Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
17,233 Posts
I recently renewed my concealed carry license in the state of Utah. I was considering getting new concealed carry handguns for my fiancée and myself. I personally have a Sig p365, but I'm open to hearing about what suggestions you all may have.
I'm a few hours east of you. Sig P365 as well. But I also bought an XL housing and some mags for those days when I head down the mountain to the land of chewable air on the Front.;)

I often carry a pocket .380, mine is a Taurus TCP, but the Ruger LCP might be a good version of that type. When I carry the Sig, it can be a BUG.

I have a CZ 75D compact. It was the choice before the Sig. A little heavier, but holy cow do CZ's fit my hands well.
The CZ 82 was also one of my go-to guns a few years back.

I keep thinking I should look at a more modern CZ, but haven't got around to it. P-01 Omega is one I keep thinking about, or maybe a P-07.

When I got my SIg, the Shield Plus was a strong contender, great trigger, but it didn't point well for me. Maybe look at that?

Some like the Hellcat, but I didn't like the feel, nor the trigger.

And of course, there's the G19 or the clones like the PSA Dagger.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Near impossible question to answer.

On face value basically any major commercial manufacturer made handgun/pistol could be the "best". A lot depends on your personal carry methods, hand size, grip strength, ability to mechanically operate each function, desired features etc. Really the only way to get your answer is to visit a range that offers a wide variety of rental guns available. Try as many as you can while keeping track of what you like and don't like about them.

Enjoy

1,579 Posts
There is no “Best.” Only “Best For You.”

I have multiple handguns, each for a particular circumstance. My Beretta works better in some situations Than my J-frame 38 special.

As has been said, the one you have with you is going to be better than the one you don’t.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Glock 19, with a laser and red dot optic. If you are going to carry, carry enough gun. And carry one that has been proven through countless thousands of gunfights. That's Colt 1911's, Glock and maybe a couple of six guns.

The new Sig 365 also seems to be a good gun. I am not very familiar with them. I've heard of some growing pains. And the 320 is good enough for the military, so I'd say if it works for you and you can operate it fast and accurately, use it.

I carried a 1911 for a long time. Then carried a variety for awhile, switching guns to the "mission." Now 95% of my carry is my Glock. Once in a blue moon I carry a 1911, or a .44 mag (in grizzly country). Or a pocket pistol like an LC9, or LCP.

Oh, I forgot the Baretta 92, and a few others, please don't hate me. :D

Remember, "any gun will do it you will do." ;)

·
Registered
8,361 Posts
Glock 19, with a laser and red dot optic. If you are going to carry, carry enough gun. And carry one that has been proven through countless thousands of gunfights. That's Colt 1911's, Glock and maybe a couple of six guns.

The new Sig 365 also seems to be a good gun. I am not very familiar with them. I've heard of some growing pains. And the 320 is good enough for the military, so I'd say if it works for you and you can operate it fast and accurately, use it.

I carried a 1911 for a long time. Then carried a variety for awhile, switching guns to the "mission." Now 95% of my carry is my Glock. Once in a blue moon I carry a 1911, or a .44 mag (in grizzly country). Or a pocket pistol like an LC9, or LCP.
Good choice but I like the green lasers as you can see and follow them much easier than the red ones.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Everybody has their favorite. You can talk to 20 people and get 20 different suggestions. Hopefully you have a range that rents guns so you can try a few different ones out. Shoot a few different calibers as well. Ergonomics would be the first consideration. If you can't stand how it feels in your hand you're not going to be enthused about carrying and shooting it. If you can't find a good range with rentals, gun shows are a great place to see a and hold a lot of different guns in one setting. Also, your local gun shops hopefully have a decent selection to choose from.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have a Taurus G2 9mm that I carry IWB in the summer. Come winter, I switch between a Taurus 24/7 full size 9mm again IWB or if it gets really cold, my Colt 1991A1 .45ACP in a Galco shoulder rig with a 2 mag belt attached carrier. None of which I am sure would qualify under your stated requirements, but it is what works for me.

You and your fiancée need to visit a good gun store and handle several options to determine what is going to work for you.

·
Happy to be here!
5,982 Posts
I tried a micro 9, but went back to my Smith & Wesson bodyguard .380. I found myself leaving the 9mm at home because carrying it was an inconvenience. For me it's all about the size/ carryability, how well the Smith & Wesson feels in my hand and how well I shoot it. Smith & Wesson did a good job of checking those boxes. Like some other people said, everybody is different.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts