Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am i the only one that thinks these are dumb?
I see these deep-pocket clips constantly being used to market a knife like its a positive thing.
Having the knife deeper in your pocket only makes it slower or more difficult to deploy when split seconds really count.
If its about concealment, the pocket clip itself gives away the fact you have a knife. everybody knows the difference between the pocket clip of a pen and that of a knife.
If its because you are surrounded by easily intimidated people, maybe a more gentlemanly knife is called for the situation.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
I see these deep-pocket clips constantly being used to market a knife like its a positive thing.
Having the knife deeper in your pocket only makes it slower or more difficult to deploy when split seconds really count.
If its about concealment, the pocket clip itself gives away the fact you have a knife. everybody knows the difference between the pocket clip of a pen and that of a knife.
If its because you are surrounded by easily intimidated people, maybe a more gentlemanly knife is called for the situation.

Thoughts?
Just a thought, but maybe they are for knives carried for utility purposes and the deeper clip is to help keep them from being bumped out and lost.

·
Registered
14,867 Posts

Thoughts?
How many knife fights have you been in?

How many times have you had to deploy when split seconds really county?

Why would anyone care about the knife when they have a concealed firearm?

·
90/10 headed for 95/5
7,665 Posts
Just a thought, but maybe they are for knives carried for utility purposes and the deeper clip is to help keep them from being bumped out and lost.
^^ Agree completely.

Thoughts?
A pocket clip does not immediately scream "KNIFE!" A pocket clip could be one of a dozen or more items; I completely disagree that most people will automatically know that the clip is for a knife versus, say, a flashlight, money clip, etc., etc.,

Also, if you are carrying your knife as, primarily, a weapon, then as with any such device you should be training over and over and over on your deployment, which should negate any concerns over how deeply it rides in your pocket.

Personally, I want mine riding completely buried if possible. Less visible, and less protruding to get in the way, rub up against things.

Reactions: dan3 and Amra910

·
inconceivable
197 Posts
deep pocket clips let me carry a legal concealed edc blade snug in most pants. My knives ride deep and no one even notices i'm carrying.

·
Bad Moon Rising
8,896 Posts
I don't care how deep you clip your knife in your pocket when you're on foot or in a car, but when riding on a motorcycle you'd be well advised to use a belt pouch instead of any clip.

When you meet Mr. Asphalt at around 40 mph you commence to do gymnastics down the middle of the road for a ways, and when you stop flopping your $100+ knife is no longer clipped into your pocket. You never find it again, and fact that you have to go buy another knife adds insult to injury.

FWIW.

Don't ask me how I know this.

:D:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Had a shallow pocket Clip kershaw for work, one day of cleaning "the pit" must have bumped my leg on something and well.... Time to buy a new knife, now with a deep pocket clip... If you don't like the long clips plenty of people make something different

·
Blame Canada.
3,226 Posts
Comfort for me. I kneel and squat allot at work, and ware the high clip keeps the knife is uncomfortable. The low clip puts it in a spot that's out of the way of where my leg bends.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I don't care how deep you clip your knife in your pocket when you're on foot or in a car, but when riding on a motorcycle you'd be well advised to use a belt pouch instead of any clip.

When you meet Mr. Asphalt at around 40 mph you commence to do gymnastics down the middle of the road for a ways, and when you stop flopping your $100+ knife is no longer clipped into your pocket. You never find it again, and fact that you have to go buy another knife adds insult to injury.

FWIW.
:D:
One of My knifes has road rash on the clip from just such an event.

·
Registered
663 Posts

Thoughts?
Because the vast majority of the time you won't be pulling your knife for self defense. Infact I don't carry my knife for self defense at all unless things go horribly down hill. My rule of thumb is don't bring a knife to a gun fight. Period I know a lot of people will give me flak and say I need to stay in the gun forum to have opinions like that. But it's true, I use my knife to cut rope, boxes and other things. I climb ladders, am constantly bending over and walking a lot. Always brushing by things, I've lost several knives due to something somehow some way getting a hold of my clip and pulling it out of my pocket. Therefore I wanna carry my knife as low in my pocket as possible. So I don't have to spend another $50+ on another knife

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All are valid points. To each their own i guess.

how often do you bend a pocket clip and lose your knife snagging on things? Iv only done that once, wearing leather gloves trying to get something out of my pocket, and learned not to try that again.

For those who think i dont know what im talking about, i carry a knife as a tool that i use probably 20 times daily; not for defense, but when the occasion rises its nice to have that option. Iv been in two near dog maulings, in which one occasion pulling my knife caused the attacker to call his dog off that was intentionally sicked on me. All the jiu jitsu i know is useless against a dog. Times like those its nice to not have to deal with accidently fumbling even though youve practiced countless times. Its one thing to practice with a clear head and another thing when your panicked.

I can agree with the biker needing a belt pouch, as i have hit the concrete going 40+ and my knife took the brunt of the fall, ripping my pocket and the blade opened skidding along the ground next to me. I still carry it with roadrash on the clip and scale in pride. I race longboards and iv hit the concrete going 40-60 more times than i can count, and in jeans and a t shirt. My knife saved my hip from losing flesh ironically. I dont ride with a knife any more, but it makes me wonder if a belt pouch would have held up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts