Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gettin' there
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have we all forgotten about Ft. Calhoun? With an "all is well" almost 2 weeks ago, we have little or no new info on the situation concerning the flooding nuke plant since June 28th. News blackout? What's going on? Anyone with info please post.

·
Registered
410 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
NOAA predicting above-average rainfall next 2 weeks

Flood threat: The threat of more flooding will continue through the summer, National Weather Service forecasters said Wednesday. Rivers already are running high and the soil is saturated, so only a small amount of rain could trigger more flooding in the upper Midwest and northern Plains, the weather service said. NOAA's Climate Prediction Center is forecasting above-normal rain in most of these vulnerable areas in the next two weeks, plus above-normal rainfall over much of the region in its one- and three-month outlooks. Rising temperatures over the Rockies will release water from remaining snowpack. “The sponge is fully saturated — there is nowhere for any additional water to go,” said Jack Hayes, National Weather Service director. “While unusual for this time of year, all signs point to the flood threat continuing through summer.”
http://www.omaha.com/article/20110707/NEWS01/707079904/0#the-latest-on-flooding

·
Registered
67 Posts
As a person living in the area, I would like to point out one fact. The article stated the flood levels as such....

Today, OPPD said, the Missouri River level at Fort Calhoun was at 1,006 feet above sea level.

The Army Corps of Engineers has forecast that the river could reasonably be expected to crest at 1,008 feet above sea level at Fort Calhoun this summer.

The Aqua Dam would be considered protective to 1,010 feet, Jones said. Federally mandated protections are in place to keep the plant safe to 1,014 feet, and additional backup systems should kick into gear should water get higher, OPPD and NRC officials say.
I have been keeping a close eye on the river. From the 22nd or 23rd of June to the middle of the following week, the river had raised almost a foot. Mind you this is just with the rains. We still have all of the drainage from the flooding in North dakota to deal with as well as all the snow fall melting to deal with.

In my opinion, I am not comfortable with the fact that a meager 6 feet is all that stands between safty and a complete floodign of the power plant.

Then again that is just me.....

·
Gettin' there
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thank you KC109 for the article. The most informative I have seen in some time.

After reading it, I tried to make the numbers add up, mind you I am no expert, but what I came up with was that the level of the water now is 1006 ft. which is 2 ft higher than it supposedly was at the time of the artificial dam being broken. So when the dam goes back up we could expect it to be 1004 ft. once they pump out the water? And the dam is good to 1010 ft. so that makes the margin of 6 ft. Now what doesn't add up for me is the article said that it is federally mandated to be safe to 1014 ft. Ok, so if the dam takes it to 1010 ft of safety, where do we get the additional 4 ft of safety? Please review my math. I am a long way from there, but the whole thing makes me a bit uneasy, if only for those nearby, or in the line of plumeage, should the thing melt.

Also the picture in the article is from June 27. Have we seen any more recent pics?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I can't tell you what the river is doing at Ft. Calhoun but I was at Cooper yesterday and the river has dropped about another two feet. No real issues right now there. Everyone is getting to work just fine and the station is operating normally. With the levee failures upstream, some of the pressure seems to have eased here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts