Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use a Thermarest ProLite4 for sleeping on. So I bought the Thermalite Trekker for using the ProLite as a chair, check it out:

http://www.rockcreek.com/products/listing/item7659.asp?ref=RCO_googlebase

This is very light. Double uses my sleeping pad. The fur pad would be heavy (especially when wet) and difficult to dry. Just my .02
Thats great, think i will go for something like thermalite that does not take such amount of space or just use my sleeping pad...dont want to bring s much dilldall =) But nice to impress girls with a nice fur though.

In winter we use a sleeping pad against the ground/snow and fur om top...have to be reindeer fur!

·
Feuer Frei!
1,811 Posts
Some good product was listed. I personally use a therm-a-rest, good product. I have also heard really good things about the Exped mats. In the winter specifically, a good mat even a standard foam one is necessary. The cold ground will suck all the warmth out of your body quick.

Also most of you guys probably know this, but for those who don’t, sticking your mat inside of your sleeping bag is a good way to keep you on it all night., sometimes there a little slippery.

·
"Always Be Prepared"
250 Posts
++1 on the Therma rest and the Trekker chair.
My Therma rest is not slippery, but if your pad is slippery, you can put small pieces of adhesive tape scattered all over it which eliminates any slipperiness.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also you could put some pine or other trees at the lokation where you is sleeping and a cold pit always helps get the chills away. And again, thermal rest with reindeer skinn on the top of it is nice and warm :sleep:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is a nice piece of Reindeer.

I`d love to make some stuff from Polar Bear fur, just to see how warm it was.
Yeah why not!!!

Actualy, the Reindeers vinter skinn/fur is one of the best isolating of all animals, that is because it has holow hairs that contains air and the hairs grows werry tightly together :thumb:

Let me know of the result from the Polar Bear fur, and where are you gona get it from?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is a nice piece of Reindeer.

I`d love to make some stuff from Polar Bear fur, just to see how warm it was.
Nice, where are you gona get the fur from?

If you didnt know, Reindeers vinter fur has holow hairs whit air and are tightly plased together, that makes it onel of the baet isolating animan furs of them all. :thumb:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I`ve used deerhair to make fishing flies before and they float because of the hollow fibres, never occurred to me it would add to the insulation - good tip !!

The Polar Bear fur is just a dream that I`ll probably never be able to realise - too many eco-nutters hating anyone wearing any kind of fur...
Maybe one day I`ll take a trip over to Greenland or Canada and manage to get one, I`m sure that there will be a few shot each year for endangering settlements? - over 1 tonne of Left-Handed Killing Machine !!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts