around on the internet you will find $80-100 MN 91/30's, $200 M44s, $250-$300 SKS' and $375-450 AK's all day

Fortunately, I have a few good very reasonable dealers in my area, but there are a few stores still stuck on outrageous pricing.
Yeah, I know what you mean. We have 8 or 9 local gunstores, and I would say that I can only think of 1 that charges fairly reasonable prices, and only 1 of the others actually provides services support and advice that makes me think it would be worth it to pay the extra $$.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts