Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in buying a handgun for home protection. I believe I'd prefer a revolver rather than an auto, just to avoid mechanical issues.

I'd also like to find something that will use the same .22LR ammo as my rifle. I'm also on a rather limited budget, in other words, I'm not going to spend $450 for handgun.

So...any suggestions as to a good make and model?

·
RIP America 1776-2012
1,953 Posts
You might want to look into one of these.

Tarus Model 94SS2UL
ULTRA-LITE, .22 S/L/L.R, 9 RDS, DA/SA, REVOLVER IN STAINLESS STEEL

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info. I've heard that Taurus is a good gun, but the ones I saw at the trade show Saturday were quite pricey. However, I'll keep my eyes open, never can tell, I might just find one at a good price.

Showing my ignorance: what's DA/SA?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Which one?

The one that fits her hand, in a caliber that she can comfortably control, that she can properly manipulate without error and will practice with until she becomes proficient with it.

Go to a gun store with a large selection of used handguns and start trying them. Personally, I'd favor giving someone who is new to gun handling a short barrelled, double action revolver. They are reliable and the load can be varied from light to heavy. Semi autos can be tricky with people who have not developed muscle control and memory whereas a revolver is more point and shoot with less worries of a malfunction due to limp wristing the gun or having to remember to cock or decock it depending on the type of gun and what condition its carried in.

As for makes or models, maybe let her decide when she fits her hand to one. It might give her some incentive to practice with it if she has a say in selecting it.

·
high on truck stop coffee
17,703 Posts
Ruger .22 auto

Showing my ignorance: what's DA/SA?
double action/single action.

A good ladies gun would be a Ruger .22 auto,get a few extra mags & know what it means to have the weapon in 'safe' mode .ie:no live cartridge in the chamber.How to charge the chamber to make it fire.That's about it...once you fully understand that,you will can safely operate this fine auto.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since I'm the "she" that's asking for the information, I do appreciate the idea of visiting my local gun shop to see which gun best fits my hand.

I've shot a Colt .45 auto years ago and was very accurate (actually better than my cop husband). However being older, I realize that I need something smaller, plus I'm leery of the mechanics of the auto and the increased opportunities for mechanical problems.

Fewer moving parts in a revolver, as I understand, means few opportunities for problems. JMHO

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
Go to your local gun store and talk things over with the people there. One thing... Make sure that any revolver you get has at least a 4 inch barrel. There's not much recoil with a .22 LR handgun but a longer barrel allows you have more accuracy than a shorter one. The reason I suggest talking to the gun store people is because of the present surge in consumer purchasing as firearms and ammunition goes. There is no way to know what is in stock at your local store until you talk to them and give them your parameters of what you want to purchase.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Why would ANYONE recommend a 22 caliber handgun for home protection simply because a woman will be using it? A 22 is not a good gun for home protection period. If someone is already invading your home, they will be loaded with adrenaline.. A 22 will just **** them off..

If you have smaller hands, and already appear to like the idea of a revolver, you can find great deals in the 38 special line of snub nosed revolvers. You can get 38 SPL +P ammo and have adequate stopping power and ease of use, with a VERY reliable and lightr platform. If I was looking for one all purpose home defense handgun, that I knew would work perfectly every time and required little maintenance, and size and weight were a consideration, a snub revolver would be my choice.

Also, you can add an inexpensive youth 16 or 20 ga shotgun down the road that would handle a night time perp even better, and still be manageable for any small-medium sized woman.

·
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW
3,169 Posts
Reconsider your choice of a 22. If you are not looking for something to carry, you could go with a full size 9mm, or a full size revolver.

Taurus makes good guns. If you want to go cheap and ugly look at a Hi Point, it is a semi auto.

As far as semi auto v. Revolver, IMO the mechanical argument against the Semi is BS.

That being said the best home defense gun is a shotgun in the largest gauge you can handle.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
I wouldn't even THINK of staking my life on a .22, especially a .22 pistol.

My wife carries a Walther PPK .380 and its the smallest caliber of gun that she's comfortable with.

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
I would really take your time with the decision. It's not just a matter of caliber. It's also a matter weight, balance, comfortable grip. You really need to try out a few before you make a decision.
I would not go smaller than a .32. I prefer at least a .380.
You may want to check out:
Kel-Tec P3AT
Kahr P380
Walther PPK

·
Banned
630 Posts
My wife prefers the 9mm sig 228 and she is a deadly shot with it. I have found out that women can learn to shoot about anything...My wife likes the 1911 and shoots it well but she doesnt like the weight...

·
Banned
630 Posts
Kregener,

Why would you avoid a sig 228 or a colt 1911, I am very curious...as I my wife is petite with small hands as well as my daughter...and as I said they can take care of themselves. I have quite a collection of handguns including 9mm sigs 228s,229,226s, glocks 17s,19s,BHPs,P1s, S7w 29s,28s,27s,686s,19s, ruger 101s
makarovs, colt45acps,sig 220s,glock 21s and they prefer the 228...

·
Doomsayer
4,048 Posts
Kregener,

Why would you avoid a sig 228 or a colt 1911, I am very curious...as I my wife is petite with small hands as well as my daughter...and as I said they can take care of themselves. I have quite a collection of handguns including 9mm sigs 228s,229,226s, glocks 17s,19s,BHPs,P1s, S7w 29s,28s,27s,686s,19s, ruger 101s
makarovs, colt45acps,sig 220s,glock 21s and they prefer the 228...
Um....er...you seem to be confused MAW. Not sure how that happened.

·
high on truck stop coffee
17,703 Posts
have another look

Why would ANYONE recommend a 22 caliber handgun for home protection simply because a woman will be using it?If someone is already invading your home, they will be loaded with adrenaline.. A 22 will just **** them off..
*wrong*
maybe a .22 will **** off a bear,but it can do a terrible amount of damage to the human body,if you doubt it,have another look at the Reagan assassination attempt from waay back in 1981,nutjob Hinckley incapacitated four people with that pea-shooter in about two seconds.There's an old saying that 'one hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44'..be forewarned,the following scenes are *graphic*

1 - 20 of 48 Posts