Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

What's a good fishing rod and reel combo for a dude who doesn't particularly care for fishing, but needs one around the house...just in case. My old man is big on deep sea fishing and while I enjoy deep sea fishing, I only see myself freshwater fishing in an emergency (so long as there aren't contaminants in the water).

Anyway, I've pond fished or creek fished maybe 20 times in my life. Again, never really found it enjoyable, have some knowledge around it, but not much. With that said, what kind of rod and reel combo should I get for trout/bass fishing in ponds, lakes, or rivers. I'm in PA. Freshwater only. And what length and why does that matter?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,918 Posts
zebco 202
Hammer simple to use
I snagged one off the bottom of vale lake, drained the water from reel and started using it.

·
Registered
11,673 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
I love Ugly Sticks for rods, and Shimano reels are very good. You could probably get the pair for $60. Do you want a ultra light, light or medium setup? Something for bass, bluegill, walleye, pike etc?

Here is a medium setup and the price is great at $39.
Amazon.com : Shakespeare Ugly Stik GX2 Spinning Rod Combo : Spinning Rod And Reel Combos : Sports & Outdoors
I have this setup and like it. It's affordable and works pretty well so I, happy with it. I'm fairly new to fishing so I wasn't going to drop a ton of money on gear till I figure out what I'm doing.

·
Registered
11,673 Posts
I have this setup and like it. It's affordable and works pretty well so I, happy with it. I'm fairly new to fishing so I wasn't going to drop a ton of money on gear till I figure out what I'm doing.

I have several budget setups that are similar, they all catch fish :thumb:

I would recommend buying a few Rapala lures. These ALWAYS hook the bass for me. You don't have to be an expert with these, just cast along shorelines of ponds and reel in, if there is a largemouth, you will hook him. One gold and one silver is all you need.

Amazon.com : Rapala Original Floater 09 Fishing lure (Silver, Size- 3.5) : Fishing Floating Lures : Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com : Rapala Original Floater 05 Fishing lure ( Fishing lure (Silver, Size- 2) : Fishing Floating Lures : Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I am a semi retired professional Musky Fisherman. I build lures for a living. I have fished for over 40 years. Pa. HAS TROUT , PANFISH and big fish like Muskies and Walleye. There is no one rod that works for everything. However you should be able to feed yourself on Panfish and trout. I would get a 7 to 7.5 foot medium action Ugly stick or Eagle claw two piece rod. The best reel ever made for long term use was the 753 Cardinal and you can still find them on EBAY for around 20 bucks. They are open face and have a rear drag. This rig will work on any fish from little bluegills to pike and Walleye. I would get an extra spool so you can carry 6 pound test for panfish or stream trout and 12 pound test for bigger fish. Carry 100 number 6 Mustad short shank bait holding hooks, several hundred small splitshot and half a dozen small bobbers for panfish. You should have several backup spools of line as well. I recommend P-LINE in 6 and 12 pound test. You should carry several lures for Pike and Walleye like #5 Mepps spinners and the above Rapala crankbaits but dont go real big. Stay around 4 to 5 inches. You should also carry a multi tool or a pair of needle nose pliers.

My wife and I catch fish every year for our freezer. We are currently filling our freezer with Blue gill fillets. We take 300 of these pan fish every year and put them into 20 bags of 30 fillets. Then we move on to Pike and Walleye and try for 12 to 15 of each fish to freeze. We also take Salmon and trout from Lake Michigan and trout from local streams. The easiest will be pan fish like Bluegills, perch, crappies and sunfish. You can eat Bass as well and should add a few spinner baits in 1/4 to 1/2 ounce. Black skirts with chrome blades and all chartruse. White can also do well. a few rubber /soft plastic worms wouldn't hurt. But mark my words, the 753 Cardinal abu reel will not let you down. They were built right back in the day. A good cleaning and re grease will give you years and years of reliable service. Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all. The ugly stick crossed my radar a few times so far. I'll probably go with that. Kingfish, I like your two cents about extra spools of line. Thanks for the specifics on baits and lures too.

Question for all though. Why does rod length matter. You say 7 to 7.5 ft and medium action. Is this personal preference or more specific for my needs?

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
The rod I posted was for 6 to 15 pound line . This is a 2 piece rod so its only a little over 3.5 feet long when you break it down. Easy to put in your pack. No rod does it all but that rod comes pretty close. Little bluegills to big bass and Pike, Trout and with a 753 Cardinal reel spooled with 12 pound P-Line you could even take on a lake Ontartio salmon AS LONG AS YOU PLAYED THE DRAG RIGHT.
We have 4 of those reels and use them for Big trout and also jigging walleyes. The 753 was one of the best reels ever made and chinese crap that they sell today does not hold a candle..

Another reel we use a lot is from the 80's as well. DAIWA 80 , these are great panfish reels and you can get bushings and ring and pinion gears and rebuild them over and over and over again. I have 8 of them and they are all from the 80's when they built good reels. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAIWA-80X-U...076632?hash=item3f60915418:g:mpQAAOSwAvJXBaNL

·
Registered
505 Posts
Get a medium rod with a spinning reel, not the cheap push button reels. Bait casting reels are too complex and difficult to use if you don't practice. Be prepared to spend 30 dollars (clearance) on the reel and about the same on a good rod. Buy some different size hooks, 2-3 bobbers, and a variety pack of lead weights. Purchase some decent line: spend 10-20 dollars. Don't worry about fancy lures because you want something simple and easy to use, so you can do something else while you wait.

Fishing is an art that takes practice, and lakes are like deserts with a few oasis. If you aren't practicing, you will never be as efficient as someone who does practice. As the saying goes "10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish." With the above setup, it is as KISS simple as you can make it and still have a decent chance of catching fish.

·
Registered
1 Posts
All,

What's a good fishing rod and reel combo for a dude who doesn't particularly care for fishing, but needs one around the house...just in case. My old man is big on deep sea fishing and while I enjoy deep sea fishing, I only see myself freshwater fishing in an emergency (so long as there aren't contaminants in the water).

Anyway, I've pond fished or creek fished maybe 20 times in my life. Again, never really found it enjoyable, have some knowledge around it, but not much. With that said, what kind of rod and reel combo should I get for trout/bass fishing in ponds, lakes, or rivers. I'm in PA. Freshwater only. And what length and why does that matter?

Thanks
I may go a slightly different route than others here, but my bugout fishing rig consists an Eagle Claw brand "Pack-it" telescopic 5'6" spincasting rod made of fiberglass and a Daiwa Silvercast 100a reel with 10lb. Trilene line. This rig will handle just about any fishing need from small panfish up to fish in the 8-10lb range, collapsed is only about 16 inches in length and weighs less than 2 lbs. I have a hinged plastic multi-compartment box with an extra assortment of hooks, sinkers, bobbers, and several crankbait lures like the Rapala, and a couple of spinnerbaits and a few plastic worms and grubs and a small leatherman type multi-tool. In addition, there is one other thing I find indispensable. That is a fiberglass 10ft. telescopic "cane pole." It is very handy for bank fishing in streams and lakes, has no reel, just some "cleats" for winding line around and is great for simple panfishing. An extra spool of bulk 10lb. test line to replace line that breaks and your set.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi KC I'm in PA too!
My advice to you is to go to Walmart and buy one of the $15-$20 rod combos. Maybe one closed-faced & one open-faced just to cover all your bases.
Now this is usually not something I'd recommend because I'm somthing of a gear snob,lol. I love fishing and have like 10 nice rod/reel setups but if I read your OP correctly I stand by my advice ITT.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Zebco 33 will handle most freshwater fishing you're likely to do.
If you need something bigger the Zebco 808 should handle the rest.

Combos of both of those are found everywhere at reasonable prices.

There are also comparably sized and priced spinning outfits right next to them on the rack if you prefer that style.

I also recommend a telescoping cane pole for panfish. They're very cheap, effective and there's nothing mechanical to go wrong with them.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,095 Posts
I grew up with Zebcos. They do not compare with a good quality spinning outfit.

Just as soon as I had a steady job, I dumped my crappy Zebcos, and bought a med Ugly Stick spin rod, and a Mitchell 306ex spin reel. Fished with this simple outfit for 20 yrs.

Later, I added a nice St. Croix med-light spin rod for trolling Lindy Rigs.
Then a big steelhead bait rod and a 7000 series Abu bait reel for big cats.

·
Viva la revolution!
2,140 Posts
The difference between a high dollar Croix and an Ugly Stick in price is close to 5:1, the difference in performance is maybe 10%. Yes I LOVE Croix rods but really, they are not worth the money IMHO.

A light weight rod and reel that is easily affordable will work and you will have hours and hours of fun and excitement. I catch 5+ pound bass on 4 lb test line all the time (farm pond) and it is just crazy fun! It will teach you the basics and be entertainment too! When I get serious I do up the poundage on the line but you can catch most fish on light rods, just takes patience.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
All,

Thanks
I've had success with a 6ft 2-6lb (with 5-6lb line) 0.8-4 gram spinning rod.

Japanese barbel and carp.

[URL=http://s259.photobucket.com/user/JNC76_2007/media/Takako011.jpg.html]
[IMG]http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh292/JNC76_2007/Takako027.jpg

Yorkshire pike, chub and trout

Buy a shimano or daiwa reel of the size to fit your rod, I use a 1000 size shimano.

·
High Concept
5,142 Posts

Shimano ix 2000 or ix 4000 with a 7 foot two piece ugly stik.

The reel should be less than $20.

These reels have lasted me decades and I have caught many large and small fish with them in salt and fresh water.

Very cheap but very fun, easy to use.

Actually together rod and reel $44.07 at Wally World, For the ix 1000 with 6 foot shimano rod. Run a 6lb mono with this for freshwater.

Here's the link. For a shimano rod reel combo for ix 1000 and 6 foot rod.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shimano-F...fault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,095 Posts
The difference between a high dollar Croix and an Ugly Stick in price is close to 5:1, the difference in performance is maybe 10%. Yes I LOVE Croix rods but really, they are not worth the money IMHO.

A light weight rod and reel that is easily affordable will work and you will have hours and hours of fun and excitement. I catch 5+ pound bass on 4 lb test line all the time (farm pond) and it is just crazy fun! It will teach you the basics and be entertainment too! When I get serious I do up the poundage on the line but you can catch most fish on light rods, just takes patience.
A St. Croix rod may not be needed for the type of fishing you do, but the type of sensitivity they provide is definitely needed if you are jigging in 60+ ft of water, or trolling a worm/spinner/walking sinker (Lindy rig).

Yes I caught lots of walleye trolling a diving plug or a daredevil spoon, but I catch they a lot for often using deep water techniques.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts