Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have been rewarding all my hard work lately by taking in an occasional movie.

I have of course been buying Pop corn as it is my tradition. Something strange has been happening.

When I see a movie and eat thier Pop corn, later that night or the next morning I wake with sharp, intense abdominal pain. It is so severe that i find my self scrunching up into fetal position as it passes.

This will continue on at intervals with maybe 5 or 10 minutes in between for 4 or 5 times.

Finally I get up and go to the bathroom and pass it through. I feel fine after, but my whole bathroom smells like bad movie theater popcorn for hours (and still does right now from last night even with the fan on.

Now, I love pop corn, and have allways made it for home movie nites when I had my own place. I can eat large amounts of my popcorn every nite, and nothing bad ever happenes.

I generally do it the old fashioned way where I use oil and pop the kernels by hand in a large pot on the stove top. I also melt my own butter and top it with.

In the last 6 or 8 weeks, I have seen 3 movies at the theater. Each was at a different theater, but the pop corn all tastes the same, and all has that same effect on me.

I used to work for M&R(now M&R Lowes) as a kid, and my then Girlfreind (later wife, now ex wife) worked the candy counter. She would bring home huge bags (Think yard bag size, only food grade) of pop corn from work, and we would all gorge ourselves on it at parties and such. This never happened then either.

Does anyone know what is going on here?

·
high on truck stop coffee
15,961 Posts
it's popped in coconut oil,super highly saturated...& the worst saturated fat in the world,besides that it's probly a few months old.Not only is it overpriced by about 1500%,it's very bad for the digestion,I gave up movie popcprn about 10 years ago...

solution.?smuggle in a bag of regular $2/bag corn from 7-11 or somethin. :D:

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That can't be it, it's ALLWAYS been popped in coconut oil. This never happened before. Only in recent years.

Pop corn should only be popped in pure Corn Oil as far as I am concerned. Any other oil messes up the flavor.

·
Christian
39,501 Posts
all the more reason to sneek in your own muchies, and cheaper too. You have an old BOB in your closet? No, the small blue one on the floor in the corner, yes that one, fill it with goodies and just buy a small drink at the counter, refill it with whatever beverage you bring with you.

Or go to the drive-in, yes they still exist, and stop and load up with stuff, great family night out.

·
Sam Adams was right....
9,250 Posts
That can't be it, it's ALLWAYS been popped in coconut oil. This never happened before. Only in recent years.

Pop corn should only be popped in pure Corn Oil as far as I am concerned. Any other oil messes up the flavor.
Whats changed in your movie going?

Are you going to a different theater?
Has the theater changed oil manufacturers?

You prolly need to interrogate one of the theater peeps.

·
Christian
39,501 Posts
Whats changed in your movie going?

Are you going to a different theater?
Has the theater changed oil manufacturers?

You prolly need to interrogate one of the theater peeps.
be careful water boarding the ticket guy might just be illegal now? just sayin.... :D:

Reactions: letsgetreal

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I think what they add to it is what's unhealthy. The flavorings and stuff are entirely chemicals. By the way, pure extra virgin coconut oil is among the healthiest of all oils. It can't be that unless they've added to that as well.

·
Banned
9,119 Posts
golden topping is scary stuff.
i heard on cbc yesterday that a large 'buttered' popcorn can have up to 170 grams of fat.
that's like munching 1/3 pound of margarine. (except the fats they use are uglier than that.)
that's about 1200 calories of really nasty fats.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Yes, the fake "butter" they pour all over the popcorn.

So, I have been rewarding all my hard work lately by taking in an occasional movie.

I have of course been buying Pop corn as it is my tradition. Something strange has been happening.

When I see a movie and eat thier Pop corn, later that night or the next morning I wake with sharp, intense abdominal pain. It is so severe that i find my self scrunching up into fetal position as it passes.

This will continue on at intervals with maybe 5 or 10 minutes in between for 4 or 5 times.

Finally I get up and go to the bathroom and pass it through. I feel fine after, but my whole bathroom smells like bad movie theater popcorn for hours (and still does right now from last night even with the fan on.

Now, I love pop corn, and have allways made it for home movie nites when I had my own place. I can eat large amounts of my popcorn every nite, and nothing bad ever happenes.

I generally do it the old fashioned way where I use oil and pop the kernels by hand in a large pot on the stove top. I also melt my own butter and top it with.

In the last 6 or 8 weeks, I have seen 3 movies at the theater. Each was at a different theater, but the pop corn all tastes the same, and all has that same effect on me.

I used to work for M&R(now M&R Lowes) as a kid, and my then Girlfreind (later wife, now ex wife) worked the candy counter. She would bring home huge bags (Think yard bag size, only food grade) of pop corn from work, and we would all gorge ourselves on it at parties and such. This never happened then either.

Does anyone know what is going on here?

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
there was just a report out about the calories in movie theater pop-corn. a small was like 800 and it went up a lot from there.

·
Registered
154 Posts
This happened to me also last time we went to the show... the popcorn made me vomit and I will never forget the taste and haven't been able to eat any popcorn since. Like you, I never had a problem with it before.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts