Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a stone/ceramic sharpening set-up that really works well? I looking for something that will sharpen keeping the proper angle etc.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I’d first ask you to look up in the sticky section above for a thread called “Knife Sharpeners” and I’d also ask you to run a search using the same wording.

The two words best and easiest are not synonymous!

The best is the Razor’s Edge and the easiest is the Lansky type of guide rods….The hardest to learn is hand held on a straight stone but I think gives the best edge and the most satisfaction…The lightest to carry are the ceramic sticks.

This does not take into account electric driven motor models which are a little hard to take with you camping or to the hunting shack unless you have a generator and/or upgraded your electrical.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Is there a stone/ceramic sharpening set-up that really works well? I looking for something that will sharpen keeping the proper angle etc.
three stones that rotate in an oil bath. http://www.twinsupply.com/dextercutlery/proddetail.asp?prod=07946 my dad taught me how to use it at his butcher shop when i was a kid. you can make your blades razor sharp in no time. you just have to learn to keep the proper angle. get an extra set of stones and it will last you a lifetime.

·
Tu ne cede malis.
307 Posts
In the field, a Fallkniven DC3 works well for me. Diamond stone on one side, ceramic on the other. No water or oil required. In addition, it is only 3 inches long and comes with a nice leather sheath. At home, I have a set of Japanese wet stones that a friend picked up for me while in Japan. I use the wet stones in combination with a leather strop and a F. Di ck multicut for maintaining the blades. I also have a Lansky puck for the odd-shaped blades such as axes and kukris.

If you have the time and commitment, I believe a classic wet stone will give you the best results.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I use to use oil stones, getting lazy in my old age, now I just use steels, I have a course one and a super fine one. I can't shave with my knife, but you sure don't want to see if they will cut you, and it only takes a few strokes to keep it sharp.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Knife sharpening is really more difficult than most people might think. It requires technique and patience that most people don't have. I have worked in many kitchens and have sharpened many knives. I have decided to go the route of an electric sharpener that I love. It gets the angles right, diamond abrasives, 3 staged, sharpens serrated edges, and has 15 degree and 20 degree angles. Old school is awesome if you have the technique and time, but I love the time I'm saved.

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
In the field, a Fallkniven DC3 works well for me. Diamond stone on one side, ceramic on the other. No water or oil required. In addition, it is only 3 inches long and comes with a nice leather sheath. At home, I have a set of Japanese wet stones that a friend picked up for me while in Japan. I use the wet stones in combination with a leather strop and a F. Di ck multicut for maintaining the blades. I also have a Lansky puck for the odd-shaped blades such as axes and kukris.

If you have the time and commitment, I believe a classic wet stone will give you the best results.
I picked up a Smith's Pocket Pal ($8.). It seems like the simplest sharpener for me
to use initially until I've learned more about how to properly sharpen knives.

I am looking for a sharpening stone to carry in the field in my sheath that'll
be with my knife at all times and something for my machete & hatchet.
I'll look into your particular combination DMEsq.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Somebody (I forget who right now) had a video of how he sharpened knives and was using part of an old drill press (I believe) in the sharpening process. If I had time, I'd search it out, but it was by far the best device IMO ever for sharpening most any knife.

Edit: I found it. Posted by knifemaker Dan308. Go to www.dtknives.com and click on "sharpening" and watch the short video. I wish I had one!!

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
I use to use oil stones, getting lazy in my old age, now I just use steels, I have a course one and a super fine one. I can't shave with my knife, but you sure don't want to see if they will cut you, and it only takes a few strokes to keep it sharp.
That's exactly what I thought last night when I sharpened my $8. Harbor Freight Gordon Knife!
"It'll slice through anybody, clothes and all? Good enough!" For 8 bucks, it's just a defense weapon.
I actually have it sharp enough to slice paper cleanly. I've seen it being used to baton with
(though I'd never use it for that). I've seen it being used for chopping. But really, it's like a shotgun.
Just the sight of it will hopefully be enough to make someone think twice about engaging me and
it's something I can stick into a beast that attacks me if I can't get away.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sharpening made easy

Hi all,

When I set up my new Unit I bought in '07, I got a set of Shun knives for my kitchen. So I did a stack of research on how to sharpen knives. Like so many things you look further into, it really just turns into Pandora's Box.

The best site that I came across is this one, and it has some really good information in it.

http://sharpeningmadeeasy.com/index.htm

Really there is nothing else I can add on this as the link says it all, and more.

Everyone needs an Awesome list - and this Site definitley makes it on the Awesome list for me : ))

Enjoy

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Been using Smith's PP1 Pocket Pal, it's not the best sharpening system but I prefer to its mini size and multifunctional sharpening stone.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts