Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some items that you would never leave your house without having them in your backpack?

There are only three things I would care to have:
1. Buck Model 119
2. Leatherman Wave
3. Parachord belt ( for a 36" waist )

I am curious what everyone would choose.

JR

·
V
21,713 Posts
Wrist: Watch, Compass on watch strap, 3 Paracord bracelts.
Pockets:SAK, lighter,Hankerchief, Keyring with minitorch and whistle
Bag:1ltr of water, nibbles (depends), Gloves and hat (if not wearing a coat otherwise they'll be in coat pocket)

·
Registered
5 Posts
If it's just a simple walk in the hills, a gallon of water, a flashlight, cellphone, a gerber, some food to last a couple of days, and some 550 cord. If i were to go backpacking, my pack would have at least two gallons of water, a few days worth of food, depending on the weather warming layers, a sleeping bag, a bivvy sack to keep all the bugs out, extra socks and underwear, foot powder, bug spray, a lighter, i can go on

·
Super Moderator
12,380 Posts
Hiking EDC on me: Prescription glasses w/Transition lenses; Samsung Galaxy S4 Android Smartphone loaded with prep apps; Limeade 13,000mAh power pack w/cord; Yaesu VX-8DR handheld Amateur radio w/spare batteries & AAA battery case; 2x Maglite Solitaire LED flashlight; USB flashlight; Redi-edge knife sharpener; whistle; pocket knife; medications in cache tube; 2 bandannas; Bic lighter; Zippo lighter w/2 fuel tubes; GeoTube w/Duracell Quantum AAA batteries; Gentleman’s SAK; Leatherman Micra; eyeglass screwdriver tool; GeoTube w/eyeglass screws; P-51 can opener; handcuff key; Res-Q-Me seatbelt cutter/window breaker; slim USB drive; USB LED light; Write In The Rain notebook; 2 Fisher tactical clip cap Space pens; Seiko SNZG15K1 self-winding watch w/compass watchband; Cammenga 3H Tritium lensatic compass; Leatherman Surge multi-tool; Wenger Survivor SAK; Surefire G2 LED; 28-40oz SS Kleen Kanteen water bottle w/carabiner; 6 fatwood sticks; Lifefire tin; Lightning Strike fire starter; Lightning Strike spare tinder tube; UCO matches; 50’ 750 cord, and permethrin treated clothing ((Propper khaki cargo pants; Propper 2 pocket khaki shirt w/epaulets; Bullhide belts leather money belt; leather suspenders; WinterSilks V-neck T-shirt; WinterSilks boxer briefs; Merino wool socks; leather safari jacket w/light leather gloves; Henschel wide brim hat; pocket no-see-um headnet; Mission EnduraCool multi-cool tube scarf; Danner Ft. Lewis boots); Glock 21SF and 4 spare magazines in IWB holster/pouches

Plus the following if the weather could turn inclement:
insulated leather gloves; ear warmers; silk or wool scarf/shemagh; Winter Silks silk and/or Eddie Bauer Merino wool V-neck long john shirt and pants; silk sock and glove liners; silk balaclava; Merino wool balaclava; second layer wool socks; toe, foot, and hand warmer packets; CaBoots lambswool lined shotgun boots

In/on the actual pack which is a Kifaru E&E 1,000 ci MOLLE pack

1. Whelen tent w/awning & screen door w/zipper 5’H x 7’W x 10’D

2. GI Poncho w/Wiggy’s hooded/insulated liner

3. Berkey Go Berkey single Black Berkey element SS field water purifier, primer, & carry pouch

4. 40 ounce stainless steel Kleen Kanteen w/fold down ring top w/2x Canteen Shop Olicamp 16oz stainless steel folding handle graduated cups, Self-reliance outfitters SS water bottle stove, Self-reliance outfitters SS water bottle hanger, Self-reliance outfitters SS folding handle cup lid Self-reliance 4”x10” water bottle carrier

5. OKC-3S bayonet/fighting knife/utility knife

6. Petzl TacTikka + RGB headlight

7. Solio Classic2 Battery Pack and Solar Charger smartphone mini-B USB port solar charger

8. Cold Steel Rifleman’s tomahawk – protection, dispatching trapped animals, wood work

9. SpoolTool w/75’ 550 cord & 200’ 42# bank line

10. Food bag w/jerky, GORP, Millennium Ration bars, salt, bouillon cubes, & coffee/tea/hot chocolate packets, protein bars, Horlick’s tablets, fruit cake, Chicklets gun, Tootsie Rolls, water flavoring, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt, lemon juice, Everclear, coffee mate

Out here in Nevada, if you get caught out without the right gear, you will die whether it be spring, summer, fall, and especially winter.

Just my opinion.

·
OTP Rebel
997 Posts
Couple bottles of water, some snack food, sawyer filter, cord, handgun,socks toilet tissue, hand sanitizer for the overreaching times. 3Liter hydration kit,water tabs, Western Large David Bowie ,Western 4 " blade, more socks. Firemaking kit. Space blanket and poncho-elcheapo ones. Leather gloves. IFAK.

I can make a shelter if I get stuck out for the night.

That's all in a Ranger Green Tactical Tailor Removeable Operator's Pack.

It will attach to The Kelty Pack, Molle II, Alice or CFP-90

If the Operators Pack is attached things have gone way downhill

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Any time we hike... my basic kit includes water for the day, extra socks, hat & gloves as appropriate, at least three small ways to create fire and fire starters, one large plastic bag per person, a bright compact flashlight, extra AA's, three knives, 100' paracord and a coach's whistle.

In approximately 2011, an acquaintance and his two young boys died of hypothermia on a day hike in the Ozarks. They got "lost", the cold and rain came in and they ended up dead. He was an experienced Scout and Scouter, both of his kids were Scouts... they had all been trained and knew better. But they went out unprepared and paid the ultimate price. A way to create fire would have saved their lives. Plastic bags to use as ponchos may have saved their lives. A whistle might have saved their lives. A bright flashlight might have saved their lives. Better clothing might have saved their lives. Being prepared WOULD have saved their lives. It would have turned a deadly experience into a miserable night in the woods but they would have made it home.

After that I completely changed my outlook on even a short walk in the woods.

NGH

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Any time we hike... my basic kit includes water for the day, extra socks, hat & gloves as appropriate, at least three small ways to create fire and fire starters, one large plastic bag per person, a bright compact flashlight, extra AA's, three knives, 100' paracord and a coach's whistle.

In approximately 2011, an acquaintance and his two young boys died of hypothermia on a day hike in the Ozarks. They got "lost", the cold and rain came in and they ended up dead. He was an experienced Scout and Scouter, both of his kids were Scouts... they had all been trained and knew better. But they went out unprepared and paid the ultimate price. A way to create fire would have saved their lives. Plastic bags to use as ponchos may have saved their lives. A whistle might have saved their lives. A bright flashlight might have saved their lives. Better clothing might have saved their lives. Being prepared WOULD have saved their lives. It would have turned a deadly experience into a miserable night in the woods but they would have made it home.

After that I completely changed my outlook on even a short walk in the woods.

NGH
Tragic....I think I read that article at the time.

As a kayaker, I never make an open water crossing without safety gear to survive on the other side over night. How far is an open water crossing you say? Well 1 Meter farther than you can personally swim. :)

With that in mind when I hike, I take into account how long it will take for someone to hike out, find help and come and get me. I assume that during that time it will be raining and cold and windy and dark. So typically a knife, firesteel, hammock/tarp, water, pot and stove. Sounds like a lot but it all fits in an 8L drybag and weighs maybe 3-4 pounds.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Water water WATER! A one day hike means a few ounces of food and at least 6 lbs. of water. (That's the desert for ya!)

A butane lighter and a SAK come in handy too. Everything else is frosting on the cake. (I take a couple lbs worth of frosting.)

The most important thing is what I leave behind with my wife. An itinerary.

·
reluctant sinner
18,074 Posts
I wear a Photon and Streamlight Nano on my dogtag chain with my diabetic ID 24/7.

If I leave my porch I have a: hat, gun, knife, BIC lighter, trekking pole and usually some water. A lot of times my 2 m handy talkie radio.

·
Certified Organic Grower
4,969 Posts
gotta love the necro threads...

Bushlore w/firesteel
FAK
Klean Kanteen 40oz

I solo backpack 95% of the time, and these three are constant companions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts