Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Spooky, must have been posting same time as you were. I use a swedish firesteel which is brilliant but am putting together a small survival tin and was wondering about using a spark lite lighter to save on space/weight.
I like the firesteels best but one advantage of the AMK Spark Lite is that you can use it with one hand.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Firesteel, for me to.

Although I am interested by the fire piston, but the gasket wearing out sort of makes me have the opinion that it is not long lasting.

I also use a little lantern sparker that runs off of flints that you can salvage out of old disposable lighters. I love that little thing. SurvivalHelper turned me on to it. Very small and will light MANY fires.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I use all of them but I prefer flint n steel pistons are awesome I have both the string gasket type and the o ring type both r maintenence free basically juss lil wax around the rod and they seem to work flawlessly I have yet to replace the o ring, replaced the string once . I do not care for sparklights they seem to small for my hands and difficult for me I would recomend a light my fire or blank firesteel either will do the job quite nicely

·
Banned
651 Posts
Blastmatch, absolutely. The old packaging said, "Do not use this on anything you don't want to burn." That's pretty accurate. If it's combustible and you have one hand you'll be warm. I like the Swedish firesteel but when you're wet and hungry it just is awkward. I'm on my third one not because they wear out, people beg me to sell it to them. Everestgear.com has them, and they are a great place to do business with. I should look for that earlier posting RE: what is the most important thing to have?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.