Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Those of us who served under a funny green hat in Vietnam were given a knife. It is one of the best knives I have ever had. I am thinking of getting me one for a daily use. When it comes to knives I go with Randall.
The Model 1 "All-Purpose Fighting Knife" is very simular to what we were given.
http://www.randallknives.com/index.php

·
Got any beer money?
371 Posts
I collect knives as a hobby (I have somewhere around 100, don't keep track).

I first decide what knife I want, then scan the internet for the best price. Different dealers give different deals on different knives (that's a lot of difference, ha?). So no one dealer is the best, it all depends.

After you find a dealer, make sure you check out their reputation first.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
The reputation of the knife and the maker is important to me.

Reactions: Yorkshire Boy

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Depends on what you need it for, aplications etc.The prices you want to pay.

·
Prophet
1,270 Posts
figure out what you want first. example: Gerber LMF II
I went online and read A LOT of reviews on it.
then call all your local dealers first for prices/availability. i like to hold a knife in my hand before i buy it. ;)
for me, i couldn't find an LMF II locally.
i then shopped around online, by price, closest retailer. i preferred a canada store cause i wanted to avoid customs and excessive shipping charges.

I eventually found a store in BC with a good price and reluctantly ordered it.
i was reluctant cause, like i said ealier, i like to hold it, before i buy it.
anyways, my gerber lmf II turned out to be a great knife, and im very happy with it. :)

peace
al

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
i have been looking all over the internet for the best places to buy knives from and there are so many to pick from. what is the best place to buy a knife online? these two places seem to have a good price range.

http://www.directknifesales.com :thumb:

http://www.wholesaleselfdefense.com :thumb:
i looked at a few of the knives on those sights and YES they have really good prices on their knives, to good. i just got 1 problem with the ones i looked at and i dont know if all the discriptions of the knives are like this but all the ones i looked at was, they didnt tell me what kind of steel quality the blades where, to me that is EXTREMLY important. they may have that info on the rest of the knives ,but the ones i looked at didnt and that automaticly turned me off. they arnt telling enough about the knives so red flags go off

thanx scosm for the link to gpknives.com they got good quality knives that are cheaper than most of the ones ive been looking at :thumb:

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
My first choice—BUY LOCAL! This way you can actually handle the knife, the sheath, how the blade opens and locks and unlocks, its balance and “feel” to the hand and more importantly, you’re helping to preserve your local businesses. Sure on the “Net” you might get it cheaper but the shipping costs are sometimes greater then the local state tax. Of course that’s if the price is within close proximity to each other—if the “Net” blade is$60 or $70 cheaper then it makes sense to buy from them but give your local merchant the chance to bid on it—I know he’d rather make a little money on the transaction then have stock sitting on the shelf costing him money.

Custom knives and prized commercial collectables are a different matter. For custom if not from the maker then a dealer who has the model you desire and with collectables then who ever has the best price. Example, Randall Made Knives has a greater then four year waiting list for knives from them but if you’re not minding a “basic” knife then companies like A.G. Russell always have some on hand. I can get a stag handled, Model 1, 7” blade now if I so choose—EDIT, sorry, now a 5 to 6 month delivery date but still better then 4+ years. I know that there is at least a dozen more companies that all have standing orders with Randall and other custom shops and they’ll get the first few of that production run and the balance will go to fill the maker's back orders…

1 - 17 of 17 Posts