Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just for fun, lets see the diverse things we throw into our compost or use as deliberate additions to enrich it.

mine are in covered trash cans in the back of the tool shed, have to keep it hidden since neighbors expressed concern when I told them I was starting a compost pile. I think she thought I'd have a pile of steaming fresh manure back there,( thats a country thing!! says she) but they are lawyers and I want to avoid litigation... I use leaves and grass clippings, earth divots from breaking up sod, coffee grounds and veggie matter, crushed egg shell , shredded paper all from the house and lawn. I break up sticks into little pieces, and throw them in there too. ... I'll get some horse manure from a friend soon and the neighbor will never know LOL
I turn the cans out on the ground off and on and mix the stuff up. what is good earth goes into the garden plot, the unfinished stuff goes back in the can for more composting time.
I miss the farm where I had numerous large true piles going at once... ah well, city living, what can I do on .23 acre?? sigh

·
who? what? me? No!!!
654 Posts
probably not the right way to do it, but mine is just a pile at the back of my garden. I started it with the chopped sod from tilling the garden, then some dead leaves, grass clippings, it constantly gets coffee grounds and some table scraps, but since I have ducks, chickens and turkeys in brooding boxes right now, every day the compost pile gets a layer of pineshavings saturated with bird crap

·
Registered
201 Posts
Right now, raked leaves and pine needles from the yard, coffee grounds, food scraps, and egg shells. Hopefully we'll be getting some hens in the next week, so their waste can go in there. Saw a composting contraption at home depot the other day. It's $100, but it's 60 gallons and it's on a stand, with a lever you use to turn it. It looks like it's a Rubbermaid product, but I didn't look that close, since I really didn't want to spend a $100 that day. I'm going to check ebay and craigslist and Amazon too.

·
silenced
3,002 Posts
i try to do more with red wiggler worms, they break down everything fast, they eat about their body weigh in food a day, so if you have 1lb of worms they should eat around 1lb of vege waste.i have given up half my worms twice to neighbors and friends. i just built a new almost 3x4x4 cinderblock home for the worm and next month im goin to double the size.

composting and worms are awesome

·
silenced
3,002 Posts
I just asked hubby a few minutes ago if he thought we should do a worm farm, and he said yes. I have a book on it that I've never read. I will now though.
http://www.thewormdude.com/products-page/composting-worms

thats where i got my worms at, packaged good, quick responses, very helpful, good variety, small independent guy. my worms lasted in a rubbermaid tower home for almost 2 yrs outside in texas heat and through our last odd long freeze winter with no protection, they are active. i want to get another variety when i make another addition to their home/palace. lol

·
Banned
3,048 Posts
I used to have a metal wire cage for a compost pile but my DH was putting too much unshreeded green mater in it and it just got out of hand. He was pulling sticker plants and putting the whole thing in there and it was growing stickers.. This year my husband had to get a new tire for his backhoe and he cut the top out of the old one and left me just the sides so we have begun slowly building our new compost heap. He no longer puts large quantities of large green mater in there we only put small shreeded gras clippings, egg shells, vegtable matter from the kitchen cuttings from the garden then we put a shovel of drit in every so often. We are putting our pulled out sticker plants in our burn barrel and when it is full burning it hopefuly it will help stop them from multiplying. I would like to get some worms and add in need to do that next. :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I use a roughly-made wooden bin that was built to hold garbage bags. I put out a bag of garbage a month, so I've never used it for its original purpose. It seems to be working quite well as a compost bin though.

My compost gets fruit and veggie scraps, tea bags, and yard trimmings.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
My compost pile has...
Democratic Party paper articles, mushrooms and a lot of grass. Started it now it has become a huge mess with no hope.

·
Fire Fighter
1,084 Posts
I have 30 plus yards now that I have ben making the last 5-10 years. I just piled it up with my loader in the pasture. It was hay and manurer that has been decomposing to the point it is all blackesh dirt now. I have another 20 yards plus in the works and selling it for $20.00 a pick/up load. I allready filled the garden a foot deep and need to roto/tiller it in again. I have way more than I will ever use! Mark

·
Registered
154 Posts
http://www.thewormdude.com/products-page/composting-worms

thats where i got my worms at, packaged good, quick responses, very helpful, good variety, small independent guy. my worms lasted in a rubbermaid tower home for almost 2 yrs outside in texas heat and through our last odd long freeze winter with no protection, they are active. i want to get another variety when i make another addition to their home/palace. lol
How do you keep ants away? Thanks

·
Living and Learning
227 Posts
Food scraps go into our compost pile. Also a small amount of cardboard (uncolored stuff, like tp tubes that were used for starter pots). The occassional donation of urine, to give it a nitrogen boost (you might think it's gross, but it's very good for the compost, heats it up). It's been almsot a year, and the compost bin is half full, and already has good dirt in the bottom of it.

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
Well, you've covered it, pretty well. Mine is much the same, except for the soft tissue from the last two raiders....

1 - 20 of 45 Posts