Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are dirt cheap merino wool socks on the web including ebay. Then there are $20 and up ski socks.

Is there any discerning quality/performance just by content (blend v pure wool)?

·
Here's Johnny!
306 Posts
100% wool socks are fantastic. They are some of the warmest socks I've got in the arsenal. However, they itch like crazy! So when wearing those socks I wear poly sock liners to wick moisture away from the skin. I save the 100%s for winter mainly.

In the summer I'll wear hiking Smartwools. I've found that with these I can for go the liners as these do a fantastic job of keeping feet dry and provide a cushion for my feet that I don't get with my old standbys, the RedHead hiking socks.

When choosing socks look for warmth, (e.g. wool) depending on what season you're looking at. Look also for cushioning, and over all comfort. I'm picky like that ... Feet are pretty important for hiking. :D: I spoil mine with Smartwool.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, you buy spendy smartwool sockies and the liners? I was was thinking maybe buy cheap wool socks en mass (sp) and then add nice liners??

ETA: I am sock shopping for 7. It's breaking the bank just doing packs and MSKs!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Look for socks that provide reinforcement of the toe area, the pad behind the toe and defiantly the heel. A sock can become your worst enemy if the heel falls apart on you. I have yet to find socks that are build to last, Gold toes seem to be the thickets and provide what seems to be the longest wear time before holes appear.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am thinking about hitting TJ Maxx, "Crazy" Ross *as I call it* and after Christmas (can I say that word?) sales.

I am also looking at diabetic socks which *I think* have similar materials to the liners. And they are about $2 a pair:

75% Duraspun Acrylic 21% Nylon 4% Natural Latex Rubber

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
I don't know about Merino wool. For $20 bucks I would try it out though--its better than frostbite.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I itch like crazy from wool. I wear merino wool socks and there is no itch. The ones I buy are 80% wool/20% polyester, or whatever. They hold their elasticity much better that 100% wool.
I wear them all year long, thin socks in the summer, thick in the winter.

·
"Always Be Prepared"
250 Posts
Merino wool 100% has no itch. That's why the technology was created. It was a great break-through. Try some. I personally stay with the better name brands since my feet are sooooo important for hiking, etc., and especially if the SHTF. Campmor has some good prices on even the better quality Merinos. I love the Wigwam Ingenious Hiking Socks or the Smart Wool. Also Fox River or Columbias are good. Also, check out REI, they have a very nice selection though a little more pricey.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Merino wool will not itch. Be careful buying cheap socks online. They might say "merino" but be as little as 10-20% merino. PM me and I might be able to help. Also check out reioutlet.com. The rei brand merino are excellent.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
try what we did in winter i Germany, black dress socks under wool socks.
it keeps the itch away and the air space insulation helps in circulation and keeps feet warmer.

Reactions: RubberChickenGirl

·
Registered
525 Posts
Socks: It might depend on where you will be walking. When camping in snow country, I like to have a few pair so I can put the wet pair in the bedroll to dry out overnight. Thus fast drying is on my short list of requirements. The rest of the year, I will wear what is comfortable, and change them a lot.

Wool: Maybe the manufacturers have improved the process over the years, but I was never able to find, "100 percent wool socks", with good elastic. Some boots like to eat socks, you are constantly fishing to retrieve the sock before it crawls down to your toes, ha. I do keep a few pairs of the woolies around, because they do work when you step through ice into water up to your knee, and have to keep going. Wool blends, see below.

Poly socks: I think I would pick simple poly socks. Sure, they are cheap, which I like, and they dry out fast, keep it simple.

Cotton: Cotton kills, it takes a long time to dry.

Other synthetics, and blends of the above, will give you a compromise of their basic characteristics. if you find a blend that works for you, stick with it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Merino wool 100% has no itch. That's why the technology was created. It was a great break-through. Try some. I personally stay with the better name brands since my feet are sooooo important for hiking, etc., and especially if the SHTF. Campmor has some good prices on even the better quality Merinos. I love the Wigwam Ingenious Hiking Socks or the Smart Wool. Also Fox River or Columbias are good. Also, check out REI, they have a very nice selection though a little more pricey.
I'll be haunting all the outlets and "sale racks" come January. I am trying to make a budget of $5 per pair which might be a challenge of socks like SmartWool that run about $20. I am finding some on "clearance" for $9.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
<snip> Some boots like to eat socks, you are constantly fishing to retrieve the sock before it crawls down to your toes, ha. I do keep a few pairs of the woolies around, because they do work when you step through ice into water up to your knee, and have to keep going. Wool blends, see below.
HAHAHAHAHA!! I wore 100% wool on a "tramp" in New Zealand and A. Kept losing my socks and B. Got the worst athletes foot with soggy socks.

Poly socks: I think I would pick simple poly socks. Sure, they are cheap, which I like, and they dry out fast, keep it simple.
Just bought some bamboo socks that say they are wicking etc Also bought some cheap at Target that are I think a poly/merino blend dressy ankle sock. I got these as liners w/ a goal of getting chunkier wool or skiing socks on sale.

Cotton: Cotton kills, it takes a long time to dry.

Other synthetics, and blends of the above, will give you a compromise of their basic characteristics. if you find a blend that works for you, stick with it.
There are lots of socks that claim to be moisture wicking with blends from mostly cotton to mostly poly (just basic hanes etc). I wonder if higher poly is better?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Those expensive socks will surely be on sale next year, a good time to stock up. Actually I think the whole world will be going on sale next year. Now would be a good time to scout the likely sources, and wait for those fire-sale prices when the economic meltdown comes to town.

If you have the room (more below) layering socks is probably a good thing, and would help with wool itch if you have that problem.

Your feet will tend to swell during a long hike, especially with heavier loads. I used to run marathons, what was I thinking, gee. Anyway, the running gurus told us to make sure there was plenty of room in the shoes toe box area, as our feet would swell almost a whole shoe size over the 26 miles. The same goes with hiking boots and toting heavy loads. I have some favorite shoes/boots that will accommodate a thin pair with a heavier sock over that, my others wont.

The best solution is to be carried, ha.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Those expensive socks will surely be on sale next year, a good time to stock up. Actually I think the whole world will be going on sale next year. Now would be a good time to scout the likely sources, and wait for those fire-sale prices when the economic meltdown comes to town.

If you have the room (more below) layering socks is probably a good thing, and would help with wool itch if you have that problem.

Your feet will tend to swell during a long hike, especially with heavier loads. I used to run marathons, what was I thinking, gee.
Totally agree on the last bit.

Anyway, the running gurus told us to make sure there was plenty of room in the shoes toe box area, as our feet would swell almost a whole shoe size over the 26 miles. The same goes with hiking boots and toting heavy loads. I have some favorite shoes/boots that will accommodate a thin pair with a heavier sock over that, my others wont.
Do you buy a larger size in boots?

The best solution is to be carried, ha.
True. Oh to be a baby....

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
i love my goldtoe socks. been wearing'em for 2-3 years now and haven't worn out a pair yet and they don't sag on me. i like to buy'em large enough to go to my knee, extra warmth if i'm wearing shorts and it's starts to get cold and it just feels good to have a sock that stays up like it's supposed to. the elastic is great on these socks and the cushion is pretty good too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts