Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of starting up a group of people who want to stand on thier own two feet in a SHTF situation, they just need a place to do it. I have 235 acres of remote wilderness in Maine that is next to Millions of acres of public and paper mill woodlands. I wouldn't mind having a group to share the taxes and maint. cost with in exchange for a lot they can call thier own, and set up a BOL on. What is everyones idea of the perfect bug out community??? who and what would be in it???

·
BEEN HERE TO LONG
1,336 Posts
i love it but its to far from me now and icant move on my income.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I looked for people that are like brothers to me. I can trust the lives of my children to them like they can to me. You have to be able to break bread with the folks you are going to survive with. It also helps when most of them are combat proven folks. We don't get fancy, we are militia types. We keep to ourselves and do what we do. Land is another deal. If one guy owns the land and everyone else is just in for the ride it can get dicey. People need to buy in. They need to own acreage there themselves. You can share some things but you need your personal space. At least 5 to 10 acres each. A community can be formed with some things shared.

Sounds like you have a really nice place. Best wishes.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking of signing long term lease agreements with group members, that way they have control and access granted in writing, and it would be ten times more affordable than buying a 5 acre lot of thier own. Yet they could build and develope it as they pleased. The only restriction i can think of is they couldn't remove rescorces from the land for sale to outside parties, like clear cutting the wood off your lot and selling it to a paper company. I am a firm believer in having ones own space, but don't want some one doing a rape and run.

·
I hear the bagpipes
279 Posts
You want people who have been proven to do well in long term isolation, while functioning in a team oriented environment. I spent many a night at sea, on a ship with 24 crew members. After a while, they became like family, only I couldn't walk away very far from any conflict. I realized that all conflicts had to be resolved to agreement, or at least to an acceptable level of peace. Most everyone seemed to get this, and the people who ultimately failed were the ones who did not. Swimming home was not a good option. You just don't know how you'll do unless you get thrown into the situation. I'd say that skills can be learned, but personality and demeanor will make or break an individuals success in the BO scenario you describe.

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
Good leadership, not dictatorship.
Work as a team, regard each other as family, respect and acceptance, no favourtism, compassion, good dispute resolution skills and communication.
To name a few.

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
I look to the friends and family I've had all my life. That's a group that can't be replicated anywhere else.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aye Aye GMDSS, good comparison . I'm a commercial ship captain, and in the middle of the big pond with no escape, people will work very hard at getting along. There are many parts of human nature I still have faith in. And the desire to work together and get along, I hope I never loose faith in.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another aspect I am hoping to gain with this is too give everyone who thinks they can Bug-Out a chance to try. The only way to know is spend a week in the woods like you planned. At the end of that week, you'll know what your back pack is missing. And come away with a much better perspective on what will face you should the day ever come. We all know there are many newbe's out there that need a little seasoning up. Why not give them a place to practice with someone watching their backs if they run into trouble. I'll bet there are a few dads that would like to take their kids into the woods and build thier own log cabin. You can't do that at the state park, they get pissed!!!!!. I'd like to find people that want to come up a few times a year and work on their lots, stocking up firewood, making a shelter, Honning their skills and learning new ones. Why can't you call for a Bug-Out if the mother inlaw is visiting for a week? If you had a nice little hunting camp, you could.

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
Good idea,
Skills need to practised, honed, and refined.
Better to find the shortfalls and problems now than find out when you really need the skills.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I met a small team that have bought a store with a basement. They have a Airsoft team for bug out practice and a huge store of goods due to some weird planning in the basement.
I asked if I could apply to join the team, I do not qualify. Wrong military skills! 15 families with about 48 total members. They are very close even work together and hang out together.
I want into a group in Mid-GA, but I need to get me together first.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Puzzler, do not worry. It is better to find out you don't belong to a group before it is necessary. Wrong military skills?!!!! I don't know if I'd want to be in that group. What about compassion, sharing, seeing the value of another person - these are skills also. I guess I look another way. I am interested in people who know how to grow food, look after the community's safety, have knowledge of medicinal herbs and how to chose edible plants. I am interested in people who have a sense of keeping ALL in the group safe and sharing one another's burdens. Hunting and military skills are great but wildlife runs out especially when you have hordes of people hunting the region. Somebody better have seeds/plants put back and know how to teach others how to work the fields, make soap for hygiene and cook the food that is gathered as no matter how many supplies you have, they will run out eventually. I would think education for the young is important and so I'd look for teachers or people who would do good working with young people, even though I myself have no young people. I'd think a successful group would have a diverse population and not just a bunch of yahoo's out shooting guns.

Do not be to hard on yourself. I believe that getting ourself together is what our walk is about and we don't stop maturing and learning until the day we pass over from this world. It takes all kinds of people to make this world go round, which is why, imo our world is going crazy. We keep trying to make everyone the same instead of seeing the value each of us has. Good luck to you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts