Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently assembling a survival kit, and I need some food which takes up as little space as possible and has the most calories possible.

It doesn't matter much if it doesn't taste well - what matters is its calorie density - something which would allow one to survive for a rather long time, and something which is very easily transported.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,047 Posts
Mainstay ration bars. They taste like a dense yellow cake. If you want hot food, try different flavors of Mountain House freeze dried foods. REI and Academy carry Mountian house in individual pouches. Of cours you have to add boiling water, but its good stuff.

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
Olive oil. I think it has the most calories per ounce of any food. It can be drunk straight, (the Roman army used to do this on long marches) or added to just about any food. It can also be used for hygiene, lubricating your gun or other machinery, and can even be used as lamp oil. It's very versatile.

After that, I'd say MREs and various nutrition/sports bars.

Az

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Ration bars are the most calorie dense foods I know of.

I disagree about taste though. If you won't eat it it doesn't matter how dense the food is. And taste is very subjective. There are several good brands of ration bars but many folks like one but not another.

Living off of them for more then a couple days is pushing it. That's why the military has spent a fortune investigating MRE's and making over two dozen different meals.

Reactions: goose3

·
Registered
21,678 Posts
Olive oil. I think it has the most calories per ounce of any food. It can be drunk straight, (the Roman army used to do this on long marches)
I've read that too. Not sure that would be something I'd like to do :eek:

Reactions: usmc0341

·
Perception is NOT reality
671 Posts
Mainstay ration bars. They taste like a dense yellow cake. If you want hot food, try different flavors of Mountain House freeze dried foods. REI and Academy carry Mountian house in individual pouches. Of cours you have to add boiling water, but its good stuff.
Mainstay and most other such ration bars are mostly sugar. That may be good for quick energy but will leave you hungry again pretty quickly. If you want longer term energy, that isn't going to leave you hungry again in a couple of hours, you need something with fat as the calories. Pemmican is a good choice. Cans or the foil pouches of salmon are also a good choice.

·
Idiot Savant x Infinity
892 Posts
I'm currently assembling a survival kit, and I need some food which takes up as little space as possible and has the most calories possible.

It doesn't matter much if it doesn't taste well - what matters is its calorie density - something which would allow one to survive for a rather long time, and something which is very easily transported.
The most compact survival food that can be eaten quickly with zero prep water or heat? 64oz plastic jar of Skippy "Creamy" Peanut Butter.

4 pounds at 10,640 calories

392 Grams of Protein
392 Grams of Carbs
896 Grams of Fat
8400 mgs of sodium

3-4 days worth food

I would also add about 1,000 grams of carbs per jar if you're exerting high energy levels all day to avoid hitting ketosis.

You can also make very energy dense bars by mixing wheat germ, honey and peanut butter together.

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,607 Posts
no doubt about it: mainstay rats http://survivorind.com/3600.html

1 brick has 3600 calories, foil wrapped, etc...

not sure about the sugar issue, but it is loaded with nutrition....

5 year Shelf Life
Non-Thirst Provoking
Withstands Temperatures of -40° F to 300°F (-40°C to 149°C)
Ready to Eat: Each package contains 9 pre-measured 400 calorie meals.
Individualized Portions eliminate the messy breaking-up that occurs with other bars
Allows for on-land emergency consumption in a high-stress active situation.
Contains no cholesterol or tropical oils.
Enriched with vitamins and minerals exceeding the RDA requirements.
Pleasant lemon flavor which appeals to everyone.

i keep three of em in my GHB...

Attachments

·
Idiot Savant x Infinity
892 Posts
My 2 cents: Why try to reinvent the wheel or limit to just one food source? MRE's.
MRE's have about 1250 calories. The average american eats 3,500 calories per day so you'll need 2-3 a day. $20-$36 a day adds up quickly. Peanut butter is under $3 a day. Sure we could even add gourmet food at that price but the OP wanted the most energy dense food regardless if it tastes great.

·
...all out of bubble gum
871 Posts
Oils and fats are roughly 28% more calorie dense(@ 9 calories per gram) than prot. Carb, Sugars (@ 7 calories per gram).

Nuts/seeds
P-butter
Olive/veg oil
Tuna
Coconut and its oil (in moderation)

All good examples of HDL fat rich foods. However, man cannot live on fats alone.

Here is my fav video for protein bars (with the exception that I used powdered milk instead of liquid milk to increase shelf-life)

·
Idiot Savant x Infinity
892 Posts
Oils and fats are roughly 30% more calorie dense(@ 9 calories per gram) than prot. Carb, Sugars (@ 7 calories per gram).
???

Quote:

"Protein : 3.2 calories per gram after subtracting the calories required for metabolism and storage, protein contains 3.2 calories per gram, not 4 calories as we have always been told.

Fat : 8.7 calories per gram

Carbohydrates : 3.8 calories per gram

Alcohol : 6.3 calories per gram

Fermentable fiber : 1.9 calories per gram"

http://fatnews.com/index.php?/weblog/comments/2220/

·
Registered
21,678 Posts
no doubt about it: mainstay rats http://survivorind.com/3600.html

1 brick has 3600 calories, foil wrapped, etc...

not sure about the sugar issue, but it is loaded with nutrition....

5 year Shelf Life
Non-Thirst Provoking
Withstands Temperatures of -40° F to 300°F (-40°C to 149°C)
Ready to Eat: Each package contains 9 pre-measured 400 calorie meals.
Individualized Portions eliminate the messy breaking-up that occurs with other bars
Allows for on-land emergency consumption in a high-stress active situation.
Contains no cholesterol or tropical oils.
Enriched with vitamins and minerals exceeding the RDA requirements.
Pleasant lemon flavor which appeals to everyone.

i keep three of em in my GHB...
I've got one, I've been thinking about trying it out to see how it tastes....

·
Idiot Savant x Infinity
892 Posts
Mainstay, Mayday, or Datrex rations. But test them by eating them for a week first to make sure they don't cause digestive upset and/or the runs. They do, with some people...
These would be a good choice as they are in most life rafts USCG/SOLAS/BV approved but they taste like a mix of crisco, flour and coconut. They are very energy dense.

They cost about $5-6 a day at 3600 calories and have a 5 year shelf life.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts