Survivalist Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
I didn't do it
568 Posts
Awesome little knife! One of my favorites...

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Ontario-RAT-Model-2-Liner-Lock--79696

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I would be interested in seeing more of the fixed blade EDC knives some of you carry and hear how you use it, if at all. Maybe I should start a new topic?

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
I keep an edc on me, an expanded one in the car trunk and a couple backpacks by the door in a yellow TSC wagon by the back door. My inroute edc are a series of resupply buckets ever 5 miles along 2 egress routes. That way any family or friends can access the caches as they journey too.

My edc is one of many layers with the same goal, designed to be expandible to gear up family evacuating too enroute.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Primary edc
SAK Walker followed by #6 Opinel . It isn't unusual for me to carry the Walker and Opinel or Walker and a Mora Eldris . If a fixed blade is called for Mora Kansbol or Becker BK-10

·
Registered
74 Posts
That one on top, is it made in Japan? I found one amongst my deceased fathers stuff. And it was mixed in with his fathers stuff. Blades are warm down but it’s in okay shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No. It's not made in Japan. It's a Camillus N.Y. 72 model "Carpenter's Whittler's" knife made in USA. This particular blade configuration was only made in 1946, the first year the 72 model came out, and were made with Rogers bone scales. It's kinda rare too. I have 3 1946 72s with one of them in an extremely rare mint condition - the only one known to exist in this condition. I'll attach a photo of it.
Camillus #72 1st Generation.jpg

·
Registered
763 Posts
No. It's not made in Japan. It's a Camillus N.Y. 72 model "Carpenter's Whittler's" knife made in USA. This particular blade configuration was only made in 1946, the first year the 72 model came out, and were made with Rogers bone scales. It's kinda rare too. I have 3 1946 72s with one of them in an extremely rare mint condition - the only one known to exist in this condition. I'll attach a photo of it. View attachment 345193
She’s a beauty! The one I found is made in Japan but looks exactly like that. I assume it’s probably nearly as old but probably not quite. In any case, I’m going to try and clean it up a bit. You can tell the large blade has been sharpened hundreds of times.

·
Registered
74 Posts
She’s a beauty! The one I found is made in Japan but looks exactly like that. I assume it’s probably nearly as old but probably not quite. In any case, I’m going to try and clean it up a bit. You can tell the large blade has been sharpened hundreds of times.

Thanks. The first 72 posted has been sharpened many times and is an edc with all 3 blades still tight, strong and very snappy but the mint (new) one at the bottom have factory edges on all three blades. Bought it from an old man from Kansas who bought it in a small Kansas town -- that looked like time forgot -- at a hardware store that was closing down. The old man bought it in the 1980s when he saw an empty knife display case and asked if there were any knives left. He was told there was only one - this brand new 72. The old man I bought it from is primarily a Shapleigh & Empire knife collector so he sold me this knife as he got it, unused. He only took the knife out periodically to inspect and clean. The knife has Rogers bone scales and all 3 blades have a factory finished surface too. I have it in a military artillery box inside a small clear container, both the ammo box and clear container have moisture absorption bags. I will eventually sell it to someone who collects Camillus N.Y. knives. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm retired and believe it or not, carry a ESEE 4 in either carbon or 440c in my right front pocket. I carry a small folder in my left pocket.

Sometime the right pocket is a Izula, BK14 or BK24. The ESEE 4 is surprisingly not difficult to carry in this manner at all. I think this is do to how flat it is.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
7,201 Posts
Pretty much since 75 a Buck 110 has been on my belt. When I was assigned to a post where the 110 was over the legal limit a 112 took its place. (Right after lunch one day I got called in the the battalion sergeant major’s office. He had seen the Buck holster on my belt in the mess hall. He was waiting there with a ruler in hand. He demanded I hand over my knife. He put the ruler to it then said “two and fifteen sixteenths of an (explative deleted) of an inch. The limit was three inches,BTW. as he handed it back he said “I don’t know why a soldier in my Army should need such a weapon.” “ if you look at the training schedule for today you will see that it is tent and camouflage net maintenance day. Ropes don’t cut themselves.“ That didn’t go over well.

moving on,

On the key ring for the truck is a Gerber Guardian. I suggest you not reach uninvited into the truck.

Also clipped to a pocket is a partially serrated Gerber Paraframe for when the fine edge on the Buck won’t do the job.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm carrying double Walkers today . My EDC SAK Walker that is always in my pocket and my A.G. Russell Woods Walker

Of course this is always close

61 - 79 of 79 Posts