Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Waiting...Watching..
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its gonna be a long few months if Autumn is minus 17C in places with snow everywhere and no end in sight.

Sky is giving minus 20C with strong winds and heavier snow during the week and winter aint started yet. Snow showers usually get here in Feb once every 20 year to give a light dusting, now the place looks and feels like Greenland.

I'm sure any Canadians here would laugh at minus 17 and say its summer but I dont particularly fancy another four months of this!

Bring back the warm rain, all is forgiven

No end to Artic conditions
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...-expected-to-cover-almost-all-of-Britain.html

·
very very tired!
1,204 Posts
We've over 2ft since saturday, seem to spend all our time shovelling snow. Running out of places to put the bloody stuff :) Schools shut, local hospital cancelled all clinics, council sent workers home early, and shops didnt get any deliveries so no milk, veg or bread on the shelves. But we have plenty and a ton of coal :)

·
Bushcrafter
1,420 Posts
There was a very large amount of wild fruit this year, I think that the plants do this when the winter will be bad, to keep the creatures that distribute their seeds alive until next year, so a very cold winter did'nt really come as a surprise. How they know it will be bad is anyones' guess, maybe they can detect dust particles from volcanos or pick up other clues from the environment, that we hav'nt found out about yet. I hope it don't last four months, don't really want a massive gas bill coming through the door January/February......

·
V
21,713 Posts
There was a very large amount of wild fruit this year, I think that the plants do this when the winter will be bad, to keep the creatures that distribute their seeds alive until next year, so a very cold winter did'nt really come as a surprise.
I was reading something along similar lines the other day.......... nothing much surprises me these days...... I'm still learning though.

·
You looking at me!
4,027 Posts
Winters here in Canada always last at least 4 months and it blows!

The difference is winter here everybody and I mean everybody goes to work, nobody closes they just get on with it.
In the UK the whole country will stop, its just not geaerd up for a harsh winter anymore.

-17 celcius is cold wherever you are so I feel your pain!

last week it was -25 daytime highs and -40c at night........this week its -5c daytimes and -12c at night.

Oh and looking out the window its just started snowing again!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Am I right in saying sunspots can have an impact on our weather patterns?I've read somewhere that some have predicted a harsh winter because of how the sun behaves.
Also,as a child,I remember very cold weather in november,I recall near freezing to death as I watched a firework display one year.Perhaps the weather is just reverting back to how it used to be as I have always thought the weather patterns out of kilter at times.It seems to me it used to snow a lot more in november,december,possibly january when I was younger,but in recent years we seem to get the worse weather into the new year,febuary and even march.

·
very very tired!
1,204 Posts
I remember lots of winters like this away back in the 50s and 60s. I think this is how winter always used to be and we forgot. We reckon we had 4ft so far, still snowed in. We can see the main road open and cars going really slow, but we cant get onto it. We cant even walk down and get the bus either- cos the bloody buses been off for 3 days LOL!
No post since friday, everybody waiting for their Amazon xmas orders... only person who got in was the milkman who comes 3 times a week and has snow tyres whoohoo :)

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I remember lots of winters like this away back in the 50s and 60s. I think this is how winter always used to be and we forgot. We reckon we had 4ft so far, still snowed in. We can see the main road open and cars going really slow, but we cant get onto it. We cant even walk down and get the bus either- cos the bloody buses been off for 3 days LOL!
No post since friday, everybody waiting for their Amazon xmas orders... only person who got in was the milkman who comes 3 times a week and has snow tyres whoohoo :)
I hope your fully prepared diamond lil?No excuse for you running out of provisions:D:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Is the UK uniquely bad at coping with snow?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11897825

A couple of the comments that are so very true...

It isn't that the UK is unprepared, people are unprepared, the majority of people start their journeys at the same time of day whether it's snowing or sunny and then drive as fast as possible to whereever they are going. The majority of people have no idea how to drive in the snow, how many times have you seen someone stuck and them just getting frustrated and revving the engine.
The further south you get in the UK, the worse the people cope. In Scotland, it takes a lot of inches before there's any problems.
Living in London now I find it pathetic how little snow disrupts the place. A covering of grit has very little effect on a few inches of snow, but you never see any snowploughs on the roads. Of course that would require foresight, which no council seems capable of.
I don't think it's possible for any country to put salt on all the roads (there are a lot of country lanes around here that go unsalted), so people need to be prepared for themselves. It almost seems to me that people in the UK, until recently, had completely forgotten what harsh winters can be like. It's no good looking to the government for a solution if, for instance, there's a chance you could get snowed in - people need to be ready for it and prepared to deal with things when the bad weather comes. There are certainly things that can be learnt from Continental Europe, and closer to home in Scotland!

·
very very tired!
1,204 Posts
My friend in Dundee is Dutch, and says last week the the whole of Holland ground to a halt because of snow. Many people spent the night on the motorway in their cars. I said to her dont take this the wrong way but thats great LOL - at leas we're not alone !

·
Registered
735 Posts
Yeah , no offence about your " Winter" . I saw the news and England has less than a foot of snow, deal with it. Mind you I'm from Wisconsin. It used to be that we'd get a good foot or two of snow on the ground and I'd drive right thru it , in a Corrolla . Then I'd still have to go to work and all that stuff.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I was in Sheffield one winter for a week or so back in the mid-90s and remember how they shut the entire city down because so many people didn't have winter tires.

·
very very tired!
1,204 Posts
Well the probem with winter tyres is that we can have snow in the morning and then in the afternoon its gone...or snow on monday and gone by tues. If the snow did what it does in Alaska or Norway, and came then stayed ... of course we'd have winter tyres :)

·
Shield Up Sword Drawn
2,960 Posts
Well, this is what happens.

The sun shines through our atmosphere and hits the planet, heating the earth. The earth radiates the heat which naturally travels upward. Makes sense so far right?

Now, your exhale "Carbon Dioxide" is a green house gas. Your exhale rises into the atmosphere which reflects the heat back down to earth causing global warming.

Here is a helpful image:

See how in the second image the bears all drowned because of your exhale?

To the UN and our president, that is what is happening to our planet. They say you should be taxed to breath, well to exhale anyway. Think of the bears in the image above. Don't you feel guilty. Look, the bears have done their part to save he planet by drowning so they will no longer exhale carbon dioxide.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts