Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Life, Liberty,& Happiness
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since joining this forum I have read several posts about how much gear (mainly firearms and ammo) people actually think they can carry during a bug out situation.

I mean I have read some people who honestly believe that they will be carrying enough to supply a small army, how absurd.

If you take into account that 20-25% of your body weight is 40-50 lbs on a larger male and a rifle weighing 6lbs with say 6 lbs of ammo takes up over 1/4 of your average weight restrictions, then add a sidearm and ammo, you are taking up serious amounts of BOB real estate, and that's only two weapons.

I encourage EVERYONE who thinks they might have to bug out, to go a take a nice long walkabout with all the gear they think they can carry and re-evaluate after the hike.

For some of you this will be a very important lesson in reality.

I only say this due to some of the absurdities I have read, and I actually have tried this and found my own realities from the experience.

I implore the importance of this because it could cost some of you your lives.

·
MOLON LABE!
5,908 Posts
Meathunter, I would think that most folks base their plans on the best scenario possible, plenty of time to pack, vehicle to pack it in and so on.

My plans do, 'cuz I just don't see how I can pack all our equipment and supplies on my back in any scenario.

Which is also why we plan on bugging in unless there is no way possible to stay put.......

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I often think the exact same thing when I read handgun rifle shotgun... Im starting to think a taurus judge with 6 inch barrel and a 22 pistol is the way to go. Or 44 mag pistol and 22.

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Old saying goes, plan for the best be prepare for the worst.

Another, Murphy's Law,

Anything that can go wrong will.

My point mostly is about discovering your limitations before it is too late. Good plans are great but the attitude of some newer folk is extreme and inexperienced. I just want to encourage EVERYONE, to know what is realistic before SHTF.

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I often think the exact same thing when I read handgun rifle shotgun... Im starting to think a taurus judge with 6 inch barrel and a 22 pistol is the way to go. Or 44 mag pistol and 22.
Or the Taurus Judge with its rifle counterpart the circuit judge, will allow to keep ammo types limited yet versatile, and only two firearms worth of weight considerations.

My pet peeve are the people who think they will walk any distance with an AR and all ammo, shotgun and ammo, pistol and ammo, and 22 with ammo. To me this is just plain unrealistic and has vast opportunity for failure.

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
Amen brother, I preach the same constantly. If you don't do it, and not just a mile down to the end of the road on a sunny Spring day... go for a week in the rain, the snow, bugs, etc.

You have to learn what it's like and what you can do. And the only way is to do it.

Az

·
Registered
686 Posts
Nail on the head OP. :thumb:The ridiculous claims prove those people do not even have experience hunting game.

Just go hunt some squirrel folks. Grab your .22 rifle, a .22lr side arm, and a pack with the essentials like some trail mix,ammo, knife and a canteen of water. Hike a few miles into the woods and see how you feel. And then realize, it doesn't get any lighter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts