Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to increase my arsenal of OTC meds to treat the symptoms of the c-virus should I need them.

I'm looking for things that are (currently) readily available at my drugstore or big box store.

On hand I currently have Mucinex, Vicks, Robitussin, Tylenol, Motrin. What other OTC meds would you stock?

We generally are healthy and don't take a lot of meds, so this is kind of uncharted territory...

·
Indefatigable
20,127 Posts
Plain old aspirin. Nothing brings down a fever faster.
Sudafed - nothing works on sinus and respiratory congestion like the real deal.
Electrolyte replacements and liquid meal replacements/supplements.

If you have access to a nebulizer and drugs for it, that would be a great help. The most severe symptoms are shortness of breath.
We have a nebulizer and just this morning I convinced my Dr to give me an extra 30 day supply (120 doses) of Albuterol inhalation solution. I bought extra dispensing kits (tubing, face mask and medication cups) so if needed everyone in the family could have their own.
If you can get your hands on Albuterol emergency inhalers like ProAir - that would be a big plus too.
If you use a nebulizer or inhaler for more than one person be sure to disinfect it properly before the next use.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have a nebulizer that my son used frequently as a toddler. He got croup, without fail, every winter. He hasn't needed Albuterol in several years, but I may contact his doc and just ask. Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Just got a delivery of robotussin and immodium. Advil and sudafed on hand all the time, nebulizer and albuterol as my one son is slightly asthmatic but only with a bad cold. Nitrile gloves delivered today and stocking up on sports drinks in the event of dehydration (delivered tomorrow).

On another positive note, went to Harbor Freight today for some ammo boxes they had on sale and was able to get about a dozen N95 masks for 1.99 a piece. Cleaned them out :)

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
I swear by Delsym.

Reactions: ready0

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
I don't believe in covering up symptoms, especially not fever. It's a way your body fights the virus. I get better from a flu or cold much faster if I don't use anything. Fever burns up virus. I get plenty of rest, drink some alcohol, drink lots of tea and stay warm

Plus allergic to Tylenol, and Advil upsets my stomach

I do take some Airborne vitamins anytime I fly or go to the doctor or start feeling sick, those work too

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't believe in covering up symptoms, especially not fever. It's a way your body fights the virus. I get better from a flu or cold much faster if I don't use anything. Fever burns up virus. I get plenty of rest, drink some alcohol, drink lots of tea and stay warm

Plus allergic to Tylenol, and Advil upsets my stomach

I do take some Airborne vitamins anytime I fly or go to the doctor or start feeling sick, those work too

Fever doesn’t burn out a virus. Fever is a result of your hypothalamus being overstimulated and your metabolism running fast. Too high of a fever can cause a seizure which causes its own problems like hypoxia. Which can lead to death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I have been using advil cold and sinus, some type of Nyquil sleep aid. If you can't sleep your just not going to get better.

A few years ago I got Mono..talk about butt kicker. Go through 5 days of not being able to do anything but lay on the couch..then talk about not taking meds. Fyi it took 3 dif doctors and 10 days for them to actually diagnose it as a viral infection and that's why the antibiotics didn't do anything.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,960 Posts
I have a fair amount of expectorants and OTC pain relievers.

I have stopped using my nasal steroid spray as it impairs immunity.

If I can find one today at Walmart I will get a bottle of Nyquil in case my husband gets sick.

Reactions: Pol

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know it's not actually flu related, but here the med cabinet over my sink: BioFreeze, Burt Bee's lip balm, generic allergy pills, DayQuil/NightQuil generic pack, Sudafed, Immodium, PeptoBismal chewable generic, Melatonin for sleep aid, large bottle of ibuprofen, hydrocortisone cream, triple antibiotic cream, bandaids, Vitamin E, multi-vitamin gummies, Abreva for cold sores.
Under the sink: alcohol, witch hazel, hydrogen peroxide, epsom salts, Monistat (I have daughters).

·
I have control issues
5,988 Posts
In addition to the "usual" stuff - aspirin, Tylenol, Pepto, AlkaSeltzer Plus day/night, etc. However, I ALSO keep elderberry syrup as a preventative. Since I'm allergic to the flu vaccine--anaphylaxis is an experience I do NOT want to repeat, plus after getting the vaccine, I came down with the flu for the ONLY time in my life (they were experimenting with the live virus vaccine, and using the military as guinea pigs, as usual.) I use the elderberry syrup to boost my immune system. So far, I haven't gotten it, even when my husband came down with it 2 years ago.

·
Don't fear the Reaper
1,505 Posts
Ibuprofen (LOTS), tylenol, aspirin, OTC cough syrup (dextromethorphan only), and Rx cough syrup with codeine, benadryl, liquid benadryl with alcohol, potassium tablets, calcium/magnesium tablets, immodium and kaopectate, tums, generic zantac, saline nasal spray, antihistamine eye drops, Vit.C, and some physicians samples of various antibiotics (in the case of influenza for secondary respiratory infections). Migraine meds too.

Probably a bunch of other stuff, a lot of it samples.

·
Pusher of brooms
540 Posts
Well we have less than we did, having come down with a head/chest cold.

Definitely need to restock the mucinex.

·
Live Free or Die
3,863 Posts
I'm trying to increase my arsenal of OTC meds to treat the symptoms of the c-virus should I need them.

I'm looking for things that are (currently) readily available at my drugstore or big box store.

On hand I currently have Mucinex, Vicks, Robitussin, Tylenol, Motrin. What other OTC meds would you stock?

We generally are healthy and don't take a lot of meds, so this is kind of uncharted territory...

Good for what ails you :thumb:

·
Registered
31 Posts
For the flu, or any illness with fever and chest congestion (COVID, etc).. Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Theraflu, BronkAid, Mucinex, Sudafed, Elderberry Syrup (DIY), Tea, Honey and 2 fifths of Maker's Mark

Ric

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Fever doesn’t burn out a virus. Fever is a result of your hypothalamus being overstimulated and your metabolism running fast. Too high of a fever can cause a seizure which causes its own problems like hypoxia. Which can lead to death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
...not trying to argue here, but fever is a helpful thing the body does; speeds up metabolism, yes, affects the temperature "setting" in the central nervous system, yes, and occasionally in very small children and other susceptibles can cause a seizure - so-called febrile convulsions, yes.

But a tachycardia (faster heart rate) as a result of pyrogens (things that raise your temperature, often released by dead microbes your body killed) increases blood flow to the organs that help fight infections, and in that increased blood flow very specific anti-viral posse members spring into action and head on out.

For example, take Marshal Interleukin-1 - a senior District Pyrogen. The Marshal gets roused from his bunk when Deputy Macrophage (one of the White Hat Blood Cells) is ambushed by certain Black Hat bacteria and viruses from the Toxic Pathogen Gang. Marshal I-1 declares martial law and rounds up a posse of other white cells (usually they just Homestead but now they turn into Helper T cells), into action.

All the White Hats saddle up and race around in the bloodstream damaging the bad guys' membrane walls, attacking their mitochondrial function, and osmosing the living f*** out of their cellular integrity. Then they drag them out into the desert and let them die like the worthless malevolent antisocial microbes they are.

Uh, kind of more or less like that anyway.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts