Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
ALIEN HYBRID
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I do have some preps. But nothing near what a really long term situation would require. So I ask you. If you had advanced knowledge of an economic collapse. Or something similar. And you were to jump into your car to hit the local Walmart or grocery store. Before the hoards of people got wind of anything. What would you load into your shopping cart. Now this would be prior to any banking shut downs. So you can use your credit cards. Thank you!
:zombie

·
Viva la revolution!
2,140 Posts
LTS foods, ammo and beer!

Seriously,

shelf stable food and all of everything else that I use on a regular basis that they had on the shelf.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Yep, shelf stable food. Matches, batteries (the sizes you normally use), extra water containers, spices, toothpicks, socks, under ware, garden seeds, etc.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,981 Posts
Mountain Dew, cigarettes and a breeding pair of Gerbsters. - Rusty Shackleford.

Lard, 1 gal can of Cooking oil, bulk rice and beans, dog food, flour, canned meats, Vit C , Multi vitamins and Minerals, TP, wet wipes, Fishing stuff, ammo, synthetic car oil and filter, socks, underwear, hat, gloves, lighters, DEET, insect control stuff (fireants, etc)

·
Off the leash
2,371 Posts
First, grab all the bottled water and canned soups, stews and such as I could.

Then I would hit the first-aid department first and stock up on band-aids and like items and all OTC meds I possibly could first. These are things that are hard to replace and are items lots of people won't even think about getting.

Then I would go to the clothing department and get socks, jeans, t-shirts, etc.

Material, needles, thread and other sewing items too.

On further thought, to heck with it all. Just grab all the beer and run! :D:

·
The Mom
1,163 Posts
OTC meds and first aid. Gallons upon gallons of water. Bleach. Soap. Clothes/sewing supplies.

Cooking oil, vinegar of all kinds, canned foods (as much protein as possible) as well as fruits and veg, rice, beans, peanut butter, and anything else I see that looks good. Cases of salt. As much sugar as we could carry. Other seasonings. Dried and canned milk--the whole shelf.

Canning jars and lids. Thousands of seeds. Canning salt.

Chickens and lots of feed.

Except for the chickens, I have most of this stuff already. Would just wanna stock up as much as possible while I could :)

·
gagged
3,833 Posts
Lentils
Rice
Canned meats & fishes
spices
salt
garden seeds
duct tape
tarps
clear painters plastic
pool shock
toilet paper
under ware
wash clothes
hand towels
sheets
vitamins
OTC meds
first aid supplies
any animal feed they have as the walmart near me does not stock chicken feed.
ammo, the area walmart does not sell guns
bike tire repair kits for my existing bikes
2 new bikes with accessories

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,754 Posts
We have this exact thread roll through here regularly. And my reply is always the same.

I don't have any top secret sources. So if I know about it, plenty of others do too. I'm not about to go shopping and chance getting caught up in a dangerous crowd situation. That's what being prepared is all about in the first place. So that you don't need to do this.

I may top off the truck tank if lines haven't formed at the pump. But other than that, I'm going to head home and start making preps.

If the situation calls for bugging out, I'm going to be loading the truck and trying to get as big of a head start as possible. Or if the situation calls for bugging in, I'm going to be busy making preparations to preserve my fresh and frozen foods, and getting other preps sorted out and ready to use.

·
On what date did kev sell
5,911 Posts
Originally Posted by Grevlin View Post
1ⓖ -- The features of the new iPhone dominate your day dreams. CNN and/or Fox dictates what to “not worry about.”

2ⓖ -- E - B O L - A – it’s a bug. It’s somewhere in Africa where most bad things originate. (Besides California)

3ⓖ -- The United States decides to fly two Ebola victims home. You never see them ever again, but they are apparently “stable and improving.”

4ⓖ -- Ebola concentrations in Africa and maybe a few other nearby regions. Unconfirmed rumors and reports of cases spreading. Most turn out to be false alarms. You may be getting depressed. A slight tinge of concern this may actually be the start of the end. "Eat, Drink, and be Merry, for tomorrow we die."

5ⓖ -- Half way between blissful ignorance and duc-t (With a T) tapping doors and windows. Ebola is on the news on most channels, most of the day

6ⓖ -- Confirmed Ebola cases in multiple continents including Canada and Mexico. Here is a brief moment of serious contemplation for Grevlin. You may vomit. Feel trapped while standing out in the open. Relax. Don’t Panic.

7ⓖ -- At least one confirmed Ebola case in Continental United States. Fox says “We might have a problem folks. Go buy a shotgun.” As prepared people, you will most likely go to the liquor store cuz that’s all you have left to stock up on. You may bump into Grevlin rollin’ a shopping cart down the isles smiling.

8ⓖ -- Multiple cases in multiple states. Empty seats start developing at work. You are wondering why the **** you are still sitting in yours. You may go home to stay.

9ⓖ -- Multiple cases in your State. CNN says “We might have a problem folks. Go buy a case of water and some Pepto.” You are no longer leaving your “castle” unless REALLY needed.

10ⓖ -- You feel 100% that the time has come. Outbreak, Contagion, mass hysteria, cats and dogs living together, Ebola-brain zombies everywhere, WWZ, Yer done son. There is nothing to do in your day but avoid catching the bug at all costs.

And then... ?

Grevlin may get some answers he's wondered about his whole life. Most likely right at the last moment of said life.
7 says it ALL.

:thumb::thumb::thumb: Thanks Grev.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

·
Closed for the Season.
15,784 Posts
First off, I do have some preps. But nothing near what a really long term situation would require. So I ask you. If you had advanced knowledge of an economic collapse. Or something similar. And you were to jump into your car to hit the local Walmart or grocery store. Before the hoards of people got wind of anything. What would you load into your shopping cart. Now this would be prior to any banking shut downs. So you can use your credit cards. Thank you!
Funny you should mention it but I do have advanced knowledge of a economic collapse or something similar. I do not have the precise date and time but I can guarantee it will eventually take place. Lucky for me I can use the available time to take reasonable precautions and not go out on a limb by buying on credit or mad dashes to the store. So if I was you I would not wait for a "last call" and start being prepared now.

What I have done is to divide my planning stages into short term, medium term and long term disruptions of services. If a event is short term (up to 6 months) I am prepped to not notice it. Medium term events (6 months to a year) are doable but major lifestyle changes would occur. Long term events (greater than a year) become more problematic since there is issues with resupply and the need of services from others.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
In an economic collapse, it's doubtful that you could get enough into your car/truck to be able to survive for the duration so you may as well get the aforementioned beer. If you had advance notice of a month, maybe you could do it. The cards will be useless before the cash is so be sure to have plenty of cash to use after the cards are worthless and people have not yet figured out that the cash will soon be useless, too.

If I had one day's notice, I would first go get myself a big black nasty gun with as much ammo as I could find in all calibers that I might need. You can't have too much of that. Then I would just fill up the truck with whatever else struck my fancy, going to the stores that do NOT have electronic doors--the country store, health food stores, dollar stores, etc., so I don't get caught in a place that I would not want to spend the rest of my life.

·
ALIEN HYBRID
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
credit card

Funny you should mention it but I do have advanced knowledge of a economic collapse or something similar. I do not have the precise date and time but I can guarantee it will eventually take place. Lucky for me I can use the available time to take reasonable precautions and not go out on a limb by buying on credit or mad dashes to the store. So if I was you I would not wait for a "last call" and start being prepared now.

What I have done is to divide my planning stages into short term, medium term and long term disruptions of services. If a event is short term (up to 6 months) I am prepped to not notice it. Medium term events (6 months to a year) are doable but major lifestyle changes would occur. Long term events (greater than a year) become more problematic since there is issues with resupply and the need of services from others.
I have short term covered. But wanted an idea of what I'm lacking. Pet food was mentioned. So that is something to look into. And the reason I mentioned "credit card" was because I could use it and not have to worry about paying it back. At least not for 5-10 years. Kind of like a "SCREW THE SYSTEM" thing. It would make me feel all tingly inside.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,754 Posts
I have short term covered. But wanted an idea of what I'm lacking. Pet food was mentioned. So that is something to look into. And the reason I mentioned "credit card" was because I could use it and not have to worry about paying it back. At least not for 5-10 years. Kind of like a "SCREW THE SYSTEM" thing. It would make me feel all tingly inside.
People have tried that before. When they were absolutely convinced the end was inevitable, they ran out and maxed out their cards. Then when it didn't happen, well, the end result is predictable. Unlike the crisis itself.

Look at how few of our predictions have come true. Are you willing to risk your future economic security on your own prediction of the event? Best to prepare ahead of time. Otherwise, you're really not prepared at all.

You have no assurance that you will be able to stock up at the last minute. Because of a lot of big problems come with little warning.

·
Super Moderator
12,218 Posts
I, too, have some contacts that could give me some advance warning before the public gets it. But it is doubtful it would be more than a week, and much more likely a day or less. If it was something I could weather here in the apartment I would just stay home and ride it out.

If it called for a bug-out I would do so.

Then it depends somewhat on how much money I have available. I do not use credit cards, and I would not use them for such an event, anyway. They will want their money at some point. It is legal debt, and they will find a judge to get an order for a bill collector to find you. That aside, if I had the normal amount of money I usually have on hand, and at least four hours of uninterrupted 'normal' time, I would set aside about one half of the money and get the following:

60% of the money to canned meats. Just meats (and meat in other shelf stable packages). Not soups and stews and main dishes with meat. Just the meat.

Canned beef, canned turkey, canned chicken, canned tuna, canned salmon, canned pork, canned ham, pre-cooked bacon that does not need refrigeration.

I would leave the Spam and Vienna sausages and potted meat behind. I want the high quality, high protein meats. Get the smaller cans/packages to make trading easy.

You can live on just meat for a long time, as long as you have water. There are going to be many people that will not have enough meat to satisfy them, even though they have tons of rice and beans. They will want meat. If there is anything else around, you can get it with meat.

25% of the money in canned fruits. Heavy on peaches, with pears, fruit cocktail, and Mandarin oranges for variety. Adults and especially children need their sweets.

10% in chocolate candy, especially plain Hershey's bars and Hershey's Kisses if not too hot to keep. Tootsie Rolls and Plain M&Ms, too, especially if it is hot. The smaller bars and bags. Also the bags of miniatures.

5% in hard candy. Butterscotch disks, peppermint disks, root beer barrels, hard caramels, Life Savers, etc.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Then I would just fill up the truck with whatever else struck my fancy, going to the stores that do NOT have electronic doors--the country store, health food stores, dollar stores, etc., so I don't get caught in a place that I would not want to spend the rest of my life.
Maybe I'm paranoid, but always park by emergency exits of stores that I frequently go to. They also are near the exits of parking lots. I also back in ;) .

Emergency exits have alarms, but don't need electricity to open.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Chocolate,
cooking oil,
Yeast
Bananas
Mangos
Ice cream
In winter I'd get garden stuff
Sweet corn (not growing that yet)
Etc

Notice anything?

Yes, everything is stuff with a relatively short shelf life.
The time to buy dry rice is YESTERDAY!

I mean seriously... it's $0.50/lb!

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
+ 100 on medical supplies

I'd hit up the Asian market for damn near every dried food item they had, and the local restaurant supply for canned goods.

One clothing item I don't think gets enough consideration is shoes. Lot and lots of shoes, even if they're just crocs. In an environment without hospitals etc just a cut could kill, and shoes wear out.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts