Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
how long is a piece of string?

A kukri lends itself less well to stabbing and better to chopping or slashing.
A kukri usually has 2 mini knives also.
get one of each!

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
What is this knife for?

Kukri is a very effective chopper, a great all around camping tool. its on the big side though.

ka-bar's, like the USMC fighting knife is good for general utility work but the tang is too weak for excessive chopping. i broke two in training...lol oops. I have a ka-bar and is my go-to knife for fighting but outside of that it lacks in my books.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well, Ka-bar is a brand so I guess it depends on what model your talking about. Ka-bar even makes a kukri. All their knives are very well made. But if your talking about they're most famous knife which is the USMC combat/utility knife then it depends on what your using it for. And it also depends on how big the kukri is. Kukris make excellent choppers but can be difficut to use for more delicate work. While the ka-bar is more capable at more delicate work, its not as effective at chopping. It mostly depends on what your trying to accomplish. Lots of variables in this question.

·
Registered
261 Posts
what's the best all around skinner/chopper
Well, in that you're going to have a conflict between the ka-bar and kukri. The Ka-bar has a better blade shape and size for skinning, but just doesn't have the mass for chopping. Kukri is the chopping King in my oppinon. Overall though, I guess it also depends on what kind of stuff you're chopping as well. Ka-bar should be good enough for smaller things, and heck, I've got an Ontario Spec Plus Marine that I was able to chop down a tree with but it just requires a little more work. Based on what your using it for I would probably go with the Ka-bar. What brand and model was the Kukri your looking at?

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
skinner for larg or small game?

heres what i carry;
Cold steel bird & trout skinner-$15
Cold steel kukri-$20
Cold steel SRK-$60
leatherman Wave-$80
Cold steel recon 1-$70
Mora clipper-$10(finaly found one!)

In my car is;
Onterio spec+ SP5
Ka-Bar 7"
ka-Bar boot knife
cheep back up folder

All thies knives are with me at all times, eather on my person or in my car. They each have a specific purpose.

The Kukri is a great all around knife that, with the proper know-how will skin an animal. however, with out alot of experience i'd suggest just carring two knives. The CS B&T skinner is very small and at about $15-$20 you'd be hard pressed to find a better purpose knife.

http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/coldsteel/images/20bt2.jpg

Get that and the CS kukri and your set! And you only spent about $40, thats less than a Ka-Bar and you are much more capable than you'd be with just a Ka-bar or the like. Heck even a Mora clipper insteat of the small skinner would be fine. and there cheep too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it will be for both small and big game...and yes i think i will just carry two knives with me at all times a chopper and a skinner

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
For that then for over all price and performance, the Cold Steel Kukri and Cold Steel Bird & Trout Skinner would do. there are better but thies are proven knives that have searved myself and many others very well. I'd take a look at Mora's knives too. there very inexpinsive and a very good bush/utility blade for the smaller jobs, like sharpining sticks, cutting rope, and it also could be used as a skinning knife if need be.

Its hard to pick just a few knives to carry. but if i HAD to pick one it would be A good, full tang fixed blade that is around 7" long. Most likely be a Fallkniven A2, if price wasent a problem. Still at $20, the CS kukri is still a best buy.

The CS skinner is made out of AUS-6A stainless so it wont have that razors edge that a 1095 HC blade can get, but it will resist corrosion alot better and hold an edge longer. It has a very small 2 1/4" blade, but that should be just fine for anything in N. America.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Kabar Kukri is good. They make a Cutlass Machete that chops too, probably not as good as a kukri. Kabar makes a smaller Camp knife with a nice belly for chopping and possibly skinning.

An Ontario Quartermaster has a nice shape.

Very seldom will you find a do it all tool. Ideal set up would be a chopper and bushcraft knife.

Ontario Marine bayonet is full tang. Chop, stab, and lash to a stick or AR or Mossberg.

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
Oh yeah, the Cold Steel SRK is good too. I just got their new version recently and skinned a squirl with it. Did a very good job considering its a small animal and a 6 inch blade knife.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
Kabar Kukri is good. They make a Cutlass Machete that chops too, probably not as good as a kukri. Kabar makes a smaller Camp knife with a nice belly for chopping and possibly skinning.

An Ontario Quartermaster has a nice shape.

Very seldom will you find a do it all tool. Ideal set up would be a chopper and bushcraft knife.

Ontario Marine bayonet is full tang. Chop, stab, and lash to a stick or AR or Mossberg.
Those are some nice looking knives :thumb:

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Thank You FX!

On a bush craft knife, I would not go shorter than 4" and 6" max. Grind off the hand guard on the spine so you can choke up. Maybe grind in a coil for your finger.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts